Which backplate manufacturer to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmmcintyre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Alright fellow divers I need some help. I am trying to choose a good backplate and wing that I will enjoy for time to come. The problem I am having is there are so many different manufactures that I like. I wanted to see what any of you may have on the below manufactures or any that I may have not included.

Halcyon
OMS
TDL
Dive Rite
Oxycheq
Hollis
Salvo
Hdgarthian
HOG’

Thanks, John

The short andswer is the one that is both the least expensive and has the attachment points you want/need. Remember it is basically a stamped SS or AL plate with wholes drilled in it. Some like the Hammerhead will come somewhat unfinished and will require some dremmeling of the webbing slots. Then again my Dive Rite SS BP also required this so ya never know till it arives. It was no big deal and took less than ten mins to smooth things out. I got my Dive Rite BP with hog harness drings/firrings Oxy Cheq mini STA's and two cam bands for $55 second hand so you can definatly find some deals out there if you are not particular about what you are using.

Hmmm,

Not an easy questions to answer. I've either been in the water with or held in my hand, gear from all but the last two manufacturers. So my subjective opinion follows:

Best Plates:

DSS
Halcyon

Best Wings (toughness and shape):

Oxycheq
DSS
Halcyon

Toughest Wings:

Oxycheq Extreme
Golem Gear

If you are trying to put together a system from one manufacturer that will work well there are a few ways to go.

DSS probably offers the best package for the money. Oxycheq and Halcyon are also excellent products, each with their own benefits. I really wish the Halcyon units were more price competitive. The Agir Brokk units from Salvo are wonderful, but seemed a bit pricey to me. They do have some nice features though like the oversized cord on the pull dump. A small thing, but one divers who use gloves would greatly appreciate.

Again, no easy answer here, but you won't get a "bad" system from any of these manufacturers. It's just that some tend to stand out from the crowd in some way or another.

I believe Tobin has started putting an oversized cord on his pull dumps as well (DSS).

There are a number of manufacturers making very good quality gear, and making good systems. When you have played with various setups, you can begin to discriminate on subtle things like the precise shape of a wing, but at the beginning, I think two things really stand out: Price, and customer service. The reason I recommend DSS over and over again is that they offer one of the best values for money you can find, outside of particular special sales, AND they offer the very best customer service you can get. If you call Tobin to talk to him about what you should buy, he isn't going to sell you anything until you have given him enough information about you, your exposure protection, and other gear, that he can be sure what he is selling you will be something that makes you happy. I don't know of any other manufacturer who will refuse to sell you his gear, if he thinks you are choosing the wrong stuff!

I have to back up what Lynne said here. Tobin's (DSS) been more than helpful in consulting with me about my buoyancy needs and helping me select the right wing for my purposes. He comes across as someone who really cares about his customers' making the right decisions.

Personally, because of the service I received, I'm going to buy a kit from DSS. Helps that it's considered one of the top manufacturers around, too. Now I just have to come up with the money. :)

The main difference between plates is the shape and placement of the cam band slots, if you intend to use the plate without a STA. Some plates, like my hammerhead, have a pronounced bend which is not ideal for single tanks, but probably is better for doubles. I say probably because I have never tried the plate with doubles.

Almost any plate is going to be sturdy enough and will last forever.

So, before you choose a plate, you need to consider if you're going to want to use it primarily for single or double tanks. If single, then consider whether you want to use a STA or get a wing which works well without one. If no STA, then you need to make sure the plate you choose will line up slots with the wing you choose. The wing choice is probably more important in terms of affecting your diving.

This is one reason that the DSS set up is so convenient. The plate and wing are really well designed to work together. One thing I really like about the DSS set up is the fact that you can so easily remove the wing for cleaning and storage.

If you're buying a whole set up, it is very tough to beat the price/quality/convenience of a DSS set up. If you're buying just a plate, the DSS plates are beautifully made with nice touches, but are more expensive than either the hammerhead or dive rite plates. I would decide on the wing first, then find the plate that works best with that wing.

Alright fellow divers I need some help. I am trying to choose a good backplate and wing that I will enjoy for time to come. The problem I am having is there are so many different manufactures that I like. I wanted to see what any of you may have on the below manufactures or any that I may have not included.

Halcyon
OMS
TDL
Dive Rite
Oxycheq
Hollis
Salvo
Hdgarthian
HOG’

Thanks, John

NONE of the above.

I vote for the cutting-edge BPs from Deep Sea Supply, with attached weight plates.

This takes a ton of weight off your belt and also gives you perfect trim.

For the wing, however, I would go with Oxycheq.

NONE of the above.

I vote for the cutting-edge BPs from Deep Sea Supply, with attached weight plates.

This takes a ton of weight off your belt and also gives you perfect trim.

For the wing, however, I would go with Oxycheq.

Now I will have to agree that the overall majority of experienced BP/W users and tech divers both in this forum and in TDS and ST forums have reached a quorum that both DSS and more specifically Tobin at DSS is quite possibly the most helpful, accessible and knowledgeable person/outfit when it come to choosing a BP/W. I know from my personal experience that Chad at Scuba Toys and Scott at Zeagle were equally as helpful to me when it came time to choose my BP/W rig (see above post for my set up). With that said the one issue I had with the DSS rig is that unlike the basic BP's from Dive Rite, Golem Gear and Oxy Cheq and wings from GG DR and OC, the DSS wings and plates dont "play well with others". As a stand alone, they are some of the best "systems" going from what I understand. SO how true is this? Can I use an Oxy Chek wing with a DSS BP? can I use a DSS wing with an Hammer Head BP?? One of things I like most about my rig is how interchangeable it is.

cheers,

Brian D

SO how true is this? Can I use an Oxy Chek wing with a DSS BP? can I use a DSS wing with an Hammer Head BP?? One of things I like most about my rig is how interchangeable it is.

cheers,

Brian D

Brian,

There are two different issues here.

1) Can a DSS plate be used with 3rd party wings?

In most cases yes, and if one really wants to use a STA there are almost no plate and single wing combo's that won't work. For doubles there is no issue here.

2) Will a DSS plate + 3rd party wing work as well, and offer all of the advantages of using a DSS wing on a DSS plate?

The answer here is clearly no. Using a DSS wing on a DSS plate will provides the following advantages; Ease of assembly and dis assembly, least tank offset from the diver, secure direct mount without wobble.

In short using a DSS plate and 3rd party wing is no worse than any other "Franken-rig" but doing so negates many of the advantages of the "system".

Keep in mind that most respondents here have used one BP&W, and as such are poorly equipped to comment on the RELATIVE advantages of any approach.

Tobin

Keep in mind that most respondents here have used one BP&W, and as such are poorly equipped to comment on the RELATIVE advantages of any approach.

Tobin
With that in mind, my FredT BP seems to have all the holes in all the right places for just about any wing and is one of the finest pieces of craftsmanship I have seen. Truth is, for a simple BP, it is almost overkill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom