Where to mount the reg with a pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First let me say that I have also had a problem with "Boat Buddies" and have adopted a "Solo Diver" attitude of self dependence. I am also a commercial pilot and I firmly beleive in redundant systems (as in avaition). I have been trained to plan for the worst and hope for the best... a system that has kept me alive for 49 years. I dive with a pony bottle under certain conditions, either a 19 or 30 ft3 depending on depth and environment. My goal is to have enough air to ascend at 30 FPM and do a 3:00 safety stop at 15 ft. I match the size of the pony bottle to my needs for that dive.

I have the bottles mounted on "Ultimate Pony Brackets" from LeisurePro. The bracket mounts to the pony with steel bands, the bracket then attaches to the main tank using a quick release cam band (like on the bc). I mount my pony on the right (regulator side) of the main tank, valve up, and low on the main tank to avoid hose interference. If I need to ditch it, or hand it off, I can hit the cam release by reaching back with my right hand. It is a solid mount and works perfect for rental tanks. My octo is clipped to my BC 6" below my right shoulder. My pony reg (Scubapro R380) and a Scubapro Mini SPG are clipped to my BC about 10-12" below my octo (near my weight pockect) on the same side, with the hoses routed under my right arm. Both positions are within the mounting "Triangle" taught in PADI training. I tried the DIR necklace mounting option, but it did not work for "ME" during diver rescue drills (ie; ditching gear while giving rescue breaths).

Again everone's needs are different and you have to go with what works for you. If you frequently fly on your dive trips I would suggest that you take a look at the thread "TSA ban on SCUBA tanks" in the Tanks and Valves forum. In a nutshell TSA in Washington has now banned SCUBA tanks on airliners (even if empty and the valve has been removed). Unless this ruling is changed you may have to leave your pony bottle home when flying to dive destinations. Worse yet, you may be able to get it to your destination, but run into a "By The Book" TSA agent on the way home who makes you leave your pony tank behind (or not board the aircraft). In light of the TSA problem you may wish to revisit the option of buying your own regulator and BC... back to square one! Good luck.

wmspdi:
I have the bottles mounted on "Ultimate Pony Brackets" from LeisurePro. The bracket mounts to the pony with steel bands, the bracket then attaches to the main tank using a quick release cam band (like on the bc).
I like that! Not being able to release the pony always bothered me.

Again everone's needs are different and you have to go with what works for you. If you frequently fly on your dive trips I would suggest that you take a look at the thread "TSA ban on SCUBA tanks" in the Tanks and Valves forum.

In a nutshell TSA in Washington has now banned SCUBA tanks on airliners (even if empty and the valve has been removed).

I actually checked with the TSA, and they said that SCUBA tanks are OK in checked luggage as long as the valve has been removed. This makes them into something that isn't a "compressed gas cylinder", and OK to travel with.

Terry

I called the TSA office in Washington DC and the TSA agent I spoke with said no way, and quoted the ruling listed on their website. The HQ says one thing, but some field agents are still allowing them for now. It is confusing at best! Hopefull they will all get on the same page soon... and in our favor. Go figure... but this is for a different post.

For mounting options since you won't have your own tanks take a look at these three options.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/pony_tank.html

I think the pony tamer is better than these, but that requires hardware on the main tank. And that would be a serious pain in the *** to deal with everytime you rent.

I have the Ultimate pony bracket (top). Its alright, but since I have 2 cam bands on my BC its difficult to mount it. I saw someone using the pony saddle - or something similar (middle) in Nags Head. Its very simple to slide on and off when switching tanks between dives. I wish I had bought this one.

Neither of these will allow you to hand the bottle off to someone, but in my view the pony bottle is more for my benefit than someone elses.

You want your setup to be quick and easy so you use it every time. I find myself debating whether the UPB is worth the PITA it is to hook it up. But I will be getting my own tanks in May/June (PSTs on back order) at which time I might ebay the bracket - or keep it for when I travel without my tanks.

The third option is for little tanks. I think 30 cuft is the way to go. It can get you back to the surface from 160 ft.

Oooh, I like the look of that pony bag. It looks like I have the option of using it attached to the tank or as a stage bottle. Either way, it seems worth trying to see which method suits me - if I stage the bottle, then I can strap the reg to the bottle, if I mount it, I'll put it on the bottom of my BCD as suggested. Even if I don't get on with it, I still have a nice carrying bag for my bottle which didn't cost too much

Further reading has suggested to me that a 13cuft should be sufficient for my diving (30m max). I get to my dive sites in a number of ways, including a bus, so the ability to easily carry the bottle is rather important. The Pony Saddle looks like the bracket could be a bit awkward to carry about - however, I'll give it serious consideration when I start aquiring so much gear that I need my own truck to go from site to site.

Feedback on the ease of use of the various items has been much welcomed - things always look easy when you try them in the shop (or look at a single picture on a website) - but practical experience is always best (expecially given the rather high cost of these brackets).

I've read about the TSA situation - only interesting from an academic viewpoint as I don't fly into the states much. I have to say that the whole situation really illustrates the way you guys are being treated like criminals by your government. I've been reading about some of the other rules the TSA will introduce - basically you can get fined (without a fair trial or due process) for looking at the guy funny - certainly they appear to be abusing their position and acting without the usual protection you guys get. Land of the Free? But I'm digressing, sorry. The question in my mind is where are PADI and SSI? We put our dollars in, but I haven't heard anything about them trying to protect the interests of their members. The only people who seem to be trying to help us is SpareAir (though probably more for self-interest, than the public good).

But hey, this probably won't affect me much, so this rant is more from outraged sympathy than anything else.

Onec again, thanks for all the posts (I'm not going to reply to each one as that would make this thread even bigger than it alredy is). There has been many useful suggestions, helpful comments and interesting viewpoints

spog

13 CuFt might be a little on the short side for 30m. You might want to go with a 19, since your air consumption in an emergency is likely to be more than when you're relaxing, looking at the fish. I'd probably go with about double what you normally use.

Terry

spog:
Further reading has suggested to me that a 13cuft should be sufficient for my diving (30m max). I get to my dive sites in a number of ways, including a bus, so the ability to easily carry the bottle is rather important. The Pony Saddle looks like the bracket could be a bit awkward to carry about - however, I'll give it serious consideration when I start aquiring so much gear that I need my own truck to go from site to site.
spog

spog:
I was thinking about taking a spare air, buying a 45lb+ wing, using a combination octo/inflator and getting some independant doubles. Any suggestions about the best way to rig these.....?
I really hope you're kidding.

Back
Top Bottom