Where to train - Mexico or Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"compressor .ginnie was "tiger woods" place to get full cave cert.now he is only the number1 golfer in the world with nike paying him 100 milion .so there you have it ,you decide"

Tiger was trained at Ginnie and a few of the other systems in Florida like Peacock and Orange Grove and Little River and Telford.
He was not trained by a Ginnie Staff memeber to my knowledge. The Ginnie Staff Instructors are good instructors. But you would do best to select your instructor regardless of agency and many of us teach under more than one. Make sure you are comfortable with whom you get. Ask questions of the instructor and get some recommendations. Sometimes the best way to learn is to teach and a good instructor will be able to answer your "Why and Reason" questions in one form or another.

Ginnie is a great place to learn to cave dive. Call and ask for Rose Meadows. Make SURE that your bouyancy control is PERFECT!!! If its not don't bother going for training. EVERYTHING is based off of Bouyancy Control. Ginnie will kick your butt in places, but it is TOTALLY worth it. When you learn in the high flow stuff, everything else is cake. By the way Ginnie is really only high flow at the entrances and at the lips. Little River is flow pretty much all the way through. You have to learn each cave, as to where to be, when, and in what position. Cave training will be the hardest thing you'll probably ever do, but you end up a much better and safer diver when you earn that full cave card.

Joepilot:
Camerone,

I did my full cave course in ten days at Protec Diving in Akumal Mexico. I understand for some to do the entire course can be extremely stressfull, but no matter how you decided to take any of the four courses, this place I highly recommend. These divers are NSS and IANTD. They train all over the world based on their reputation. These guys are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet anywhere. They are also sought after by discovery channel, Hollywood as movie divers, and by renowned scientists who study caves and deep wrecks (>300ft). I could not recommend any finer group of technical instructors for Cave, Rebreathers, Trimix etc..... I too researched instructors in Florida and Mexico. Many well established technical divers highly recommended Protec and they were right on! Yes, you have to go all the way to Mexico, but it is well worth it and I feel comfortable telling you that no other training agency will top these guys! I'm not saying Florida does not have excellent instructors, but for me in my research and recommendations, these guys have my vote. Their reputation preceeds them and that is why scientists, Discover channel, Hollywood, and for that matter the world come to Protec for technical diving. Good luck to you.

I also used Protec for my full cave cert. I did it all at once. I think it was fairly stressful, but the guys at Protec were great.

compressor:
Is Ginnie Springs a good Place to get Cave Training?
Thank you.

Likely as good as anywhere else. I think what you need to consider for the Apprentice and Full Cave/Cave2 is having a few different locations. Doing all of your training in one cave, or one system might limit you ability to adapt to other conditions and other sites you come across post-training.

I know this is a requirement for GUE - I have not read the NACD & NSS-CDS standards on the topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom