Which agency should I join if I wish to become an Elite Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that what is in play here is something I first described as the I'm-the-best-I-know-syndrome a number of years ago. I first described the phenomenon in relation to a fatal accident in Cozumel in which some highly experienced Cozumel divers did a bounce dive to 400 feet. In this syndrome, people become involved in one kind of diving and do it over and over and over and over again, and after a while they quite rightly observe that they are among the very best divers they have ever seen. They therefore conclude that they must therefore be among the best divers in the world. The flaw in that thinking is that they have never really been exposed to any of the best divers in the world, and so they have no real ability to compare.

Moreover, they are diving in such a benign environment that even if one of the world's truly elite divers were to dive with them, they would not have any way of seeing what makes those divers elite. This quarter's Diver Alert magazine from DAN has an interview with one of the divers who rescued the children in Thailand. Read that and ask yourself if you are anywhere ready to do those dives. If one of those divers joined you on a tropical reef, though, you might well be tempted to compare yourself favorably to him in the skills you see.

More than 1,000 dives ago, I developed a pretty good opinion of my skills. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to see some pretty darned good divers. I also have read enough about those I have not seen to get a much more accurate picture of where I am on the spectrum of diving skill. Consequently, I have a much lower estimation of my personal diving skills today than I did 1,000 dives ago. Now that I have a better idea of what it takes to be a truly elite diver, I am convinced that for me, it will never happen. I will go out and continue to do the best I can at the dives that are within my level of training and experience. I will never, however, be what I now consider to be elite.

Ive read some truly frightening posts about cave diving in a couple areas of this country. Some of those guys I think can practically walk on water and still things happen. I just signed up btw for divers alert and got dans insurance so I did just receive that issue with the british cave divers. Gotta read that in depth.

Moreover, they are diving in such a benign environment that even if one of the world's truly elite divers were to dive with them, they would not have any way of seeing what makes those divers elite.

Spot on observation. Jill Heinerth is an old friend of mine. Three years ago, she came up to Tobermory with her Hubby and spent a few days with Mrs Stoo and I. We did a bunch of "benign" dives and had a lot of fun shooting pics of each other while we worked on an article for Diver Mag.

Jill is without doubt, an elite diver. But for those few days, she was just my buddy.

Here's a shot of her on one of our deep dives. :)

Otters Jill Shallows DSC_1155 ©.jpg

And arrested? Lmao that conversation mustof gotten extreme !!!
According to Brett, George (speaking through a sock puppet, IIRC) blamed Brett for the death of Sheck Exley, saying that Brett had pushed him to go deeper and deeper and deeper. He threatened to kill Brett in retaliation. It was the death threat that brought in the police.

Elite divers have both training and experience. An agency can't get you there: only you can. Your mentors and instructors matter far more than than the agency they teach under.

several years ago, @The Chairman increased my vocabulary with the word FIGJAM. I think PADI may have a FIGJAM card now. He may have been the Power Mad Satrap known as Netdoc then...before the change...

I wonder what makes an Elite diver... years of experience and big shiny clanging brass balls certainly help(less weight on the belt too), the ability to balance on the razor thin line between good and lucky and good and stupid is an added bonus. I also think that if a person tells you they are an elite diver...they probably aren't, but they may have their FIGJAM card.

Skill, knowledge, and experience would be my criteria for an elite diver. Cert cards may introduce skills and convey knowledge, but the experience and development of those skills is entirely up to you. Hard hat, NEDU, cave, rebreather, saturation divers are all pretty high on my list, but so are the guys that can move effortlessly in any direction and come up with more air than when they started. I watched a guy that could invert to look under a reef ledge with almost no movement at all then go back to perfect horizontal trim like he was a fish. Another guy was cave training with a blacked out mask and did not move for at least 20 minutes maintaining a perfect horizontal hover. I could watch either one of those guys until I was out of air and still never figure out how they did it.

All those guys have one thing(or three) in common: skill, knowledge, and experience...and probably a heavy twist of luck along the way.

As a non elite diver, and never will be, if "elite" status is what you are after...work on developing your own extensive base of knowledge, skill, and experience...no agency can do that.

Or you can always order a NEDU shirt for $25, dive with an Air2, split fins, and make sure that all your gear says Scubapro.....

Good luck in your quest!
Jay

several years ago, @The Chairman increased my vocabulary with the word FIGJAM. I think PADI may have a FIGJAM card now. He may have been the Power Mad Satrap known as Netdoc then...before the change...

I wonder what makes an Elite diver... years of experience and big shiny clanging brass balls certainly help(less weight on the belt too), the ability to balance on the razor thin line between good and lucky and good and stupid is an added bonus. I also think that if a person tells you they are an elite diver...they probably aren't, but they may have their FIGJAM card.

Skill, knowledge, and experience would be my criteria for an elite diver. Cert cards may introduce skills and convey knowledge, but the experience and development of those skills is entirely up to you. Hard hat, NEDU, cave, rebreather, saturation divers are all pretty high on my list, but so are the guys that can move effortlessly in any direction and come up with more air than when they started. I watched a guy that could invert to look under a reef ledge with almost no movement at all then go back to perfect horizontal trim like he was a fish. Another guy was cave training with a blacked out mask and did not move for at least 20 minutes maintaining a perfect horizontal hover. I could watch either one of those guys until I was out of air and still never figure out how they did it.

All those guys have one thing(or three) in common: skill, knowledge, and experience...and probably a heavy twist of luck along the way.

As a non elite diver, and never will be, if "elite" status is what you are after...work on developing your own extensive base of knowledge, skill, and experience...no agency can do that.

Or you can always order a NEDU shirt for $25, dive with an Air2, split fins, and make sure that all your gear says Scubapro.....

Good luck in your quest!
Jay
Hey!! I have an NEDU shirt. And an Air2. Maybe I’m elite.

Mendocino eh, there really isnt any diving up along the mendocino coast is there? When diving do you travel or do you still go to monterey? Im assuming youve dove there much of your life?
No, there is no diving up in Mendocino County (or Sonoma County), don’t waste your time. Monterey is much better and is pretty much where any decent diving starts.

Don’t do GUE or TDI, forget about the Navy Seals ... this is the most elite organisation you can dream of joining for scuba diving:

Welcome

I think the OP is trolling you all...
I thought it could be the case :)

Elite diver is same as master scuba diver. A lot of us have that 'title'. But my best cert is 'Everything diver'. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom