Which BC for less than $300??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well. Crap. I'm mildly interested in these BP/W setups now. I will only be diving lakes and tropical waters. Lakes only in the summer. How do I know if a 27lb wing works for me? I'm 5'5 and 140lbs.
What is your % body fat? I would guess low based on your height & weight. What is the least buoyant suit you will wear? What is the most buoyant? If you wear a non-buoyant suit or thin wetsuit, then you may need no weight to dive in your local fresh water lakes or even warm tropical water.

How are you going to get rid of the unnecessary weight that a backplate gives you?

Do you really want to travel with a heavy backplate?

Heavy is subjective. For me, yes. I'll lug a few extra lbs in a suitcase for better diving.

How are you going to get rid of the unnecessary weight that a backplate gives you?

HUH????:confused::confused:

An aluminum backplate weighs maybe 1-2 lbs.

Doesn't ScubaPro offer one in Titanium? :D

I find that my backplate at 4 pounds, is still not really any heavier than my old BC. But, certainly, there are nice travel options of lighter backplates. The wonderful things about BP/wings is the modularity. Most backplates and harnesses are not that expensive, the wing being the more expensive part of the system. You may eventually find it nice to have two backplates and harnesses set up and its quite easy to swap wings from either the steel or aluminum/kydex plate. Either way, its good to divide the weight up, as Jim Lapenta was saying, especially when diving with the heavier weights needed with thicker exposure suits. This is one of my complaints that I have with integrated weight BCs used in many classes nowadays. All the weight is placed into two weight pockets. This has a few different drawbacks. One, a weight pocket is lost, it makes it difficult to stay down, because you've lost a great deal of weight. Two, with all the ballast in your BC, when you doff/don your BC midwater, its very difficult to remain attached to your BC. Much easier to do this if weight is split up between a weight belt on you and and your BC. Finally, if all the weight is on the BC, and the BC is not capable of the amount of lift that you are asking it to hold, then if you need to remove the BC on the surface, it will not be able to stay afloat. I'm not sure many recreational divers really figure out if they have enough lift when they buy their first BC and this can be a problem.
My 4 pound, short steel plate is nearly the perfect weight for me when diving in warm water with a 3 ml. I add just a little bit of trim weight, which comes from my lights,and I'm good to go.
In colder water, I obviously need more weight, when diving a drysuit.
But,OP hasn't even had his OW class yet and doesn't think he wants to dive in cold water. I do hope that he changes his mind, as I think many new divers make a snap decision about not diving cold water, based on what they hear at the dive store or what they hear from other vacation divers. I hope that more divers will begin to cold water dive locally, and dive often, near home, to improve skills and enjoyment. This is,in my opinion, the best way to become a better diver and a diver who will enjoy vacation dives more, because you won't be just pulling the dive gear out for the once a year dive vacation.
Most classes that I've seen require that you purchase your own fins, mask and snorkel. Op, do you know what you're required to purchase?

Last edited:
An aluminum backplate weighs maybe 1-2 lbs.
Many fit divers are negatively buoyant. They certainly don't need an extra two lbs.

I'm not sure about Titanium, but a Platinum one might be available soon exclusively from Your On-line Scubapro Platinum Dealer at a very special price for Scubaboard members:wink:!

Last edited:
Oxycheq ultra lite soft backplate. 9 ounces. I don't wear a wetsuit for temps above 80 and do not carry any weight. It's great.

Well. Crap. I'm mildly interested in these BP/W setups now. I will only be diving lakes and tropical waters. Lakes only in the summer. How do I know if a 27lb wing works for me? I'm 5'5 and 140lbs.

I am now on the fence about buying a reg first though. That does seem a little more important.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 11:11 AM ----------

Colliam, you hit the nail on the head. I've always thought the BP/W was for more experienced divers.

Look at the Zeagle Express Tech, the price is significantly less than $300. It is a soft plate, not AL or SS and it is all assembled and ready to dive. It also packs super small and light in case you travel someplace warm and fun. I have not seen a BC that is lighter. The straps slide, so adjustment is easy. The downside is being a soft plate you won't dive doubles with it and down the line you may want to add a crotch strap.

Amazon.com: Zeagle Express Tech BC, Ultimate Travel Rig Diving BCD: Sports & Outdoors

Scubapro LiteHawk is an excellent choice that fits your needs!

Many fit divers are negatively buoyant. They certainly don't need an extra two lbs.

I'm not sure about Titanium, but a Platinum one might be available soon exclusively from Your On-line Scubapro Platinum Dealer at a very special price for Scubaboard members:wink:!

And of course they're diving with special AL80 tanks that are also negatively buoyant at 500 PSI, and of course they have special wetsuits that are also negatively bouyant

Besides I assumed that X-Tec aluminum backplate already had platinum inserts.

Please ignore this nonsensical post. Of course beaverdivers has no way of determining that a BP/W would provide unnecessary weight (in fact it's quite unlikely unless you're diving with a steel plate and negative steel tanks in very warm water) and many BP/W systems are far easier to pack and travel with, and weigh about the same, as many of the bulky bloated jacket BCs he sells.

For example, the scubapro knighthawk and classic BCs each weigh about 10lbs and are relatively large, padded, bulky items. By comparison, a dive rite travel wing/AL plate/ hogarthian harness would weigh about 5 1/2 lbs and pack up MUCH more compactly. In fact, a steel plate would add less than 4 lbs, meaning that the total weight of the system is LESS than the scubapro jacket BCs that beaver likes to shill on scubaboard.

Not that any sensible diver would evaluate dive gear based primarily on how it fits in luggage, rather it should be evaluated on it's performance in the water. I just wanted to clear up a bit of mis-information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom