Where to dive in Western Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but hampered if the operator doesn't have enough staff to go around...

Hamburger is right, unless the dive resort cannot accomodate the requests.

There were 5 DM's for 30 divers and 2 boats.
We had 12 divers on our boat and 2 DMs, but one DM/owner, Lorenz Maeder, decided to give special attention private dives to two VIP divers/doctors
leaving 10 of us to dive with the other DM for all 2 weeks.

We asked Paul about breaking the group up and he said Lorenz is the Boss. Mark Strickland doesn't operate this way.

Jiveturkey,
Pulau tenggol and Redang are better bets for diving. Just recently got back from both sites and eventhough viz was not that good in redang on this particular trip, I have seen better days there. Tenggol is still my favourite, as it is less commercialized (only 3 operators on the whole island) and some pretty devent dive sites (although with fast currents at some spots and cold water, even from the tropics).

You'll like Tenggol.

If you do go to E.Malaysia (Sarawak), there is of course Sipadan, Layang-Layang, Luconia and lesser-known sites in Miri and northern Sabah and of course the WWII wrecks in Labuan. Miri is also famous for the Mulu caves, if you'd like to see a bit of the place before you leave.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be back at Redang and then maybe down to Tioman for a few days. Either way, I'll be wet most of the time.

Hi jiveturkey,

Since you've already been to Redang, you should try the Perhentian Islands. Its great and they've got many fantastic dive sites that you can explore. I was there last May. Lotsa fish and gorgeous soft corals. If you're lucky maybe you can even spot a whale shark. I heard they came to the islands for a visit during August!

Cheers....:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom