Which backplate manufacturer to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of those manufacturers listed in the OP, I own or have owned four of their plates and three of their wings. if you count DSS, then I have plates from five manufacturers. and wings from four of them.

Without a doubt, DSS plates are THE best. I think the other plates are just fine, but NO ONE comes close to the fit and finish like Tobin! I dive his gear almost exclusively by choice and have done so since I first complained about the rubber thingies that held his singles wing to his back plate. He sent me the ones he redesigned, and WHOA they rocked! I have not had an issue with them since!!!

It is OBVIOUS to me, that Tobin has designed his Back Plates and Wings to work best as a SYSTEM. His wings are perfect for his plates and if you dive with me, that's what you are going to see.

Last edited:
I have dove DSS rigs which rocked (this is a compliment in this case not a description) and Dive Rite rigs which rocked (same meaning as above) but not quite as much as the DSS rig. If you are willing to commit to using only DSS gear (although I know people who have put OMS and Dive Rite wings on DSS plates with no problem) then go with DSS.

Are you a regular size? If you're taller or shorter than average, a custom sized plate makes all the difference in the world. All the people who say 'a plate is a plate is a plate' must be of a typical size.

If you are taller or shorter, DSS is the way to go. Obviously, DSS gets a lot of votes from the regular sized crowd too.

Are you seeing a trend here? :)

I sometimes use my DSS wing on a HammerHead al backplate..
That's what I like about the DSS wings, just pull it off the SS DSS plate and put it on the al HammerHead plate.
The tank straps hold the wing to either plate.. no screws or nuts needed..
and no need for STAs...
my statements only apply to a single tank rig..

First off let me say I'm a Halcyon fanboi; I own and have dived Halycon SS and alloy BPs

I've also borrowed an OMS rig, and like it as a product, but you can search for yourself to see what people think of their customer service (which I have no personal experience of, but know people who have, and it doesn't disagree with what I've read here)

Remember it is basically a stamped SS or AL plate with wholes drilled in it. Some like the Hammerhead will come somewhat unfinished and will require some dremmeling of the webbing slots

With specific reference to alloy BPs, cutting them is not a good idea (SS no problem); all alloy BPs that I've seen have some sort of coating/anodizing to protect them from (seawater) corrosion; obviously any cutting leaves you back at bare metal, and negates the effectiveness of the coating

The type of coating would be another thing to consider when choosing an alloy BP; there are different types of anodizing (for example), with varying levels of hardeness/corrosion resistance

Do your research and see what the plates cost. In my opinion you are buying a piece of steel to hold your wing. They will all have little pros and cons most of which are insignificant in the long run. I've used a Fred T, a Hammerhead, an OMS and a Dive Rite and underwater I couldn't tell you the difference in any of them.

Find the best value and use the savings to buy yourself a couple of cases of good beer!
Then call me over to help drink them !:)

Do your research and see what the plates cost. In my opinion you are buying a piece of steel to hold your wing. They will all have little pros and cons most of which are insignificant in the long run.

This simply not true. All plates are similar to a degree, but there are difference in:

Over all size. Most brands are produced in a single size, some are produced in a range of sizes.

Shape. The width and height varies, as does the radius of the lower corners.

Over all bend angle. Most plates are steeply bent, some are flatter. There is a discernible difference in fit and comfort, particularly for use with single tanks.

Center channel offset. Deep center channels will offset a single tank more than a shallow center channel.

Means to secure a single tank. Some plates have camband slots and some do not.

Available accessories. Plate pads, weight plates.

Material, finish, details etc.

Tobin

Tobin,
Take a look at my post. I said in " my opinion". There are may divers that happen to agree with my opinion that a plate is a plate.

I would not expect you to agree. You are trying differentiate your product from everyone else. That is marketing 101.

Maybe your plates are far superior and maybe they're not.

Send me one and I'll compare it to the ones I've used. I'll be happy to post here if I can detect that yours feels any different underwater.

Until that time my opinion remains the same, a plate, is a plate.

Tobin,
Take a look at my post. I said in " my opinion". There are may divers that happen to agree with my opinion that a plate is a plate.

Most divers haven't used more than one. Of the 4 you list one is a virtual copy of another, and the other two are very similar. That hardly represents a cross section of what's available. That's like say after driving a Chevy Malibu, and Olds Cutlass and Buick Regal, that a "car is a car"

I would not expect you to agree.

Why should I agree when you have your facts wrong?

Send me one and I'll compare it to the ones I've used. I'll be happy to post here if I can detect that yours feels any different underwater.

Until that time my opinion remains the same, a plate, is a plate.

So it would be fair to say that in your limited experience all plates are the same?

Tobin

Alright fellow divers I need some help. I am trying to choose a good backplate and wing that I will enjoy for time to come. The problem I am having is there are so many different manufactures that I like. I wanted to see what any of you may have on the below manufactures or any that I may have not included.

Halcyon
OMS
TDL
Dive Rite
Oxycheq
Hollis
Salvo
Hdgarthian
HOG’

Thanks, John

I've owned a Dive Rite, and OMS plate and wing. I currently own and dive a Halycon Eclipse with 40 lb lift wing. I will say that I would not mix wings and plates. Keep it all the same manufacturer, most plates and wings are built to use as a integrated system, why muck that up? I like my Halycon and quite frankly, can't imagine ever buying another plate and wing. It's the best buoyancy control system I have ever used. Maybe someone makes a better system, I don't know. I can tell you the Halycon Eclipse is a lights out rig for me. :palmtree: Bob

Back
Top Bottom