Which first, rescue or adv. nitrox and deco procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zackalack8999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am hoping to get a job at one of my LDS in the next few weeks, and as such, will receive a big discount on classes. So I was wondering, which class would you take first Rescue or adv. nitrox and deco procedures? I am leaning heavily towards rescue because I consider adv. nitrox to be the beginning of tech. diving whereas rescue class is still within the limits of recreational diving, and I don't think I have enough experience to start with tech diving at the moment.

You don't have 25 dives yet? Don't worry about either for now. Go diving. Then I'd suggest rescue. Tech diving should be far, far in your future.

Just plain diving and Rescue

Pete

No offense bub, but you are so new that you shouldn't be able to type ADV. Nitrox :) Go dive, play around learn, have fun! Then start thinking about complicating your diving and spending horrifying amounts of money on gear.

Absolutely, positively, and without a doubt, *Rescue*.

Rescue teaches you the skills and procedures for effectively rescuing divers in need, but more importantly, Rescue teaches you how not to need to be rescued. Spotting the signs of oncoming panic and cutting it down before it can get a hold of you is but one example of what Rescue covers.

Once you're getting into deco, you reach the point where to be "safe" you *must* solve your problems underwater. Rescue will give you tools to be able to more effectively spot problems earlier, where they're much less complicated and much more easily addressed.

(If you've never had a dive where you had the crushing urge to bolt and had to grab the biggest mental sledgehammer you have to bash your visceral instincts into submission so you could deal with the problem, I certainly wouldn't advise anything like deco. You needn't have an actual incident, but something like overexerting yourself and having to use all your mental power to will yourself to breathe deeply and calm down will certainly give you perspective to handle when you feel something bad start to happen.)

Without a doubt Rescue.

I will someday take Adv. Nitrox and Deco Procedures, but I have alot more just plain basic sport diving to do first. I just recently completed Rescue and I would give ZERO thought to taking any entry level Tech training without Rescue. I'd also imagine that most (shouldn't it be all?) tech instructors would not take you on as a student until you'd taken Rescue.

go for the adv nitrox and deco:D

Well someone had to at least say it.

Seriously, your first instinct and everyones advice is right. In fact I'd be surprised if rescue wasn't a prereq for adv nitrox deco.

Rescue is a step toward Divemaster. You will be more valuable to the shop as a Divemaster than as an advanced Nitrox trained diver. Plus if they do what the shops out here do, as a Divemaster you get to go on free dive boat trips (as the working DM of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom