Which Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Full foot is the way to go for safety in any environment.

i'm confused, but i think i got it. from context, walter,
i think you meant "open heeled" are safest, right?

Go with Scuba Pro Twin Jet fins, the only fins youll ever need , (you'll need boots too)

no stress on legs (no cramps) and easy propulsion..

Thanks for all the replies. I think we will just go with the strap style fins. I have not decided whether to take them with us or not. We are only allowed 54lbs each for the small flights between islands and weight and room in the luggage will be a sparse. I think I would prefer to take them, but I know that all the hotels and dive shops provide free use of full-foot fins, although likely not as good and maybe not the right fit.

I have to agree with most of the others. I perfer open heel fins. I use the Apollo splits with henderson heavy sole boots. I wear them on the boat. I even wore them in Cozumel, Mexico when I had to walk about awhile to get from the boat to the dive shop up rocks, steps, and sand. The boots really helped. Remember scuba gear is not a fashion statement, it is practical. IMO

Yeah I know looks are not what is important. But I was planning on having the boots double as reef shoes when walking the beach, wading in the lagoons and snorkeling. I suppose I can avoid being cheap and buy seperate reef shoes.

Hey Rook,

If I were you (living in MI) and only going to FP for a wee dipette or three, I'd go with the prevailing conditions of both places.

If you dive a dry-bag in MI, this might suggest that you have standard dry-bag boots on the suit. This in turn might require a fin with a broader foot-pocket (I use Turtles with stainless steel spring straps to cut out the getting them on and off hassle).

Also, you might want to bear in mind that the plane on which you'll fly to FP will probably have rigid weight restrictions, and so any extra SCUBA kit might rack-up valueable space/weight allowance for your civvie/holiday kit. Check with your tour operator and see if the dive centre in FP provides fins for hire (pound to a pinch of salt they will do) and simply hire them in-country rather than take with.

If I were you, I'd take the absolute minimum personal kit with you (i.e. mask and snorkel) and buy a rediculously cheap pair of neoprene dive boots for use in FP - and if you're only gonna use them in FP, then hey, leave 'em there for the locals to use when you're gone and again, they won't take up space/weight allowance on your return leg.

Hope this helps mate and enjoy FP. Dive safe.

I use the booties w/heel straps because I had to walk over rocks to reach the water during training. I continue to use booties because its more comfortable on my feet (the strap doesn't rub my soaked heels).

terenceg:
strap fins with booties. booties at least protect you from corals.

I hope you mean dead coral, especially useing that logo. :eyebrow:

as for the fins, open heal is the way to go, they are much more comfortable, versitile and easy to use and as Walter rightly points out safer when boat diving.

ScubaRook:
Hello All,

I am planning a honeymoon to French Polynesia in September. So my fiance and I have taken up PADI scuba classes so we can scuba in FP. We just started the reading material and will be taking the pool classes in a couple of weeks. We are also going to do the open water dives here in Michigan to get more experiance and become more comfortable with diving before we go.

Now, time to buy the gear. We just plan to buy the mask, fins and snorkel. But we are not sure which fins to get between the strap foot fins with dive boots, or the full-foot fins. I am not even sure if we people normally take fins with them to FP. We are only dive twice (two days of two-tank dives), along with snorkeling.

I know the strap-foot fins are better for cold water diving like here in Michigan, but I am not sure how much diving in Michigan we will do. The full-foot fins seem as they would be easier in FP for diving and for snorkeling. Also, we wanted to have reef-shoes, which the dive boots would work, but the dive boots are kind of thick and bulky compared to reef-shoes.

Any suggestions on which to get?

Thanks

Hello, this is my first post, but when I see french Polynesia I cannot resist.
I have been diving quite a bit in cold and warm water.

From what I know from french polynesia they have stone fish hiding in the sand. So you really want to be careful where you put your feet when you get in the water if you are doing beach dives. Of course you are not walking on reefs, this would damage the reefs and we all want to save what is left after the El Ninio ... But I would use a bootie ...

If you are using full feet one, you need a neoprene sock. I got my feet full of blisters the first time I went diving on a trip.

If you are planning to go on diving in your area after your Honeymoon, you definetely can use the same fin. So I would suggest use an open heeled one. By the way, I am selling one pair of Mares Quattro regular if you are interested ... They have only 40 dives, size regular and in a good shape ...
PM me if you are interested ...

Anyhow, have a nice honey moon and trip to a great dive destination

Rubis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom