Where would you live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dumpsterpurrs has some good points, but I think living south of Manila would still be a great option. I've been out here for 4 years and love it. The Filipino people are wonderful, language is rarely an issue, the local cuisine is tasty, plus plenty of foreign products available (grocery wise, and consumer goods). Cost of living is affordable, but steadily increasing.

There are also some great schools catering to foreign students with very high standards in their curriculum.

From my area (south of Manila) I am 2 hrs from Anilao diving and 4 hours from PG (due to ferry travel). I'm also about from Makati and BGC (not diving, but great shopping, dining, and nightlife). 30 mins from NAIA (the international airport).

Yes, traffic can be an issue, but for Manila, the south is a little less traffic than the north (Quezon). You get used to it....

Had not thought about Maui, good one:) Is it more expensive than eg Singapore? UAE is pretty expensive as well ...
I would guess not but do not know. I would guess Singapore is higher from what I've read. Maui is about the most expensive place we go except for the Carib Islands but I live in Phoenix where everything is cheaper.

One way to do Maui cheaper is get a place slightly inland, Because all of the Hawaiian Islands are volcanic - living on the foothills you still get ocean views and the breeze.

the local cuisine is tasty,

The rest of your comment is likely spot on, but I'm not so sure about this one... there are some tasty dishes, but in general, Filipino cuisine isn't the most attractive to many foreigners, especially when comparing with Vietnamese or Malaysian food, or even Thai and Indonesian. Very challenging for kids and vegetarians/vegans/people who eat a decent amount of fresh veggies. I personally liked many things I ate there, but that's definitely not what most foreigners would say.

The rest of your comment is likely spot on, but I'm not so sure about this one... there are some tasty dishes, but in general, Filipino cuisine isn't the most attractive to many foreigners, especially when comparing with Vietnamese or Malaysian food, or even Thai and Indonesian. Very challenging for kids and vegetarians/vegans/people who eat a decent amount of fresh veggies. I personally liked many things I ate there, but that's definitely not what most foreigners would say.

Fair enough. I do love Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese food:D. Cuisine is one of the most 'personal opinion' topics, so of course everyone's tastes will vary.

There are many vegetable only dishes, most cooked in/with coconut milk. But they do not compete with the "brightness" of many other mainland SE Asian dishes...

Fair enough. I do love Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese food:D. Cuisine is one of the most 'personal opinion' topics, so of course everyone's tastes will vary.

There are many vegetable only dishes, most cooked in/with coconut milk. But they do not compete with the "brightness" of many other mainland SE Asian dishes...
Which is why it's impossible for me to move away from mainland SEA/Mekong region! I would consider Borneo for a short stint, but not permanent/a few years. Have you been to Kuching btw? Best food in SEA off the mainland! Even, dare I say, better than Singapore, Sai Gon, KL, or Bangkok.

Malaysia. Hands down. Wait, maybe Tanzania, Madagascar, Maldives (bring boots and a raft), Saigon, Seychelles, Karachi...

Oh hell, so many places.

Malaysia. Hands down. Wait, maybe Tanzania, Madagascar, Maldives (bring boots and a raft), Saigon, Seychelles, Karachi...

Oh hell, so many places.

LOL .... wait: Karachi??!! No way! I can’t pick anywhere in India or Pakistan. Husband won’t allow. I happen to know people living in Maldives, they are less than thrilled, so that’s off as well.

I know the company has offices in Singapore and KL, think they also have in BKK, so that would be easy to chose.
Have been to Kuching, maybe I tried the wrong food, as I was not impressed (goes with most of what we had in Malaysia- except “Hard Rock Cafe” LOL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom