Where to dive in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSherrill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are looking to spend a month or so diving in Indonesia with possibly a stop in Palau. Indonesia is so huge, I'm looking for some recommendations as to where to go. We are both photographers who love to shoot large and macro subjects alike.

Since we're looking to stretch our trip as long as possible, I'm interested in budget friendly lodging. Thanks!

My husband and I are looking to spend a month or so diving in Indonesia with possibly a stop in Palau. Indonesia is so huge, I'm looking for some recommendations as to where to go. We are both photographers who love to shoot large and macro subjects alike.

Since we're looking to stretch our trip as long as possible, I'm interested in budget friendly lodging. Thanks!

My Indonesian experience is limited to Bali. With that as a 'level set', "budget" accommodations at dive sites can be had for < $US10 a night. Generally US$80-$US100 gets you pretty swanky digs. But for the US$10 gets you a reasonably clean bed and a cold water shower.

Good muck diving up north in Bali at 'Secret Bay'.

If you go to Bali, spend some time in Ubud. There is life outside of diving.

Bangka Island, Bunaken and Lembeh strait in Sulawesi is awesome, as is Alor and Komodo and for something really different there is a private island off the coast of Padang in Sumatra called Cubadak - lovely sponge garden and soft coral diving there. You will find your budget goes a long way in Indo. Raja Ampat of course is also spectacular but liveaboards may be the budget blowers.

There are home stays on Palau and cheap accommodation but diving itself isn't cheap. Lembeh and bunaken twofish divers or Bali twofish divers at lembongan very affordable. Lots of other accomm on offer in bangka, lembeh, Bali, gilli islands, Lombok all very cheap.

Bali is great for the budget conscious and had a nice variety of options on land and underwater.

I'm in love with Lembeh - been twice in the past 5 months and am trying to figure out dates for my next trip. I stay at NAD coz their guides are awesome and I love Simon & Zee. And it's reasonable on the budget front.

Indo is a big place, but I'm sure you'll find an excellent collection of places for your first visit!

Reactions: jbb
If I had a month to travel in Indonesia, here is a list of places I would not go to: Bali (unless in transit), Lembeh, Derawan, Sangalaki, and Kakaban. Not coincidentally, these are all places I have been to and enjoyed and recommended. But they are the beaten path. They are not the best Indonesia has to offer, just the most accessible.

I would look at Raja Ampat and Komodo National Park, if there are ways to do them within your budget, and I would look at places in Sumatra, Ambon, Timor, Irian Jaya (West Papua now) and elsewhere that are overlooked by most divers for lack of time.

I would agree with mostly everything said, and pay special attention to the South Lombok area, good diving, remote and great value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom