Where to go in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to do 2 weeks of diving in the Caribbean with my father soon, but don't even know where to start. I've been diving for about 10 years now, though I took 4 years off... Have been back at it for a year now. Very comfortable in cold water, even more so in warm. My dad hasn't been diving in 20 years, though, so I figure warm water is definitely the best way for him to get back into it. And vacations are always great. :D

With that said, we'd really like to see reefs with lots of colourful fish species, and possibly even some more exotic animal species like mantas. Sharks would be great as well.

A big issue is the local culture... I'd really like to avoid resorts and crowds, and would love to find somewhere that's a sleepier area where we can get a little pension in a fishing town or something comparable but still have access to some amazing scuba.

Thoughts that have come to mind have been Belize, Cuba, and Mexico.

Any thoughts on these locations would be greatly appreciated!

(Re Mexico: also curious about Gulf of California vs Caribbean)

I don't know if you're up for a liveaboard experience, but my trip on the Don Jose/Sea of Cortez(aka Gulf of California) and my trip on the Nautilus Explorer (Socorro Islands) were both mind-blowing....the Socorros are pretty much 100% guaranteed multiple close-up-and-personal Manta encounters! The life forms are often significantly different than what you'll see in the Caribbean as well. The Sea of Cortez was uber 'fishy', among other things the sea floor carpeted with an astonishing array of every possible kind of starfish imaginable, I'd never seen anything like it! (that being said, those trips were a few years ago, and I don't know if the starfish wasting disease has impacted the Sea of Cortez or not.)

I'm looking to do 2 weeks of diving in the Caribbean with my father soon, but don't even know where to start. I've been diving for about 10 years now, though I took 4 years off... Have been back at it for a year now. Very comfortable in cold water, even more so in warm. My dad hasn't been diving in 20 years, though, so I figure warm water is definitely the best way for him to get back into it. And vacations are always great. :D

With that said, we'd really like to see reefs with lots of colourful fish species, and possibly even some more exotic animal species like mantas. Sharks would be great as well.

A big issue is the local culture... I'd really like to avoid resorts and crowds, and would love to find somewhere that's a sleepier area where we can get a little pension in a fishing town or something comparable but still have access to some amazing scuba.

Thoughts that have come to mind have been Belize, Cuba, and Mexico.

Any thoughts on these locations would be greatly appreciated!

(Re Mexico: also curious about Gulf of California vs Caribbean)

If you are thinking about Belize, check out
Huracan Diving Lodge - Best location in all Belize when it comes to diving.
www.blueholedivingbelize.com

You might check out Xcalak, MX, about 3-4 hrs S of Cancun. Very small, quiet ecotourist village with big fish and reefs, and the protected Xcalak National Marine Park (Costa de Cocos - Enter our Underwater Wonderland and Explore the Xcalak Reef National Marine Park , XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico ) . Small hotels or VRBO or AirBnB. Besides a diving destination, the area also has world class fishing (outside the Park).
You can find some small hotels, even dive hotels on Cozumel. Great diving pretty much all the time, I believe.
You can find good accommodations, not resorts, on Roatan, Honduras bay islands, and awesome diving. Great!! dive op there: Enjoy Quality Time Scuba Diving Roatan
I enjoyed diving in Cuba, and the way to go is stay with families in casas particulares (your own private room(s) and bath). Enjoyed Playa Giron's (Bay of Pigs) gorgeous reefs, but not much big fish; Cayo Levisa, a very small all inclusive with little apartments; and Trinidad's (beautiful Cuban colonial UNESCO town) Playa Anchon. I understand Maria de la Gorda has some great diving on the western tip of the island.
Or out of La Paz in Baja del Sur, Sea of Cortez, during the early part of the year, you have whale sharks, whales, calves in some parts of Baja.
cheers!

Last edited:
OP, I have listed some small, off the beaten path suggestions below, but your post said "very soon" so when are you planning to travel? Keep in mind that waters in the southern Atlantic/northern Caribbean can get chilly in the winter months. That includes the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, and Cayman - and probably Cuba too, but I have never been there. I am just saying that you should check out the average monthly water temps before selecting a location if you are looking for warm water.

Dominica is a small island with beautiful scenery, nice locals, and lovely diving. No sharks but we saw humpback whales while we were there - from the boat. But when diving we saw lots of unusual fish like frogfish, seahorses, and flying gunards. We stayed at the Castle Comfort Lodge. It is a resort but a very small, diver dedicated place and they served many local foods. We didn't much care for the area around Roseau, but we haven't been there recently.

Dominica is a bit difficult to get to, we had to overnight in Puerto Rico both coming and going; but since you are going for 2 weeks you could plan to spend a little time checking out that island. Here's the link:
Castle Comfort Dive Lodge | Diving Dominica with Castle Comfort Lodge & Dive Dominica

Another thought, the island of San Salvador in the Bahamas is a great place to see sharks and good diving. I don't know if I could spend 2 weeks there - it's really small - but you could break the trip and enjoy some time on a different Bahamian island. It is a very tiny and quiet place. I remember going on an "island tour" and the driver proudly showed us the "straw market" and it consisted of one little old lady sitting under a tree weaving a bag! The Riding Rock Inn is a small, no frills, resort with family style food; here's the link:
Bahamas dive resort for scuba diving walls, big game fishing San Salvador island

Saba is another "off the beaten path" location with very good diving - but not a lot of sharks - but a very interesting culture. It is a Dutch island and all the houses are white and green with red roofs and have flowers in the garden. It is very steep and rocky but with a rain forest on the top of the island. There is no good area for a cemetery and so all the locals have mausoleums in their back yards. An interesting place.

The Turks and Caicos are a great place to see lots of sharks, but I have only dived that area from liveaboards. You might check out the less developed islands of Grand Turk and Salt Caye to see if you find any place of interest.

Cayman Brac is a small, quiet place with great Caribbean diving and the locals are very friendly and laid-back. There are only 2 dive ops on the island, Brac Shack and Reef Divers. We usually stay at the Cayman Brac Reef Resort - a smallish, diver-dedicated resort and Reef Divers is the on-site dive op. They offer valet diving and your Dad might really appreciate that - we do! ScubaBoard is hosting a trip there in January.

But you could also rent a place and go diving with either op. We usually see some sharks in the Caymans but not many, but lots of turtles, rays, eels, tarpon, and groupers. The island has bird sanctuaries, wetlands, caves, hiking, biking, climbing, and kayaking.

The only places that I have seen mantas have been Kona Hawaii and in Jamaica, much to my surprise!

We didn't see any mantas in the Sea of Cortez but lots of sea lions and we had hopes of seeing whale sharks but that didn't happen. It's a bit colder and rougher than the Caribbean, not so many colorful reefs but nice diving.

Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:
Honduras on the west end of Roatan (one of the bay islands). Plenty of dive shops, places to eat local food and the diving is spectacular.

Some threads that might help follow up some of the suggestions:

Dominica…everything I should know but don’t - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...minica-everything-i-should-know-but-dont.html

I was surprised by how nice the diving was in Dominica. Excellent! - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/le...rised-how-nice-diving-dominica-excellent.html

Dominica Recommendations? - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/494111-dominica-recommendations.html
Distinctive Florida & Caribbean Dive Destinations - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...stinctive-caribbean-fl-dive-destinations.html

Xcalak Dive Trip Report with XTC Dive Center Report.

Undercurrent's Nov. 2015 issue had a free online XTC Dive Center, Xcalak, Mexico article. Turns out you can get in the water with American crocodiles if you want to.

If you skip down to Post #9 in my Cayman Aggressor IV trip report from May, you'll see a write-up of my researching online into the Cayman Islands, including their differences from a diver's perspective.

Consider adding St. Croix to your list to consider:
Discussion about St. Croix as a dive destination - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-caribbean-and-bermuda/504123-st-croix.html

Best Boat & Shore Diving Locations - Best boat and shore diving locations

Overall impressions from first visit to St. Croix - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/overall-impressions-from-first-visit-to-st-croix.522475

It's not known for a lot of 'amusement park' type attractions, you can opt for boat or shore diving, reading online reviews indicates shark sightings are common, there's a variety of underwater topography depending on where you go, a lot to offer.

Richard.

St. Croix. Great variety, shallow and deep, low key, warm water.

St. Croix. Great variety, shallow and deep, low key, warm water.

I thought about St. Croix because it is a very nice destination and the Fredricksted Pier is one of the best and easiest dives in the Caribbean IMO, but I didn't include it on my list because he was looking for "local culture" and St. Croix is one of the US Virgin Islands (and I don't remember seeing many sharks?)

But there is a lot of European influence on the culture of St. Croix - including the requirement to drive on the left! And although they do get a few cruise ships it is not a big cruise ship destination. So I agree with you, Tater - St. Croix is also a good spot to consider!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom