Where to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will let you know as soon as I do... Even if my buddy does not go I may still go as long as I can talk my wife into skipping out on the family easter celebration.

Phil

The Saturday before Easter Sunday, the 7th. I'm going to drive down and dive Saturday and then drive back so I can be here for an Easter family dinner. Did I mention I hate Easter...

If it works out right I'll be getting in town around 10 am and be ready to dive shortly after that. Easter weekend (Sunday) I'm committed to going to the in-laws for lunch and whatever else happens... For what it's worth in case anybodies curious, Easter is Sunday 8th April in 2007 and does change dates each year.

I had made plans a few weeks back not realizing that it was easter. I am about 90% sure that I am going down there on Fri night and I will be there all weekend. I have already explained to my family that I NEED to get away from St Louis for a weekend and do some diving, because it will be awhile before I can get away for an entire weekend again. I have not been in the water since about the first part of Oct. I will let you guys know for sure in a day or so if I am 100% going, but I think that I am. Have a good one...

Phil

Well I am going to Table Rock Lake next weekend... I am not sure what the weather is going to be like but I am going either way. If nothing else just to relax a little. From what I have heard the weather is supposed to be pretty cold... I dove today and the water in the pond I was in was 44 and I am damn glad that the air temp was 75 when I got out... Let me know what you guys are doing. If anyone needs a buddy down there.

Well we went to Tabel Rock this past weekend and the down and dirty of it was, air temp 43* water temp at the surface was 57*, temp at 45ft was 55*, vis was abotu 8 ft.

Now I just have to tell a little story about the weekend. Well Sat we get up and it is about 25* outside so since we are diving wet we decide to wait until the afternoon to get into the water. We have never been to Dewey Short so we just took a trip over there in the morning to check it out. Cummings66 I am kind of glad that you were not able to make it because the wind in the main part of hte lake was blowing at about 25 mph and was extremely cold. So we decided that we were not going to dive there, we headed back to the house (which is on Point 2) and dive in that cove to be sheltered from the wind. About 2pm comes and it is just getting about 40* so we decide to strat getting everythign put together and then head to the lake. WELL, then it suddenly hits me like a ton of bricks that I left my regs at my house in St Louis. So needles to say the words that were coming out of my mouth I will not put in here, but lets just say I was not happy. Well all is not lost, the wifes are going to head over to the state park marina to rent a reg set and some boots, because I forgot those too. The marina is about 20 min away so after a little bit my wife calls and says that their dive shop is not open on the weekends yet. WHAT?!?!?! Again I was not happy. They also told my wife that none of the shops at the lake were open yet. Well she got the number and started calling and Scuba Sports was open ( I did not think they were because their website has been down for a while, but I will tellyou about that later in this story). She is talking to Monte on the phone and he tells her that yes we are open and can rent you the gear but we are not open on Sun. She expains the situation to him and he tells her that she can come and get the reg now and then he gave her his cell number to call him on Sun and he would come into the shop and open up for us to take his equipment back. That is and was awesome. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated that. Well anyway we are now all happy and in water getting ready to hit the bottom when my buddy realizes that he does not have his mask anymore. It fell off his arm after he got into the water somewhere. Now we are doing a shore dive and in only about 10 ft of water at the time but we had to kick out of the way of a boat that was being put into the lake so he had no idea when or where he lost it. After about 15 min of looking on the bottom which is completely covered with moss we finally found it and did a dive. It took an aweful lot of work to get that one dive in.

So anyway to Scuba Sports. I talked with Monte on Sun and thanks him a million times for helping me out. I then asked him about his website and he said that the registration expired and they did not know it and by the time they found out someone else had already bought the domain name. So they are in the process of tryign to get that back up and running. I also asked if there were going to be on the lake this year operating and he said that they were not 100% sure yet but they did not think so. They will have their boat in the water for guided dives but that is about it. This past weekend was my fist dealign with Scuba Sports and I have to say that I was impressed. It is to bad that they will not be on the lake because I think I would much prefer to go there to get air than the state park marina. Anyway they are a great shop and have earned my buisness when ever I can give it to them...

So anyway that was my weekend. Sorry it is so long but I just wanted to show how much crap we will do just to get into the water...

I hope that everyone had a great weekend...

Phil

Glad everything turned out ok. In the future, keep Scuba Sports (Branson) number with you as well as the number for Sho-Me Scuba (Springfield). Both owners are usually quite accomodating. Just remember that the owner of Sho-Me Scuba is an avid diver and the lead instructor, so catching him open on the weekends during dive season is difficult (generally after the Beaver Lake DUI event in mid-April). He tends to make trips to the local lakes to teach classes or make search and recovery dives.

I agree that those numbers mentioned above are good ones, and add Jim's shop C&J scuba to the list to call if you're near Beaver Lake.

At this point in time I'm hoping I can dive this coming weekend, I'm sick with the flu and pretty stuffed up. Believe it or not I got sick Saturday and missed out on the Easter stuff as well as diving. I'm on the mend but still in no condition to dive yet. I'm hoping I'm back up to snuff by the weekend. Should be, it's long enough away.

PS, in my drysuit the breezy weather isn't so bad. They're pretty good about stopping the chill, of course my buddies in a wetsuit might turn into an icecube in the meantime.

Man I tell ya, it was nice to get out of the water, get into the back of the suburban and my wife drove us to the house and got out of the wetsuits in the garage. It would have been bad for us that dive wet to be at the dam. I just told my wife that is just one more reason to get a drysuit.

I hope you feel better for this weekend.

Have a good one...
Phil

At this point things are looking up, I can equalize now and my ears have quit popping so much. Still feel lousy but it's getting better. I think around the lake area May is when the boats and most wetsuit divers get out. That's when you'll find the Marina's opening up as well, unless you have numbers to call...

I missed the dinner, they had apple pie (which Judy brought home and it was great) and my favorite Texas Sheetcake (why she never brought that home escapes me). Of course the normal stuff to boot, but the desert is what I love about family dinners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom