Where to dive in Western Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dived Redang 2 years ago and loved it. This time, I'm considering going to Tioman or the Perhentians. Is the diving there on par with Redang? I've heard that the marine life isn't as good on these islands. Should I just head back to Redang? I'd really like to see some pelagics if possible. They eluded me last time. I like the value of backpacker style accom but good diving is more important to me. I'll shell out if it's really worth it.

In my opinion, Redang is the better option with Perhentian a close second; Tioman is nice but not as good.
An other option you may want to consider is doing a wreck trip around Tioman (7skies, Repulse, Turtle Wreck); you will get outstanding diving but it is quite deep - at the limits of recreational diving and better to decompress; good chances to see pelagics including mantas...

Has overfishing caused any problems on the Perhentians?

Perhentian islands are part of Malaysian marine parks. If I am not mistaken, not fishing is allowed within 3 km (~2 miles) from the shorelines of the islands. It is against the law. The marine life in Perhentian islands are quite comparable to Redang island in my opinion.

I've seen the Ocean Rover *Click Here* is running summertime live aboard trips in this area and have wanted to take it myself.

The call these trips "Adventure Cruises and the itineraries Include:
Ko Samui, Ko Kra, Ko Losin in Thailand.
Pulau Perhentian, Pulau Redang, Pulau Tenggol, Pulau Tioman, Pulau Aur in Malaysia

RSdiver once bubbled...
I'v e seen the
Ocean Rover *Click Here* is running summertime live aboard trips in this area and have wanted to take it myself.

The call these trips "Adventure Cruises and the itineraries Include:
Ko Samui, Ko Kra, Ko Losin in Thailand.
Pulau Perhentian, Pulau Redang, Pulau Tenggol, Pulau Tioman, Pulau Aur in Malaysia

I think that would be great but really, it's way out of my price range.

ocean rover looks a nice boat, seen it from a distance but seesm a lot of money for the qulaity of diving, better to spend that osrt of money somewhere more exotic!!!!

For southern malaysia tioman / aur etc could try http://whitemanta.com/
does good weekend trips out of singapore

Jiveturkey,

Live-a-board operator in Singapore.

If you like to party, try friendlywaters.com.sg.
If you like quietness, try vincentdive.com or whitemanta.com; same owner.

Prices are good with different level of comfort.

P.Redang will be a better choice if you ask me.

Albion is right, Ocean Rover is a lot of money,
but you get to do 5-6 dives a day which is more than land based resorts provide.
A liveaboard also gives you the opportunity to dive a variety of locations.

Ocean Rover is an extremely well laid out boat.
Mark Strickland is an excellent DM, host, and world renowned photographer who will guide you with personal attention should you wish to find special subjects.

I've been to expensive ($250/day) resorts like Wakatobi where they assigned 10 divers to our DiveMaster for all 2 weeks and then made us photographers wait in a queue until all 8 non-photographers had viewed the subjects. Only then were we allowed to photograph them. I waited over 20 minutes for the sand to clear the ribbon eels at Roma after two non-photographers finned the sandy bottom into a cloud. Complaining to the DM resulted in affirmation and the response "but what can I do?" and a shrug of the shoulders.

Completely changes your mind about land based resorts.

RS,

I don't think its a case of land based vs liveaboard.

On my last two trips after the owners/managers saw my buddy's and my camera gear they assigned us DM's (actually one of them refuses to be called DM he believes the correct term should be dive guide , DM should stay on the boat) who were used to diving with photographers.

One even dashed off to get his own camera.

One of these trips was land based the other liveaboard.

I think you have just got to specify with the operator exactly what you will do. This may mean being breifed and then not diving with the guide.
This will certainly improve your skills in spotting stuff.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom