Which has a higher rate of failure a SPG or a transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be called "wireless" - calling it "AI" is still not accurate . . . since that is not the only way to go AI.

My point was simple - if you want AI, you don't have to go wireless, unlike what some of the posts here would lead you to believe. Benefits without liabilities, plain and simple . .

- Tim

To be even more correct you wouldn't say benifits without liablities because each have their liabliities and benefits.

That would be called "wireless" - calling it "AI" is still not accurate . . . since that is not the only way to go AI.

My point was simple - if you want AI, you don't have to go wireless, unlike what some of the posts here would lead you to believe. Benefits without liabilities, plain and simple . .

- Tim

So, is there still a transmitter?

To be even more correct you wouldn't say benifits without liablities because each have their liabliities and benefits.

For me, the biggest liability is $$$ when you talk AI and wireless options.

Ya know Beave, I'm one who advocates a back up spg. I've had three computer failures (actually within a 5 year period). They were Palaegics (sp?). I got to thinking about one of the OPs I use. The entire staff uses wireless Sols or Lunas. No back up SPG. One of their guides is a neighbor. Saw him earlier today. He has over 600 dives on his Sol without incident.

It depends what you mean by "fail". I have tossed a lot more SPGs than transmitters. But I have never had an SPG irritate the sh*t out of me by refusing to sync up. They are different tools that do the same job, and each has its own drawbacks. So I use both.

Best answer that I agree with. I do the same.

For OW diving - which some apparently think is the ONLY kind of diving there is in the world - I'd be fine with an AI- hoseless computer. I myself have an Epic, though I don't use the AI function; I just like the form factor. When it comes to overhead/technical diving, I'd rather keep it simple. An "old-fashioned" SPG works just fine for me. CCR and OC are two entirely different worlds, btw - just to address someone's comments on technology dependence. That's truly comparing apples to pizza...

It's funny I'm reading your lamentation how divers don't trust technology and at the end you say that you too carry a backup gauge just in case. I do then same, and if I do a deep dive or repetitive I take a second computer.

I carry a backup SPG because I do not own a backup Wireless AI computer. I has nothing to do with trusting technology, simply what I own. When I buy another AI wireless than I will backup my wireless with another wireless. I wish OLED would come down in price. The Hollis DG05 looks nice, but $1400 with transmitter?

FWIW, I have never had a transmitter fail. Only computers. Never my Scubapro nor my Uwatecs. (I do have a Scubapro Extender, it is not an Uwatec.)

I did 200+ dives with a transmitter and a standard Aqualung SPG (plastic) on a hose. It's obvious that I don't need the AI computer but I really like the convience of having all relevant data on my wrist and as I had bought the transmitter right after OWD it is available anyways. So I use the SPG for backup only.

In all these dives I never encountered any issues with pairing or loosing signal (I got an old Suunto Vytec with the standard transmitter btw) so the AI hoseless setup works flawlessly for me. I am quite surprised that quite a few people have bad experience with comparable setups though. During the last couple of dives I noticed a very minor leakage somewhere under the plastic coverage of my SPG so I replaced it with a new brass and glass one.
From I a reliability perspective both, the SPG and the hoseless AI computer, are pretty good with respect to my experience with them.

That being said, when the transmitter dies eventually I won't replace it. I don't need it and the money it costs is better spent on other gear or dive trips IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom