Where to send regs away for service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are too lazy for servicing them, you have just two options;

I know that you really didn't mean that. You're generally a nice person. Do we have a translation problem here?

Laziness has nothing to do with not servicing your own regs. Some people just don't have the skills. My neighbor can't even change a door knob himself. Others don't want to buy the tools or have the hassle of it.

@Marie13 any authorized service center can do them. I have shops near me that I trust to do mine (also aqualung or apeks) if you know of a trustworthy shop call and ask if they will do mail in service just understand you will likely need to pay for insured shipping.

When I started diving I did know that I had to learn a number of things and to acquire many skills and to buy a lot of equipment.
No one has all this at the beginning.
If you want to proceed in your training you must follow a number of courses and acquire step by step the required knowledge and skills. And to spend money buying equipment.
I wanted to climb the ladder up to the top, and I did learn very early that being able to service all my equipment was a required step along that ladder.
Some people are happy to stay on the lower step, with just an OW cert, and rely on the staff of shop, resort or boat for doing most things they are not skilled enough for doing themself.
There is nothing bad in being lazy, many people think that laziness is the recipe for happyness...
But if instead one wants to proceed to become a good, qualified diver, then the capability of servicing your equiment is a required step.

I know that you really didn't mean that. You're generally a nice person. Do we have a translation problem here?
Possibly.
Laziness is not an offense here.
It is a philosophy of life, very appreciated here in Italy.
We call it "dolce vita"...

When I did read the title of this topic, something in your words did hurt me.
"send regs away" to be serviced.
I would never separate myself from my regs. Nor allow an unknown guy, possibly with sub-par technical qualifications, to mess inside them.
I service them myself since 1977. And many others here on SB find that this is the only safe way...
I could consider bringing them to a local shop where I know the technician and I thrust him entirely. But also in that case I would ask to be present during servicing...
So my recommendation is to never leave your regs in someone other's hands.
1) find a technician you thrust and ask him to service the regs in front of you.
2) every two years buy a new set, trading in the old ones.
Option 2) could seem crazy, but in the end is not so much more expensive, and it is definitely the safest one.
Exactly as with cars: people using them for work do not buy cars, they long-rent them, and swap for a new car when they exceed the number of kilometers requiring major service (typically 100.000 km here in Europe, which can be less than 2 years for people travelling for work).
Since others addressed the 'laziness' issue, I'll address option 2. The OP has Apeks regs, as I do. I was extremely fortunate to have been able to buy mine from a dive shop connected to an army base in the US, and only paid $477 USD, no tax. The same reg set would have cost me approx. $1500 CAD + 12% sales tax. Spending this kind of money every few years or so on something that can be readily serviced is just plain stupid.

Possibly.

You meant "la dolce vita" but you wrote "pigrizia".

Possibly.

There could be translation issues here.

So me for example I have technical skills. I "work" construction when I get home I'm in middle of renovations on my house. Which means stripping a room completely down to studs, installing insulation putting up new walls, putting in a new floor etc..... and I have a 5 year old to play with and chase around. So am I lazy because when my regs are due for service I will drop them off at a shop instead of buying or breaking out more tools and adding yet another thing onto my plate.

And as I mentioned above some people don't have the technical skills to tear apart and put back together something like this.

Also here in the US if you do it yourself you void your warranty some people do care about that.

So yes I have a shop do my regs and will continue to do so.

You meant "la dolce vita" but you wrote "pigrizia".
Definitely a translation problem.
"Pigrizia' is not an offense here. Many people are proud to have it.
I have a lot of "pigrizia" and I am happy and proud of it.
And we often see advertissment on the TV which leverage on the concept that a lazy life is the best...
They show happy people relaxing while drinking or eating something, in contrast with other people around, who are working hard and are unhappy.
I am quite proud of being lazy. My philosophy can be expressed in the following phrases:
- take it easy
- why doing today something I can do tomorrow?
- why doing myself a job which I can pass to others?
- hurry kills
- people in hurry are affecting also you: ask them to slow down.
- work nobilitates a man, but makes him too tired.
- always get maximum result with minimum effort.
Albeit this is what drives most of my life, when it comes to diving, then it is a passion! And for my passion I overcome my natural, profound laziness.
I wanted to become a good, complete diver, so I included servicing the equipment in the long list of things to learn.
As said, thanks to my laziness, I fully understand people who make the choice of not caring of servicing their regs themself. Everyone has the right to their own list of priorities...
Everyone has the right to be lazy about the things he wants. And no offense should be taken for this...

Definitely a translation problem.
"Pigrizia' is not an offense here. Many people are proud to have it.
I have a lot of "pigrizia" and I am happy and proud of it.
And we often see advertissment on the TV which leverage on the concept that a lazy life is the best...
They show happy people relaxing while drinking or eating something, in contrast with other people around, who are working hard and are unhappy.
I am quite proud of being lazy. My philosophy can be expressed in the following phrases:
- take it easy
- why doing today something I can do tomorrow?
- why doing myself a job which I can pass to others?
- hurry kills
- people in hurry are affecting also you: ask them to slow down.
- work nobilitates a man, but makes him too tired.
- always get maximum result with minimum effort.
Albeit this is what drives most of my life, when it comes to diving, then it is a passion! And for my passion I overcome my natural, profound laziness.
I wanted to become a good, complete diver, so I included servicing the equipment in the long list of things to learn.
As said, thanks to my laziness, I fully understand people who make the choice of not caring of servicing their regs themself. Everyone has the right to their own list of priorities...
Everyone has the right to be lazy about the things he wants. And no offense should be taken for this...

The man doth protest too much, methinks

Regs = lots of little pieces. Not my idea of fun. I have enough of little springs and such when I take my handguns apart for cleaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom