Where to go, what to wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a relative newb to diving and am looking for the right operation, hotel, and other information for a dive trip to Cozumel in December. I'll be going by myself and either need to find a dive op that can accommodate beginners such as myself, but would also like to find an op that has gear valet service, as I don't relish the idea of trudging my gear back and forth to my room. I'd also need to rent gear for the week.

As for a hotel, I'm not all that picky about bed hardness, etc., but I would like to find a place where people congregate instead of staying in their rooms - i.e. not a suite-centric hotel - since I will be going alone. My ideal situation would be to find a hotel with an in-house dive op that would suit all my diving needs. Bonus points if the dive op comes back to the hotel for surface intervals.

I am assuming that while diving in December in Cozumel, I will need a wetsuit to stay warm. What is the general recommendation on this? 3mm? 5mm? I'm usually cold on land, but I actually seem to do much better in the water, so I would probably go with whatever most people use. I'm grossed out by the idea of other people peeing in a wetsuit and not real keen on a rental, so I will likely buy this before I go. Also, what will I need to wear on the boat before/between/after dives?

Finally, as this will be my first dive in a while (my last and only other dive trip was to Roatan in July 2012), would I be better off taking a refresher course or hiring a private DM for my first couple dives? Or will this decision be made for me with a mandatory refresher course?

Thanks in advance!

sup,
My first trip to Cozumel (and first dives in the ocean) was this past January. The air temperature was around 80F-85F while we were there. In water I just used a 3mm shorty wetsuit. It was enough for me, but I am about 6'3" 220lb. Smaller and or skinnier people might get chilled quicker. Out of water, shorts and a tshirt was sufficient for me, but again bring something long sleeve or thicker if you get chilled quickly.

For my first day of diving I hired a private DM and I think it was some of the best money I spent on the whole trip. I was rather nervous to begin with, and knowing I had a professional right there helped out a lot. We also spent a bit of time getting my weighting tuned in correctly. Finally, underwater he pointed out a great many things that I would have otherwise missed. On subsequent days I just partnered up with whoever was on the boat, but I'm still glad I got a DM for that first day.

I can't really help you on the hotel or dive op. I go with my wife and other friends who are not into diving. For those reasons we typically stay at an all-inclusive and I use whatever dive op is on site. I know there are better options for people strictly there for the diving, but it is what it is.

Hi sup and welcome to the board, and this forum in particular. Every dive op in Cozumel has experience with new divers, and can accommodate them so take some time to read the different threads here and get a feel for what appeals to you. The majority of Coz dive ops are not based in/located in hotels and even those that are don't return during surface intervals due to the distance between sites and the cost of gas. Dressel Divers is the only exception I am aware of, and that is because they only dive at the southern sites near the hotel they are based out of (the Iberostar, I think...).

You might like Blue Angel as the hotel is small, very friendly, and divers socialize around the pool, lobby and restaurant. It has an on-site shop that consistently gets good reviews. I'd probably stay with them if I didn't own a house in Cozumel. They don't do valet gear service but the dock is about 50 or 75 feet from the lockers and the hotel rooms. I must look feeble because when I have dived with them, one of the DMs (Jorge) often carried my dive bag for me!

Another possibility is staying back in town at a B&B operated by friends of mine, Dale and Kathy. It's called Baldwin's B&B. As they are quite a ways back, you would DEFINITELY want an op with valet gear service and also someone who picks up in town. The reason I suggest them is that I have stayed there a few times before we bought our own property and they are FUN with a capital F. They have an outdoor kitchen and patiio that is an endless source of socializing and if you like to meet other people, they will make sure you do.

I pretty much always dive with Living Underwater now as they do have valet gear service. I think his rental gear is pretty good and he has warm jackets for you to wear on the boat. You will definitely need something as it is cold at the surface in December. I wear a 5 mm suit and a 3 mm hooded vest underneath, but everyone is different. I'd go with the 5 if I were you...better to be too warm than too cold.

I would imagine shops have different policies about refreshers and you would need to inquire individually about that. But if you've been out of the water for a year and a half, and not all that many dives under your belt, a refresher or individual DM is a good idea, particularly since you won't have a buddy you are familiar with.

I will be arriving down there in early December for the rest of the winter, so if there is anything else I can help you with, just drop me a line.

Hotel Cozumel or Villablanca cater to divers and often have discounted dive packages. Nice enough rooms and pool, etc. that's not too far from town. Intro shore dives from the dock. There should be a mix of dive experience people on the boat to team up with. Last February I wore a 2mm hooded vest under a 3mm full suit. 79 degrees for 1 hour, I needed it. My wife wore 3.5mm with an added hoodie.

I don't think ANY dive ops come back to the hotel for the SI. The dive sites are too far away for that. It's not like in Belize where the sites are close and they pretty much do a series of 1 tank dives during the day. On Coz we do 2 tank dives.

A Blue Angel would work for you, they have good rental equipment and lockers at the dive shop. You'll probably have to rinse and store it yourself, but don't have to necessarily haul it back to the room...bring your own lock. This well give you an opportunity to mix with people as well.

They can give you a refresher course as well.

Most dive ops will either match you up with another 'stray' :-D or make the DM your dive partner. A good dive op will also match you up on the boat with similar dive experienced people as well.

Folks are always hanging out in the lobby, by the dive shop, at the pool & up at the restaurant.

I would think a 3mm suite would be just fine, the water temps were still near 80 just a week or so ago from a report I saw, can't imagine them dropping much over the next month. You may need some sort of a cover up on the boat during SI's and motoring back to the hotel.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 12:15 PM ----------

I will be arriving down there in early December for the rest of the winter...

Oh sure, rub it in! :-D

All sorts of options on where to stay and who to dive with, so I won't jump into the middle of that. I will say that I do not recommend All-Inclusives on Cozumel. Too many good restaurants, too many really nice people, too much fun to be missed if you stay in an isolated AI resort the full time. As to what to wear, I've been down to Cozumel the last three Decembers, and I'll be back this year on the 8th. Water temps were always between 79-82 deg., and I was just fine with the Henderson Polyolefin (about 1 mm, supposed to be equivalent to a 2 mm wetsuit), without a hood. You could add a hood and shorty to that if you needed added warmth. I would definitely recommend a full suit of some kind, just for protection from hydras and sea wasps.

All sorts of options on where to stay and who to dive with, so I won't jump into the middle of that. I will say that I do not recommend All-Inclusives on Cozumel. Too many good restaurants, too many really nice people, too much fun to be missed if you stay in an isolated AI resort the full time. As to what to wear, I've been down to Cozumel the last three Decembers, and I'll be back this year on the 8th. Water temps were always between 79-82 deg., and I was just fine with the Henderson Polyolefin (about 1 mm, supposed to be equivalent to a 2 mm wetsuit), without a hood. You could add a hood and shorty to that if you needed added warmth. I would definitely recommend a full suit of some kind, just for protection from hydras and sea wasps.

Agreed! What a fun island full of great restaurants and some of the nicest people I've ever met in my travels around the world.

While I agree that there are a ton of good people and restaurants on Cozumel, some people just like the ease of an AI. We do. Doesn't mean we never leave and go eat elsewhere either.

As for what to wear, you have to ask yourself how easily you get cold. I dive a skin year round. In the same water, Sue and Kim will want 3-6ml. And a parka between dives.

I don't think ANY dive ops come back to the hotel for the SI. The dive sites are too far away for that.

I will say that I do not recommend All-Inclusives on Cozumel. Too many good restaurants, too many really nice people, too much fun to be missed if you stay in an isolated AI resort the full time.
Actually, the dive ops based at the southern AI resorts may indeed return to the hotel for the SI. At least Dive Palancar does, to the best of my knowledge.

But you don't want to stay at a southern AI resort because all the staff and fellow guests there are unfriendly and it's not fun at all having nightly live entertainment, nor is there any benefit to having your meals and drinks included instead of traveling to and paying for them a la carte along with taxi fare where necessary. And the tranquil beach and jungle setting get in the way of your view of the city with all its concrete and noise, speeding cabs and scooters, and hordes of cruise ship passengers being herded into Diamonds International by overly aggressive salespersons.

Actually, the dive ops based at the southern AI resorts may indeed return to the hotel for the SI. At least Dive Palancar does, to the best of my knowledge.

But you don't want to stay at a southern AI resort because all the staff and fellow guests there are unfriendly and it's not fun at all having nightly live entertainment, nor is there any benefit to having your meals and drinks included instead of traveling to and paying for them a la carte along with taxi fare where necessary. And the tranquil beach and jungle setting get in the way of your view of the city with all its concrete and noise, speeding cabs and scooters, and hordes of cruise ship passengers being herded into Diamonds International by overly aggressive salespersons.

I think we need a sarcasm font. :rofl:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom