Which BCD for a big guy? Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
I'm 6'2" and 310lbs. Lots of folks have pointed me to Zeagle for my size. Is that the right train of thought? Or another brand?

In Zeagle's, which would you recommend? I'm completely new to diving and will only be doing easy, warm dives for the forseeable future. Is the Ranger overkill for that?
I'm a little taller - 6'3" and almost your weight - 285, I dive with an XXL Ranger Ltd. It fits well and works well. If anything, it might be a little too large, but I don't like tight-fitting jackets. There are 3 different user-changeable adjustments so you can move the front in/out as needed. I'm currently on the middle one but could go to the smallest one if I wanted it a little tighter.

As Herman mentioned, it's not the smallest BC made, but it does fit in checked luggage nicely. It actually folds down pretty flat with no weight in the pockets. I have a large sized hard-bottom duffel bag, smaller than the biggest gearbags you've seen, and it fits with room to spare, I've been on some pretty small planes with no problem.

I also highly recommend the lumbar pad, it really cushions the impact of the tank against your back during GS entries.

Steve

I have a Ranger and I'm 5'11" 265lbs. I've taken it to Cozumel no problems at all.

In regards to the weights for colder water diving, I can put all my weights in the BC when diving with a 2pc 7mm wetsuit, but I find it's easier to wear 10lbs on a belt. Takes a bit of strain off lifting the BC etc.

Andrew

Lots of good info. Thanks a bunch. I am leaning more towards the Ranger now. Is it worth the extra $100 to the Limited model?

Jarrett:
Lots of good info. Thanks a bunch. I am leaning more towards the Ranger now. Is it worth the extra $100 to the Limited model?
I have mixed feelings about it.

I like having the lumbar pad, however I've never been in a Zeagle w/o one so I don't know what that's like. Also you can add it to a regular Ranger, my buddy has one.

I like having the weight pouches because I use 1/4" lead shot for weighting, it allows me to fine tune my weight for different conditions. They'd be of less/no value if you're going to use block weights.

I've never used the back trim pockets, in fact I've thought of removing them for streamlining. But I float pretty vertical in the water during ascents/descents with just weight in the front pockets, they ride pretty low on your hips so you have a low center of gravity. I also find it's easier to trim to horizontal at depth with all my weight below me. I may put 3-4lbs. in each one to see if there's a difference next trip.

I've never used any of the zip-on accessory pockets - I don't think I ever will. They sell a pony bottle or spare-air pocket but both have the valve down, which although I can understand it for quick-access reasons, seems more likely to open and lose the bottle or smack the valve on a boat seat/tank rack etc. There's some other pocket options, but I don't use those items so have no comment.

The extra left vertical D-ring is the perfect place to clip off my gauge retractor. I've never used the two in back.

Scubatoys sells the lumbar pad or the weight pouches for $30. So you could add them to a regular Ranger.

Steve

The Zeagle Ranger is 44# of lift, so you might be best off in something with more lift if you are going to need a lot of weight with the added neoprene. the Ranger has the front pockets as well as the trim weight pockets in the back. I would recommend the rip cord weight system (can get more weight in it). Plus the lifetime warranty is a great feature to have on these! :)

Jarett

I can tell you first hand that the Oceanic Probe BC is available in XXL, I to am big and I tried it on two days ago. It's is extremely comfortable and fits very well. You can find it at world watersports for a cheaper ($399.00) than the actually Oceanic website($595.00).

Good Luck,
Tricia

Jarrett:
I'm 6'2" and 310lbs. Lots of folks have pointed me to Zeagle for my size. Is that the right train of thought? Or another brand?

In Zeagle's, which would you recommend? I'm completely new to diving and will only be doing easy, warm dives for the forseeable future. Is the Ranger overkill for that?

I just went and tried on a Scuba Pro Nighthawk at another LDS and it felt really comfortable. Has anyone had both a Zeagle and a Nighthawk? Would you mind giving opinions on the two? Thanks.

Jarret,
I just received a Zeagle Brigade from Larry at Scuba Toys and love it. I am 5' 7" and 310lbs and I use a xxl vest and l shoulders. It fits great, can hold plenty of lead for 7 mil semi-dry for me. I had the trim weight pouches added. I have rented the Scuba Pro before, and did not like the weight system as much.
HTH

Jarrett,

I know there is at least one Zeagle dealer in Dallas (Scuba Toys), so hopefully you can drive over and try on the Zeagle BCs. I echo the concern of whether or not a 44lb bladder will be enough for you, but I'm sure that Larry will steer you in the direction that is right for you. If you can try both BCs on, you can make an informed decision on which one feels the best and suits your needs!

Good luck!!

Scott

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom