Where to open a dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made up my mind that I want to do something in Mexico. Currently my choices are the Southern Yucatan coast (Mayan Rivera) or Cabo San Lucas. Also, I am shying away from a resort and will pursue a dive operation.

My reasons for these areas are more personal then dive related, though I think they both offer great diving, otherwise what is the sense in opening a dive operation.

If anyone can suggest another area within Mexico, please let me know. However, I don't want to be on an Island so Cozumel is out.

Also if anyone has negative points about the areas I noted please speak up.

Tonight I have *scheduled* a meeting with my wife to discuss and hopefully get her permission to go on a 2 month road trip for research. :)

A year or two ago there was a woman on the board who was wanting to sell out her interest in a dive operation. I'm pretty sure it was in Mexico. I did a search and didn't find it.

It seemed that We talked her out of selling.
Most of us would love to have what she was thinking of selling!!

Don't know what happened since, The pics of the place looked beautiful.

I just thought it might be worth scrounging through the older threads!!

Best of luck, keep us posted!!

Here is the question...do you want a great location and for your personal enjoyment?...or to make a thriving business.

>If it's a thriving business for profit, then pick a different business, and something you can take a lot of time off. Dive business if a winner resort, will take too much of your time.

>However, if you are looking for someplace you will enjoy, I would keep it a secret, therefore contrary to opening a business.

Sort of a catch 22.

Tavi,

Thanks for the tip. I have done many searches here as well as general internet. There are LOTS of shops and resorts for sale and I have been in contact with them, most are not what I want, some are asking too much for *good will* and others.... well we will see what the negotiations will bring!

JCKCSYCMD,

Dude, you have to be crazy to think you will become rich owning a dive operation. This is rule # 11 in the "how to open a dive operation" guide.

I just want to put a few pesos in my pocket to feed the family and enjoy the day to day routine of running the op. I am tired of working for a company that makes me bill out my time to the client in 15 min. intervals and to be accountable for 7 of the 8 work hours of the day.

I quit my job to persue this. I am done on the 20th!

Hmm...
Would Jep have a problem with me putting in my sig line: "I quit my job to persue opening up a dive operation" It's very close to his situation and his does sounds better. But then he had a job to go to.

Look at the southern area of Belize, near Placencia. I was there last summer and land is going for super cheap. We saw oceanfront property going for around $50,000 (US) for a 1/4 acre or so. You can't get those kind of prices anywhere in the world. The town itself is somewhat impoverished but quirky and fun. The reef runs all the way down the coast into Honduras although it's further from shore than the more well known dive sites up in the cayes.

The primary language is English and there's an airport in Placencia for puddle jumping down the coast. Don't even think about sending vans to the airport, the road was unbelievably bad driving in and out. It would be easy to arrange trips into the jungle for the Maya and Diving kind of packages.

Did I mention that I'm an archaeologist and a bartender? I'd be more than happy to join you as a employee of undetermined purpose. I'm multi-talented!

Good luck on your search! Let us know what's going on!

Rachel

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

>...
Dude, you have to be crazy to think you will become rich owning a dive operation. ....<

Like I said, "...>If it's a thriving business for profit, then pick a different business, and something you can take a lot of time off..."

Good to hear you understand that. I have witnessed a few people attempt to turn a hobbie into what they expected to be reasonably enjoyable and profitable, only to put too many hours into it to enjoy it.

Now for retirees who are already financially vested and secure. Turning a hobbie into a part time business or venture a few days or weeks a year, and write off some of the expenses, that's a different story. Two good examples of friends. One is retired but also does marine surveys (yacht/boat appraisals) and combines this with travel and boat deliveries. Getting paid to sail others boats on top of retirement. Another friend of mine took up aerial photography to write down some of his helocopter expenses during retirement. Both of these two have enjoyed their hobies and made some 'extra' money also.

I think you should check out Costa Rica. I prefer the Pacific Coast over the Caribbean. The country is beautiful, the denizens are friendly, and it is developing its eco-tourism. A dedicated dive resort would be great there. This is one place I would love to return to!

sapphire :tree:

Hi,

I suggest you consider Brazil as a good market. We have great dives and a few real good dive operations. Noronha and Abrolhos are the best, but there are many good sites not explored properly, like Fortaleza, Maceió, south of Bahia, etc. (basiclly the northest of Brazil).

If you need someone to work with you here in Brazil, remember me :)

Regards

Fábio Mansur

means healthy competition. A lot of businesses (chains) thrive on being in a market that is in demand even if there are a lot of other companies that are providing the same services in the local area. Lot's of demand means that if you play your cards right you can steal your competitors clients, meaning all that money they have spent over the years on marketing and advertising is like free money in your business coffer.

Also - being in an area with established dive companies means that the supporting infrastructure to run those kinds of businesses already exists - a trained labor pool, repair facilities (for things like your air conditioing, or whatever), banks, ATMS, resturants for your customers, etc...

I say Cozumel... or Belieze

Thanks for your input.

An update since I asked this question. I have moved to the Playa del Carmen area of Mexico - just across from Cozumel - and am doing some cave (both above and bellow the water) guiding, some kayaking, and cenote cavern dives. I am catering to the discerning adventurer who is looking for a personalized service and my undivided attention to their needs. Oh yeah, and loving it.

The web site is still a work in progress but you can get a bit of an idea about my set up. Check it out at www.diablodivers.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom