Where To Go, May 2019?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smooboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hubby and I are making our 1st trip to the Philippines. We will be diving Tubbataha April 23-May 1st. We will be staying in the Philippines until May 12th, when we depart from Manilla.
We'd like to do as much diving as possible in that time. We love both muck and reef diving. I expect we'll get the best reef diving of the trip in Tubbataha, but that doesn't mean we won't enjoy other places.

I've messaged a number of dive resorts in Anilao and in Dumaguete. None of the resorts in Anilao respond to my inquiries, whereas all of the resorts in Dumaguete responded within 24-48 hours.
That fact alone is making me lean much more toward Dumaguete.
Of the resorts in Dumaguete we are leaning heavily toward Mike's Dauin Dive resort based on their overall good reviews and the fact that it appears that they have more than one boat (we've been at resorts where the only boat broke down and we lost out on dives).

I'd really appreciate any feedback folks can give me on these questions:
- Is it feasible to travel from Puerto Princessa to Dumaguete to Anilao in 11 days, thus diving both areas?
-Is there some reason why the resorts in Dumaguete have all been responsive while the Anilao resorts have not? Are the Anilao resorts already so booked that they don't need our business? Is early May off season/bad weather in Dumaguete?
-Any recommendations for places to stay and dive or places to avoid in either location?

Our priorities when choosing a dive op are:
1) safety
2) customer service
3) comfort/smaller groups
4) expense

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

I've had quick responses from Anilao dive shops to my inquiries...how are you contacting them? There is a current thread about someone looking for reccos there...pick one in your price catagory and contact them through FB/Messenger.

I wouldn't dive Tubbataha on a first trip to the PI...so many other more easily accessible great dive areas. Either Duma/Dauin or Anilao is great diving. I would probably to Anilao for the back end because it gets you close to Manila and easy to get to the airport on your way home.

Hi smooboy,

regarding the weather in Dumaguete in May: it's my own favorite month based on the last six years I have lived here. May is pretty hot since there's usually very little breeze, but that means there's no waves either and the viz is great. It's the end of the coastal "critter baby boom" so if you like macro/muck you are in for a treat with lot of species around. It's the end of the high season but it's mainly due to travel trends; that time of the year Europeans and Americans are usually travelling less and the Australian travel season hasn't really started yet.

I hope you'll enjoy your trip!

Nothing wrong with diving Tubbataha on ones first trip to Philippines, unless perhaps one is a brand new diver (We had a group of newbies on our boat and they mostly did ok, but they were traveling with their instructor and that was a good thing...)

We've stayed at Atlantis and Pura Vida in Dauin, both definitely have more than one boat.

Surprised by the lack of response. I've been "planning" on a trip for the last 2 months- every Anilao inquiry I've sent was answered quickly. Bluewater Travel was really helpful too.
Anilao is the only place in the Philippines I've been, but I would suggest that it not be missed. My 2 trips there were outstanding, and I like the fact that it's like a land based live-aboard, sometimes with a pool...

Thank you everyone for your responses.
All of my contact efforts, both in Dumaguete and Anilao were made via the emails listed on the resort websites.
If we decide to go to Anilao I'll try again, now just have to decide if we want to give up a day of diving in order to travel from Dumaguete to Anilao, or spend the entire 10 days diving in Dumaguete.
Such problems!

Hi smooboy,

regarding the weather in Dumaguete in May: it's my own favorite month based on the last six years I have lived here. May is pretty hot since there's usually very little breeze, but that means there's no waves either and the viz is great. It's the end of the coastal "critter baby boom" so if you like macro/muck you are in for a treat with lot of species around. It's the end of the high season but it's mainly due to travel trends; that time of the year Europeans and Americans are usually travelling less and the Australian travel season hasn't really started yet.

I hope you'll enjoy your trip!

Thank you, it's great to hear first hand from someone who has been there at that time, and recently!

Anilao and Puerto Galera would be better than Dumaguete + Anilao. No internal flight to catch means more time for diving. Flight from Puerto Princesa to Manila is more frequent than to Dumaguete. Actually I am not too sure if there is direct flight between Puerto Princesa and Dumaguete.

Unless you are mad keen on macro.

I wouldn't dive Tubbataha on a first trip to the PI...so many other more easily accessible great dive areas.

And miss some of the best diving in b the PI?
Definitely dive Tubbataha, I can't get away during its season, but if I could I'd do it in a heartbeat.

For the second leg Anilao has world class Macro if that's your thing. ( Have you tried contacting Buceo Anilao? Excellent operation, and usually very fast response.) Then pair that with PG for more coral/wide angle.
Dumagette/ Dauin has excellent macro also and Apo Island but 10 days or so of diving Dauin might tire you unless you are a macro freak like me.

And miss some of the best diving in b the PI?
Definitely dive Tubbataha, I can't get away during its season, but if I could I'd do it in a heartbeat.

For the second leg Anilao has world class Macro if that's your thing. ( Have you tried contacting Buceo Anilao? Excellent operation, and usually very fast response.) Then pair that with PG for more coral/wide angle.
Dumagette/ Dauin has excellent macro also and Apo Island but 10 days or so of diving Dauin might tire you unless you are a macro freak like me.
One can always return...no need to squeeze in everything on the first trip. In addition, I've read mixed reports on Tubbataha and it's a long way to go. A better use of time would be to dive Apo Island off Mindoro and then swing around and do Anilao/PG on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom