Where to mount a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steely123:
I have a small knife and I am looking at places to mount it on a Mares Dragon BC. I am leaning towards mounting it onto one of the pockets, but this BC doesn't have any mounting holes/grommets and I am hesitant to poke any holes in the BC. I may just end up keeping it in a pocket. Any suggestions? And where is the best place to mount it?
Any place on the torso where you can reach it with either hand IMO. Waist strap or cumberbun is good.

Get a hose mount. I have a pig-sticker on my left calf (inside, so I can reach it with right hand...Ocean Master Beta Titanium) and small BC knife (UK Remora) on my inflator hose. Both are extremely easy to get to!

I have the knive mounted on my BC for easy access. Don't really believe in mounting it on the leg.

You could put it on your weight belt.

Places I have carried or still carry a knife are the inside left calf, outside left thigh, weight belt to left, left lower arm and beginning about ten years ago on the left hand side of my waist belt. The only commonality is I like the knife to the left so I can grab it easily with my right hand. I still kinda like carrying my ScubaPro Stiletto on my left forearm, handle down. Mike Nelson mostly carried his Vulcan USD fighting knife on his weight belt, right side I recall.

seahunt.jpg

This past spring I was at Alexander Spring and there was this fellow with his knife stuck in his bathing suit, a Speedo type, I think that is how they do it in France because I have seen pics like that before. Here is an old French made Healthways oval mask and box from I think the late 50s (?), notice carefully the knife on the skindivers right hip stuck into his bathing attire, cool, lol. I think I will start doing that, lol.

DSCF0173.jpg

N

When I learnt to dive, large knives were de rigeur: perhaps it was the influence of 007 in Thunderball! I had a massive knife like a Roman gladius short sword attached to my calf. It could slice a baked bean tin in two, but I never once drew it in the water. When I went tech I was taught to attach a pair of shears on the belt of my harness to the right, and a z-knife to the left. The z-knife is just the thing for monofilament fishing line, and the shears will handle pretty much anything: I've seen them cut a penny in two. Knives are pretty bad with cables and monofilament, which are the 2 biggest hazards. Knives are nice to have around for poking things and as a tool. Unless yours if particularly large, I think your inflator is the best place to put it. With the knife attached, it will hang down, instead of float up, which will take some getting used to. I'd recommend a retainer made out of surgical tube: it's always a little disconcerting to not be able to find your inflator when you want it. The only reason for having a large knife is as a wreck diver, where its main uses are as a screwdriver (with a flat point) and jemmy, for prising out port holes. But you didn't hear me say that and I wouldn't do it myself...

I to am old school. I wear my knife on the inside so it does not snag on anything. This also keeps me streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom