Which agency should I join if I wish to become an Elite Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"George: I basically ignore it. [audience laughs] You can calculate altitude in the programs and all. Your body adjusts right away anyway just so it all becomes relative again. Stay at Lake Tahoe for a couple days, your body is at 6000ft and stays there. So it's not going to be like you're going beyond decompression steps when you get out of the water. It not you could be beamed to Lake Tahoe and do a dive and come up. But I pretty much ignore that altitude silliness. They make too much of it, I think. But I went skiing at Lake Tahoe, and didn't have any problems. [audience laughs] I didn't get bent. But I really don't know. I mean, I don't know of anybody that ever had any issues with any of that. But they always have some special deco. But I've never seen any problems. I really don't know, though. It's out of my realm, other than I don't believe it. From what I know of decompression I don't believe it's a problem. That's got to be a cool place, though, to dive."

Dude literally says he doesnt know, offers the solution to use deco software to adjust for altitude, and cracks a few jokes.

Grow up.

Its amazing that some guy's words 20 years ago still bring so much butthurt to so many people.

When you're talking about the best of the best.. The diver that ALL the hot girls look for on the dive boat or at the bar after diving... Hands down...

SCUBA STEVE DIVER... With a PIRATE card...

As a old-school diver that start with the Scuba Steve solo learn on your own dive program at the age of 12.. Then on to the Scuba Steve Solo deep northeast wreck diver card by 14.. Looks I get are something else..
When I walk in to the tank room and grab a few used 80's that had 32 nitrox and im needing 25 nitrox and do the mix with just the sounds of the gas going into the tanks.. And the totaly amazed look when I check and their at 24.9 or 25.1 and ready to go.. Or when I drop down to 175' on AIR to bang a few lionfish when needed..

Yes... If you want to be the one that people long to be... Scuba Steve Solo Deep Wreck Air/mixed gas Deco on the fly diver is the way to go.. Hell we don't even have real cards.. Other Divers just know that you know what it's all about

Jim ..

No disrespect to the SEALs, but you won't become a great diver as a SEAL. You'll become a great warrior, truly an elite soldier, but when it comes to diving, not so great. SEALs are mission oriented...get to the target, destroy the target, get out safely.

I've been diving with one or two former team members and they were terrible recreational divers.

No disrespect to the SEALs, but you won't become a great diver as a SEAL. You'll become a great warrior, truly an elite soldier, but when it comes to diving, not so great. SEALs are mission oriented...get to the target, destroy the target, get out safely.

I've been diving with one or two former team members and they were terrible recreational divers.
I haven't but I'd anticipate this. To be a good warrior one needs to learn to concentrate and peak efforts; to be a good recreational diver, one needs to learn to relax and make no effort whatsoever. A very different skill, indeed.

When I worked at a dive shop I met so many SEALs that there must be millions of them. :)
Divers claiming to be Navy SEALs is like a drunk driver saying he only had two beers.
That said, GUE trains some of the best divers. I dived with some who were motionless in the water. I have also dived with GUE trained divers who had no spatial awareness and kept dropping down on other divers. Calling themselves elite divers is the two beer code for elitist.

So about the original question...not a mention of SDI anywhere. How does it stack up against PADI/NAUI/SSI?

I vote for Navy SEALS too. And as a bonus you will learn how to blow stuff up.
I hope it is also DIR not to blow yourself up? :wink:

That said, GUE trains some of the best divers. I dived with some who were motionless in the water. I have also dived with GUE trained divers who had no spatial awareness and kept dropping down on other divers. Calling themselves elite divers is the two beer code for elitist.
GUE does a good job training divers, but that does not mean every GUE trained diver is automatically a great diver :thumb: It takes a lot more than just some training from any agency to achieve that.

AJ:
I hope it is also DIR not to blow yourself up? :wink:

GUE does a good job training divers, but that does not mean every GUE trained diver is automatically a great diver :thumb: It takes a lot more than just some training from any agency to achieve that.

And that is why Scuba Steve Divers have no training agency...

So about the original question...not a mention of SDI anywhere. How does it stack up against PADI/NAUI/SSI?
The agency really doesn't matter: the instructor does. The instructor chooses his agency for various reasons, and the student usually chooses the instructor based on location. Some of the best instructors don't teach much simply because they don't live in the Caribbean or work for a shop that pushes students through. To address your question, SDI is just fine and I teach through them. I also teach for NASE. I choose SDI for some classes and NASE for others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom