Which gear is the same as which other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For regs, don't discount Dive Rite. They are very similar to Apeks, Hog, etc., plus you can get service kits from DGX if you want to do your own.

there are a lot of things that fit the OP's question. When I came across it long ago it was form a seller that sold ( through ebay) I think the term was OEM gear. That is gear that has not had the name put on it. fins masks suits and such are that way. when you find your fins look identical to some one elses and one says scubapro and the other says nothing or another brand that is what you have. Two products made by the same , (normally foreign) maker. regulators are in that bunch also. Those names are randomly used for the sake of comment and not fact. I could post names but I wont. you could buy a no name regulator form one guy and it is the same as a brand name one at 3 times the price. Yes it is true that many are also selling foreign made copies of some ones product in the bunch. But after all,,,,who makes any thing that is 100% US produced only. Produced and assembled are 2 different things.
All it takes in the case of fins is a slightly different strap or physical modification and it is a different product. You can recognize this stuff usually because it has no name on it. I bought a regulator for 90 bucks form a florida shop mail order, and a service shop said it was something else because it took the same kit to service. to look at the picture of the brand reg not much was different other than a mouth piece or other such thing. OEM stuff is available and it is the same stuff as the name brands because the foreign makers are the sources for the base product. I may have my split fins from decades ago around If so I will post a pic of OEM fins.

The names (brand and models) are sort of what I was looking for, but they don't need to be posted in public.

Thanks for responding!

My Apeks are TX100 and TX50, so they predate the ATX series, I believe.
How old/young are they?
Mine is DS4/TX50 since 1998. The TX predate the ATX.
I do not see any reason to change your reg other than you need a Christmas present for yourself.

They were purchased in 2000. I wasn't planning on a Christmas present, but maybe next year...

It was more looking for the makes/models that would be simplest to work on, as $150+ to get them serviced hurt.

They were purchased in 2000. I wasn't planning on a Christmas present, but maybe next year...

It was more looking for the makes/models that would be simplest to work on, as $150+ to get them serviced hurt.
Save the money and get a new computer if you are not already diving with two.
Apeks is very very easy to service(DIY) as long as you can get both service kits! The only "special" tool is the C-spanner but it is not that difficult to find it in good hard ware store.
Plenty of info on line and may be even on youtube!

Good luck

Correcte if I'm wrong but it sounds like you don't want to spend so much money getting your regs serviced and are looking for a cheaper alternative to your current setup. If this is the case you could find a manual and order a parts kit for a spare reg of yours and give servicing it a try. You may find that your a natural, or that you now have no problem paying to have your regs serviced.

It might be more helpful to know why you ask? Are you looking for 'the best equipment'? Do you want to get the most value for your money? I see this as going two ways when buying equipment.
1. you research till your hearts content on the interwebs, and decide what you trust and dont' trust, and buy.
2. you find a diver you really trust (or a group), and buy via their recommendations based on what kind of diving you're going to do.

There really isn't much in between. Sometimes you do a combination of the two.

Save the money and get a new computer if you are not already diving with two.
Apeks is very very easy to service(DIY) as long as you can get both service kits! The only "special" tool is the C-spanner but it is not that difficult to find it in good hard ware store.
Plenty of info on line and may be even on youtube!

Good luck

Getting Apeks service kits is a problem in the US.

If you can't service a regulator.............. you should probably only travel by bus....to protect the innocents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom