Where to Dive with Jr. Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you priced diving "somewhere in the Bahamas"? IDK how much you plan to do but on the two main islands, Nassau or Freeport, it's all boat diving. Actually except for some limited shore diving off Exuma all the Bahamas are.

Limited options mean the prices are high - Stuart Coves gets $125 per 2 tank dive. Bahama Divers gets $139. BD also offers a 3rd dive for $89 - Coves will do 2 tanks in the afternoon also. Coves does some bundling with Nassau resorts since they're 45mins. south of there - they include the shuttle in the price. Both pick up at most of the Cable Beach/Paradise Island resorts. Similarly on Freeport - UNEXSO offers 2 dives/$99 - 3rd dive is $49.

Look into St. Thomas's East End also. One of the signature St. Thomas dives is Cow/Calf Rocks - it's 40'. Nearby the Cays diving (Grass, Congo etc.) has some equally shallow options. We did a drift dive off Grass Cay once - enough current to keep moving but only about 30' deep. Coki Beach on St. Thomas is also a shallow shore dive - one of two on the island. Downtown is kind of grungy though - so plan to go thru it to somewhere else. Also the cruise pier is there.

Also look into the BVI's. They can be more expensive on the surface but the diving is shallow and cheaper. You fly into St. Thomas and take the fast ferry over - takes an hour.

10 dives with DiveBVI is $490 and they are one of the best I've dove with - true valet operation, often 2 DM's in the water at no extra charge. Check the dive sites on their website, they list depths. At some you'd need a shovel to get deeper. Most fall in the 20-80' range except their wreck alley which is a little deeper. And the Rhone wreck is 70' at the bow. But the stern dive is shallower - and IMO the better of the two. DIVE BVI-British Virgin Islands Scuba Diving-It's what we do!

I like the Bonaire suggestion since you can find a lot of dive resorts that bundle diving/room/truck rental as a package. Some include breakfast. Plaza Resort is the only full AI but the Divi Flamingo has a meal plan. At the Divi, I wouldn't bother, downtown is blocks away. One "gotcha" is that the on-water dive resorts charge a PP rate - move to the other side of the street in some areas and you can get a per apt/condo rate instead. And they'll all have a dive package available. Bonaire Offical Site - Top Destination for Diving and Eco-Activities

My suggestion though might be Curacao instead. The diving is practically identical, it's often a little cheaper to get there from the U.S. and most of the entries are off beaches instead of ironshore/coral rubble like Bonaire. Also just about all have an on-site dive operator and food, bathrooms etc. - something lacking on Bonaire once you leave the resorts.

Check the individual site pictures for the entry differences between all 3 of the ABC islands. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

You will need to drive more between dive sites but you need a truck for either island really. Buy some afternoon boat dives on Curacao, they still go to good dive sites just shallower so they can do their Discover Dives/Cert. dives also. One option on Curacao is the Dive Bus also - there's nothing similar on Bonaire. A full AI there is the Sunscape - a partial AI is Lions Dive. Both have Ocean Encounters shops on-site. Sunscape is also a kid-friendly resort. Curacao - a Tropical Island Paradise

Curacao has a lot more non-dive things to do than Bonaire also - esp. for the kids. If you're not set on all-inclusive, the Marriott Emerald Resort in Piscadera Bay is nice and convenient to most things. Caribbean Sea Sports on-site for diving and they do both boat dives and shore dives there. Downtown is the cruise port so it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to stay there. PBay is just far enough north to miss all the congestion - about 2 miles.

Last edited:
My kids are 10 and almost 14 (he will be when he is OW certified) and so this will be their first time diving. I want someplace that is committed to their safety, as well as getting them off on the right foot with diving. Our local dive shop certifies with SSI. Husband and I are NAUI advanced certified, but it has been 14 years (note the correlation) since we last dived. We will be taking a refresher with them.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 08:49 PM ----------

No more bets please... no more bets.

Why do you say this?

My kids are 10 and almost 14 (he will be when he is OW certified) and so this will be their first time diving. I want someplace that is committed to their safety, as well as getting them off on the right foot with diving. Our local dive shop certifies with SSI. Husband and I are NAUI advanced certified, but it has been 14 years (note the correlation) since we last dived. We will be taking a refresher with them.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 08:49 PM ----------

Why do you say this?

Cause he's a greedy gut - what he means is "nothing to see on Bon - move along. Go to curaçao or Aruba or cayman or somewhere else. Nothing to see on Bonaire".

Depending on their age, Roatan at all might not have a lot of dives they can go on due to depth. The dive shop I work for has people in Bonaire now and the truck they have was "ransacked" (the DM's on site description of the events) twice in one week. Key Largo has some really good dives and operators. French Reef and the wreck of the Benwood come to mind. Also Grace Bay in Provo (Turks and Caicos) is shallow, and easy diving. We took our girls there when they were Jr. Divers and both worked out really well.
Some of the best dives I have ever been on were with our daughters, have fun.

Last edited:
Spent a week at divi and used their boats and dived from their dock all week. Never did the truck thing. It's common knowledge that you don't leave anything valuable in the trucks, leave the windows down, and don't lock em. If you do anything else you're asking to have it ransacked.

What is AKR--Anthony's Key Resort?

Also, my daughter is 10, son is 13, will be 14. That may help in the discussion.

yes on AKR...& IMO, 10 YO is another story, good luck there......(10 YO is a big difference vs 12 YO).....You probably need to do some 'calling' ahead....

PADI Diving for Kids | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

PADI Age Limitations for Jr. Certifications

Jr. SCUBA Divers (Ages 10-14)

Maximum Depth: 40 feet
Must be accompanied by a renewed PADI professional

Jr. Open Water Divers (Ages 10-11)

Maximum Depth: 40 feet
Must be accompanied by parent or guardian that is of legal age

Jr. Open Water Divers (Ages 12-14)

Maximum Depth: 60 feet

Jr. Advanced Open Water Divers (Ages 12-14)

Maximum Depth: 70 feet

NIGHT DIVING OR WRECK DIVING IS NOT PERMITTED FOR CHILDREN AGES 10-11.PADI Age Limitations for Jr. Certifications

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 06:57 AM ----------

AKR might be a good fit for a couple of other reasons also. There's a small plane wreck they use for training dives - it's at 30'. Many of the dives we did nearby - not with AKR but they use the same moorings - started around 20-30'. At many the dive rolls off and gets deeper somewhere between 40-60' so just stay on top of it. They take cruise divers to Overheat so that's a popular option for them. Overheat Reef Dive Site on Roatan Island, Honduras Your son can probably do the Dolphin Dive also - it's at 60'. Little sister can do the Swim or the Snorkel. Some say the snorkel is better than the dive anyway.

Last edited:
I'll add my vote for Key Largo... great dive sites all within a short boat ride. Lots of fish, great little wrecks that attract them and stuff to do when you're not diving as well.

Think of this as a trial run for the other places later on - get some dives under their belt plus you get to see how everything gets along dive-wise.

PADI Diving for Kids | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 06:57 AM ----------

AKR might be a good fit for a couple of other reasons also. There's a small plane wreck they use for training dives - it's at 30'. And their shore dive isn't much over 40'. Many of the dives we did nearby - not with AKR but they use the same moorings - started around 20-30'. At many the dive rolls off and gets deeper somewhere between 40-60' so just stay on top of it. They take cruise divers to Overheat so that's a popular option for them. Overheat Reef Dive Site on Roatan Island, Honduras Your son can probably do the Dolphin Dive also - it's at 60'. Little sister can do the Swim or the Snorkel. Some say the snorkel is better than the dive anyway.

This is very helpful. Thanks. She understands that she may not be able to do all the dives, and Dad will be her dive buddy. She is also really keen to go there because of the dolphins and the land-side activities as well. Plus they are running a 2 for 1. We are looking hard at Key Largo, based on recs here, and also Bonaire but I kind of don't want to deal with meals and gear and stuff. Just getting the kids acclimated to diving will be enough on my mind, which is kind of why I am looking for an all in one package. Once we have a bit more experience under our belts, we will do more DIY diving (for lack of a better term).

I am especially concerned about my kids' safety. That is the only thing on my mind. We will be their constant buddies, and want dive masters with us. Fortunately both of my kids are smart, responsible (and I think) capable of taking this on. The age gap between them makes me think I don't want to make my son wait any longer. My daughter is strong and a good student so--we'll see and hope for the best! She will be nearly 11 when we actually go, so there's another year to grow and mature a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom