Where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first "real" diving trip (got certified in October and have done regional quarry diving) will be wreck diving on northern Lake Huron in late July. My friends acknowledge I'm weird, so wanting cold water diving just fits... :D

I try not to compare places I've been because every dive destination is different whether it is local or abroad. The group I travel and dive with try to go some place different each year for our "big trip" we usually start talking about were are we going next while we are on our current trip. I've been lucky enough to have dove in most of the places already mentioned and if I could only dive in one location the rest of my life it would be the Philippines but that answer may change because I keep adding to my bucket list of dive destinations.

Where are you based?

For my first trip, I would like to be able to do a lot of easy diving and that does not tie me to a boat schedule. The place for that is Bonaire. A lot of dive shops schedule trips there because there is no current and all dives are done from the shore. You can do very easy 5 dives every day and it is possible to log 25-30 dives in one 7day trip. In other places it is hard to do that much diving in single trip. Once you get back from Bonaire you have the same number of dives that a 2 - 3 week trip elsewhere gets you because in most other places you are diving by boat.

Once I do get my first Bonaire trip I would not return there again because there are so many better places to dive in the Caribbean.

Just my 2 psi

Little Cayman . ...no current, great vis and shallow dives if you want, valet diving and best reefs in carribean

Cozumel diving tends to be drift diving, riding the current. Are you guys planning to get certified on this trip, or before the trip? I'd think doing OW checkout dives while moving along in current might bother some people.

Key Largo sounds good. Bonaire, if you go your 1st time with one or more people who've been there & know how to get around & how things work could indeed be a great option. Roatan I hear good things of, but it varies regionally; CocoView Resort, Turquoise Bay Resort, etc...? What do people think of Ambergris Caye, Belize for this sort of trip?

What topside activities are desired?

Richard.

Where would you go??? Well... what to say. To one of the FIVE places in the Caribbean (including THREE in Mexico)
that allow shell collecting. That's ME, as all SB members probably know. Go anywhere you can afford.

@scubadada the plan is to get certified here at home. We have a few places near by that provide this service.

@drrich2 what topside activities would we like? My wife and I like doing adventurous things, i.e. zip lines, cliff diving, mud races, etc. Shoot, I'd go so far as to wrestle a gator if given the opportunity.

@Marie13 I would like to try a cold dive but my wife wouldn't want to join me. She gets cold easily.

Everyone, Bonaire sounds fantastic but may ruin all future trips because nothing could compare to Bonaire. The more I talk with you all and my friends and family I believe we maybe setting our sights on Key Largo.

I appreciate all the replies.

Tioman Island in Malaysia. Beautiful, not expensive, close to Singapore and great to learn scuba.
Or Thailand, or Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom