Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
O

Ocddog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was just about to book Maui, when shtf. Now looking for a warm water alternate for mid Sept. Leaning toward Cozumel, maybe Puerto Morelas. One week only. Been to Cozumel once, 25 or so years ago. Golng with adult kid, who has only done Maui, as far as tropical diving goes. He doesn't get along with wetsuits, so nothing more than a shorty required, is what we're looking for.
Any thoughts,

Maybe Fiji? My understanding is that a lot of the Cozumel reefs are dead from SCTLD. Definitely a longer trip, but there are nonstops from Vancouver, LAX, and SFO to Fiji.

Cozumel is just fine and in great shape. I just spent 3 weeks there recently. Water temps in September are at their peak. Gonna be about 85 degrees. No wetsuit required. Outstanding diving, food, people and culture. September is also quite hot and humid topside though. As is all of the Yucatan peninsula. So, keep that in mind.

Lots of choices in the Caribbean, but agree with @Trailboss123. Cozumel is nice as well as Puerto Morelos. Can fly directly to Cozumel - PM is about a 20-25 minute drive from Cancun Airport. More dive sites in Coz but if diving a cenote is a thought, PM has some nearby.

Also check out Little Cayman Beach Resort. Great all inclusive dive resort. Dive sites are only about 20 minutes away. Great viz, easy diving and the water is very warm. I was there last week and it was 87°. The reef is super healthy, tons of fish and sharky.

About 8 of us from a Texas club are going to Coco View in Roatan 2-9 Sept. the place is like a scuba camp. All inclusive.

Want to try Roatan sometime soon. Better for me to wait until the winter flight schedules to kick in, for that one. Be interested in reading about your trip, though.

Also check out Little Cayman Beach Resort. Great all inclusive dive resort. Dive sites are only about 20 minutes away. Great viz, easy diving and the water is very warm. I was there last week and it was 87°. The reef is super healthy, tons of fish and sharky.
I love the LCBR operation and sites but would not in any way consider it "sharky"......other than some nurse sharks. Maybe the sharks just weren't there on my trips.

Looks like PM wins out. Much quicker & easier to get to on the dates we want to travel.
Never been before. Appreciate any tips on where to stay, and who to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom