Where to go, what to wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Wendy's get the CCP. Don't question, grasshopper, do.

You HAVE to go to see Ray and the fam at El Moro. The corn soup is wonderful. You could get the mole enchiladas with cheese. Still holds the Jefe's Choice Award for best Mole on the Island.

Well, when I have a Carnival party, I HAVE a Carnival party.

But we weren't invited. I don't think we like you anymore. :(

Wet Wendy's is on my list of restaurants to visit. So far my list is only 1 restaurant long. If anyone else knows of good places not too far from Blue Angel for vegetarian food, let me know. I am partial to vegetables, which are always hard to come by on vacation for some reason, and am particularly fond of leafy greens (spinach, collards, kale, etc). I usually end up eating a lot of nachos, pizzas, and cheese quesadillas when I leave the states, which starts to get heavy after a few days.

You guys have been really helpful so far. I've come to the conclusion that divers are nicer, better, more helpful people than most, and you guys are definitely fitting my stereotype. :)

At Wet Wendys, try the cucumber and jalapeno margarita. I didn't think that sounded at ALL good, but it really is. They're huge, and I think two of them counts as a vegetarian dinner...

Wet Wendy's get the CCP. Don't question, grasshopper, do.

You HAVE to go to see Ray and the fam at El Moro. The corn soup is wonderful. You could get the mole enchiladas with cheese. Still holds the Jefe's Choice Award for best Mole on the Island.

If the OP is truly vegetarian (couldn't figure that out by how they described their dietary habits), they need to be very careful about assuming certain menu items are vegetarian. Mole, for example, can be made with chicken stock as the base, thereby disqualifying it as a true vegetarian meal. Equally, you will find that the recipe for such apparent vegetarian-friendly items as Mexican Rice (can be made with chicken stock) or refried beans (can have lard as a flavor enhancer) may not allow a practicing vegetarian to keep their dietary needs in compliance. Plus, to some, vegetarian merely means avoiding beef and other hoofed animals, and that chicken and seafood are acceptable.

If a person is truly vegetarian, I suggest checking with the chef before ordering.

Yes, I was already on to mole as not being vegetarian most of the time.

I eat eggs and dairy, but I try not to eat too much dairy because it's hard to digest. I couldn't do a whole week of cheese quesadillas or nachos, which is often the only vegetarian things on a lot of restaurants' menus. Chicken stock and lard would be unacceptable. I'm hoping for places with a vegetarian section of the menu -- I figure places that cater to vegetarians will probably not contaminate the dishes with stock or lard. So it looks like Wet Wendy's and Rock 'n Java are on my list. I've also heard of a place called Perro Verde which sounds awesome but I can't tell if its still open or not. Also, if there's the equivalent of a Waffle House on the island, that would be great too. I'm sure a carb-loaded dinner of pancakes or waffles and syrup would be awesome after a day of diving.

Yes, I was already on to mole as not being vegetarian most of the time.

I eat eggs and dairy, but I try not to eat too much dairy because it's hard to digest. I couldn't do a whole week of cheese quesadillas or nachos, which is often the only vegetarian things on a lot of restaurants' menus. Chicken stock and lard would be unacceptable. I'm hoping for places with a vegetarian section of the menu -- I figure places that cater to vegetarians will probably not contaminate the dishes with stock or lard. So it looks like Wet Wendy's and Rock 'n Java are on my list. I've also heard of a place called Perro Verde which sounds awesome but I can't tell if its still open or not. Also, if there's the equivalent of a Waffle House on the island, that would be great too. I'm sure a carb-loaded dinner of pancakes or waffles and syrup would be awesome after a day of diving.

Also Le Chef (corner of Av 5 and Calle 5) and La cuisine (Corner of Calle 11 and Av 5) are very vegetarian friendly as is the Thai Noodle Bar in the shopping center area underneath Mega (grocery store). Kondessa has some beautiful salads as well and Kinta has a delicious vegetarian Chille Relleno - with a vegetable ragu filling.

So, I spent half of day 1 of diving puking off the back of the boat. Not so fun. Hopefully tomorrow the ocean will be smoother, but I'm not optimistic. I forgot to pick up Bonine before I left, but I found meclizine in one of the local pharmacies and took one before I got on the boat. It didn't seem to help much. Maybe it was fake, maybe I didn't give it enough time to work, maybe I would have puked even more if I hadn't taken it, hard to say. Apparently you can double them up with no issue, so I think I'll try that tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try dramamine on Thursday. I did want to lose some weight, so at least there's that.

I also got all my in town business taken care of today, but I'll still probably go down there to eat. The things I've had at the Blue Angel restaurant have been good so far, but there aren't a lot of vegetarian options. Had veggie tacos for dinner at Wet Wendys today, and they were ok. I think I'll try Rock n Java tomorrow. Also, I kind of wish I had stayed ar Casa Mexicana now. It looked much nicer than Blue Angel and is a lot closer to everything. Going out wouldn't have to be an outing every time, it could just be a quick trip across the street.

Oh yes, I wound up buying a neosport 3/2 full wetsuit before I left and a beanie. I was plenty warm without the beanie. I brought along a fleece for the SI but it was totally unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

One more thing, I kept sucking in sea water today. Am I just biting too hard on my mouthpiece? I remember doing the same thing in my very first pool session, but somebody told me how to fix that but I can't recall how. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom