Which fins to use with drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My normal street shoe size is 10 / 11. I wanted to get as socks the DUI 400thinsulate which are kind of bulky. Also, when I chose the size for the turbosoles for my drysuit, I chose the size L using those socks.

I am wondering whether it will be preferrable to use for example the DUI liteloft and try again the Jet Fins XL. I just dont know if then I will have too much air in my feet.

At this moment, the turtle fins seem to be out of stock here in the Netherlands and so I cannot even try them.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark Vlahos:
nunomix,

What size street shoes do you wear? Since I am in the US it would be easier for me if you knew the size of the shoe in US sizes. If you do not know your US size either post your european size and I will attempt to convert or just post the size rock boot the dive shop said you should get if you had gone the rock boot route instead of the turbo soles. By the way, I think you made the better choice with turbo soles.

I am going to guess that the Turtle fins are the way to go, since the XL Jetfins are too small and the XXL Jetfins are too big. The Turtles are sized more or less right between the two.

Kidspot has a really nice web page that compares the Jet fins with the Turtles. You can look at the page and find some nice pictures and measurements.

Good luck and enjoy your new suit!

Mark Vlahos

nunomix:
My normal street shoe size is 10 / 11. I wanted to get as socks the DUI 400thinsulate which are kind of bulky. Also, when I chose the size for the turbosoles for my drysuit, I chose the size L using those socks.

I am wondering whether it will be preferrable to use for example the DUI liteloft and try again the Jet Fins XL. I just dont know if then I will have too much air in my feet.

At this moment, the turtle fins seem to be out of stock here in the Netherlands and so I cannot even try them.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
OK so your feet are pretty much my exact size, mine are a normal standard width. The Turtles fit me with DUI Rock Boots, size 11. My fit is very good with regard to the width of the foot pocket and due to the height of the Rock Boot my foot does not go all the way into the foot pocket, but it does go pretty far in. I am headed down to the shop on Monday to check on a few things and I will try to see if they have any turbo sole suits so I can try it out, but I would guess that with the undergarment socks that you talked about, the Turbo soles would be a really good fit with the Turtle fins.

There is an ongoing saga with my dry suit that I do not want to get into at this point, but there is an excellent chance that I will be able to switch to Turbo soles myself. Hopefully I will be able to straighten everything out on Monday. Check this thread Tuesday morning your time for an update.

I have Turtle fins with spring straps, and Jet fins size XL with spring straps, between these two sets of fins I should be able to find a good fit with DUI Turbo soles and under socks like you have described. I will be taking both sets of fins with me to the shop.

Mark Vlahos

rock boots are fine fore mid 50's diving but if your going under the ice or any auther form of "cold" water diving, if your feet don,t freez up on the dive thay will on the SI. you must have some "air" around the foot.

nunomix:
Hi guys,

I am getting a DUI TLS350 with Turbosoles size L and will be using DUI thinsulate 400g socks. Now I spent a lot of money getting the drysuit but now I do not seem to find fins to use with it.

I tried the Scubapro Jetfins and the XL seems small and XXL is way too big. I heard the Turtle Fins are inbetween the sizes for the Scubapro. Is that true?

What would you recommend?

Regards,

Nuno Sanches e Silva
Try a pair of Force Fins. Buy them for the drysuit, and then pay $15 for the foam inserts so you can use them with your wetsuit also. I love mine.
C-Dawg

When I switched to a Drysuit I found my XXL Jets too big for my new boots (kinda unusual) but the XL's are way too small so I went with the turtles wearing a size 14 Converse Tennis shoe and the fit is quite nice in the Turtles. So if you are wearing a size 11 I can see why the XXL would be way too big.

You may be able to order Turtles online if you look at Leisurepro and some others.

Let us know what you find works best for you.

Aloha, Tim

Mark Vlahos:
OK so your feet are pretty much my exact size, mine are a normal standard width. The Turtles fit me with DUI Rock Boots, size 11. My fit is very good with regard to the width of the foot pocket and due to the height of the Rock Boot my foot does not go all the way into the foot pocket, but it does go pretty far in. I am headed down to the shop on Monday to check on a few things and I will try to see if they have any turbo sole suits so I can try it out, but I would guess that with the undergarment socks that you talked about, the Turbo soles would be a really good fit with the Turtle fins.

There is an ongoing saga with my dry suit that I do not want to get into at this point, but there is an excellent chance that I will be able to switch to Turbo soles myself. Hopefully I will be able to straighten everything out on Monday. Check this thread Tuesday morning your time for an update.

I have Turtle fins with spring straps, and Jet fins size XL with spring straps, between these two sets of fins I should be able to find a good fit with DUI Turbo soles and under socks like you have described. I will be taking both sets of fins with me to the shop.

Mark Vlahos

nunomix,

I regret to inform you that for reasons too complex to list here on the board I was not able to gain any new information with regard to your turbo sole and turtle fin questions. I apologize. I still think that based on seeing my foot in a pair of Turtle fins while wearing size 11 rock boots you will be fine with Turtle fins and Turbo soles with the thick undergarment socks you have described.

Sorry I could not be of more help,

Mark Vlahos

I have both XL and L Twin Jets. The XL were too tight with the rock boots (size 12), but worked fine on Monday with the size 12 wet suit booty over the dry suit feet!

aaarnt57:
rock boots are fine fore mid 50's diving but if your going under the ice or any auther form of "cold" water diving, if your feet don,t freez up on the dive thay will on the SI. you must have some "air" around the foot.

LOL ......my dive buddy just experienced this first hand with his brand new DUI drysuit last weekend. Surface temp 34F, bottom temp 38F, air temp 22F. After about 15-20 minutes of diving he was really cold and his feet had lost most of their feeling, total dive time was only 35 minutes. When we got out EVERYTHING froze. Our suit were crunchy and could practically stand on their own. He spent 15 minutes, to no avail, trying to untie his laces that were frozen solid to the boots. I had to pour water over them and pull them apart quickly before the water froze again. Good Times!!

Oh yeah, I wear Turtles myself. Still have a huge pair of XXL jet fins in case I decide to going diving with ski boots.

Back
Top Bottom