Where to dive middle of November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tettyg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

I am going to be in Australia mid November and I'm trying to decide where the best place is to dive. I had 200+ dives. I'd like to do a liveaboard and perhaps a few land based days. I've read that the most northern liveaboards in the Coral Sea have strong currents. I've dove a few times in Cozumel. Does anyone know if the current is stronger in the Coral Sea? Any and all thoughts are most welcome. Thanks you so much!

You'll find that dive boats up in the Coral Sea will avoid currents by choosing more appropriate and sheltered sites, offer drift dives, or choose a better time to visit a specific site.

The biggest cause of current that affects the Coral Sea is the tide. In mid November here in Port Douglas we have the best seats in the house for the 2012 Solar Eclipse. With the Sun and the Moon in conjunction and the Moon being at one of the closest points to Earth in it's orbit, you can expect the tides to be big, almost 3 metres.

With this in mind I would probably recommend a liveaboard, as they will be catering for divers. Day boats have to offer suitable sites and conditions for snorkellers and this will hinder what they can offer for divers.

Once you've done a liveaboard on the Coral Sea you'll find day boats don't offer much in comparison. However one notable exception is the wreck of the SS Yongala. This dive site is exposed and the current can be very strong. However this is what attracts much of the larger species that reside on the wreck, and can easily be avoided by hugging the wreck.

Thank you Mattoau. I have no choice about the time frame. Is there a dive company you would suggest? And if I understand you correctly, the currents are too strong, is that correct? I don't mind some some current but don't want to spend my precious time dealing with current and not enjoying the sites.

Many thanks again for your response and anyone else who cares to make suggestions. I am so excited to be going to Aussie land!

No the currents are not too strong, they are avoided by choosing different sites at different times.

Operators to choose from are; Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Prodive. Personally I would choose Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom as these two will take you to Steve's Bommie, Pixie Pinnacle, The Cod Hole, and depending on which trip you choose, maybe Osprey Reef. IMO these are some of the best dive sites in the Coral Sea.

Back
Top Bottom