Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
O

Ocddog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was just about to book Maui, when shtf. Now looking for a warm water alternate for mid Sept. Leaning toward Cozumel, maybe Puerto Morelas. One week only. Been to Cozumel once, 25 or so years ago. Golng with adult kid, who has only done Maui, as far as tropical diving goes. He doesn't get along with wetsuits, so nothing more than a shorty required, is what we're looking for.
Any thoughts,

Want to try Roatan sometime soon. Better for me to wait until the winter flight schedules to kick in, for that one. Be interested in reading about your trip, though.
Roatan seems to tick all your boxes, including the desire to dive sans wetsuit. Re: Cocoview, I have some personal opinions about ownership/management, however, the resort staff are absolutely wonderful, and the entire dive operation is world class. IMO, between ease of access from the US/Canada and ease of diving (6+ dives per day is quite achievable), CCV is perhaps the best place in the Caribbean if your goal is improvement and maximizing dives.

Mid-September, I'd be looking for a place that's outside the hurricane belt so you don't have another cancellation on your hands. That leaves pretty much Grenada (kind of), Curacao and Bonaire. The diving at a place like Lion's Dive with Ocean Encounters in Curacao would probably be ideal. There's other good places there too, but I have stayed there and they are great. Lots of top side stuff to do on the island as well if you're looking for that. Bonaire is awesome. Just got back from another trip there yesterday. But it's a dive, dive, dive place with a low-key, small island vibe.

Looks like PM wins out. Much quicker & easier to get to on the dates we want to travel.
Never been before. Appreciate any tips on where to stay, and who to dive with.
I'd do the bag drag (from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen ferry over to Cozumel) if need be to get to Cozumel rather than stay in PM. Otherwise I'd just be staring longingly eastward to Cozumel all of the trip thinking about how much better the diving would be over there.

It would be different if y'all wanted to dive cenotes, but they are a bit cool for most folks to meet your "no wetsuit" requirement. Plus, while PDC and Cancun may have more nightlife interesting to an adult child than Cozumel (which has some night life), I would guess (but don't know for sure) that PM (population ~9,200) may have less nightlife than Cozumel (population ~100,000).

Maybe should have mentioned, original trip was supposed to be with the wife. We went to PVR in the spring, that was enough Mexico for her. Will be looking to go somewhere with her in the fall, as I use up all my vacation time for this year. She also has a no wetsuit, boat dive only policy. (at least the kid will climb into a dry suit a couple times a year.) Certainly appreciate all the tips for alternative destinations, for future reference. Main reason I landed on PM is, I suspect she would hate it. Give me a chance to check out somewhere new, and hey, if I'm wrong I can always go back with her.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom