Which BCD for a Girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajo007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking for a BCD for my better half and wonder, will you actually feel any difference diving with a BCD specially designed for a women as opposed to a standard or travel BCD with the similar features.

My female students see no real differences. What they do say is that SOME of the female specific BC's are bulky and use too much material. A number of female divers on this board like backplate and wing combo's because of the huge range of adjustment and once it is adjusted it stays there. I have also found real success with the Zeagle Express Tech as it is so similar to a BPW but with a plastic pack. I am 5'7" and weigh 165 or so. I took mine and have had it on a kid who was barely 5 ft and 100 lbs and on a female 5'9" heavier than me with a how shall I say "generous" chest and fitting it to either of them took about 5 minutes tops and both liked how comfortable it was. Many recreational bc's in general are uncomfortable, have poorly designed pockets, not enough d rings, too many drings, or not in the right place d rings. I recommend taking a serious look at your self and the diving you think you will do in the future. Look at your budget. More money does not equal a good product if it does not fit you or do what you want it to. If it has pockets, clips, rings etc are they where you need them and can access them easily? A $600 ScubaPro jacket bc to me is worthless. My $250 Zeagle is worth ten times that in it's convenience, fit, utility, and ease of adjustment.

My wife has the Scubapro Ladyhawk and absolutely loves the way it fits her. I don't remember which BC she was using during her classes but after her classes she tried on and dove with three or four different BC's and by far she thought the Ladyhawk was the best fit. She has had it four three years now. It is an excellent BC and the quality is top notch.

I use the Oceanic Hera for teaching pool sessions. It is 2yrs old & has yet to start fading from the chlorine. I will say that it is s very comfy BC. It is padded just right in all the right places for comfort. On the other hand, as Jim mentioned, that makes it a bit heavy & on the bulky side, so doesn't travel very well. The Hera is a hybrid back inflate/ jacket style BC & gives you the best of both worlds in holding your trim horizontal while diving & holding you a little more upright & stable on the surface. For a travel & Open Water BC, I use the Aqualung Balance which is a back inflate BC. The female version of that is the Libra. I, personally, could not fit into the Libra, as it only goes to a size of ML ( would probably need something near the size (in women's) of an XL). I use a men's L Balance because of my drysuit. It is a very comfortable & clean BC that is light weight & travels very well. I also use a back plate & wing (BP/W) with my technical equipment. I could see where some may feel very comfortable in it, even with a single tank adapter & a single tank. I tried it & personally found it to feel a bit more unstable than a traditional BC, but that is just me, in doubles it feels fine. Have your SO several different types, if she can, to see what she likes.

I love my LadyHawk as well. There is definitely a difference between it and the male version (KnightHawk). The measurements are different to fit a women better.

The Zeagle Zena is a great choice. It is designed for women and has features specially made for women.
Zena - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Comes in a few colors and looks pretty cool.

The front panel standard colors are Black, Neon Yellow, Royal Blue, Grape, Neon Pink, and Teal

Comes in a few colors and looks pretty cool.

I have an Aeris Contour that fits me to a tee! It's made specifically for women and it's very comfortable.

The women's BC's are definitely cut a shaped differently than the regular BC. Along the line of a regular BC we sell a handful of ScubaPro Ladyhawk and Oceanic Hera's.
Just like you hear on the board all the time, majority of women in our shop are diving BP&W's and if they are not in that, then they are in a DiveRite Transpac. Primary reasons, Fit, Comfort and Control.

My wife also has an Aeris Contour. Aeris discontinued it but the Wahini appears to be nearly exactly the same other than a different paintjob.

Be leery of claims such as "women's cut".

Cut to which woman's body? The voluptuous one? The slim one? The athletic one? The stocky one? The one with large mammary glands? The ones with medium? The one with small?

So, how do you find one that fits the significant other? Get a backplate/wing/harness. It doesn't discriminate how you're built. Get one that is properly sized for length of torso and call it a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom