Which kind of diver are you with respect to gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kit is necessary for diving. The more challenging the diving the more kit that is required and with that kit comes other challenges.

Kit is a necessary nuisance and if you have that complex kit, you need to know how to use it and maintain it.

Maybe you’ve missed out skills and planning. It’s not kit, but it’s just as important.

Ultimately, a bit of both, out of necessity.

Initially, I got into it for the sport, as a teenager, for spearfishing; then, later, being stuck in some of the stickier parts of the world, for a few years, which required that I maintain my own stuff, since I really didn't trust the boozy run of shop weasels around me.

While I do enjoy the gear itself, it's just a means to an end; and I seldom replace things outright; am not what I would really consider a gear head; still regularly use bullet-proof regulators from the 1970s; and am of the mind that many divers nowadays. carry far too much crap, along with them, mostly for show.

Can't tell you how many times that I've helped out so-called "tech" divers, bristling with gear, "turtled' in the surf -- pony bottles and redundant computers up the wazoo; but, yet, incapable of getting on their feet, after being tossed in the waves . . .

I'd say I'm between one and two. I'm not brave enough, yet, to tinker with my own regulators. But I installed a Vindicator knob on my tanks, not that it was difficult, and have set up my own Pony bottle with the help of folks on here.

I do enjoy learning about new gear and appreciate well made gear. I reload my own ammo and maintain my own Motorcycles, so perhaps I'll get to Scuba gear self maintenance at some point, but for now, I still enjoy trying to get better at actual diving.

Group 1.
I tinker with my gear till I get it just the way I would like, but other than that it's all just maintenance.

I don't change my gear much (I do tweak) but I definitely look after my gear and I service tech at my LDS so I lean more to group 2.

Group 1. I like my gear to just work right out of the box, no futzing required.

Along these lines you could separate divers who would ideally like just one set of gear that suited all purposes (but maybe they reluctantly own a couple wetsuits of different thicknesses, or separate fins for diving wet and dry, out of necessity) and those who just love collecting gear. I'm in group 1 there, too. I still kinda cringe at the few suboptimal gear purchases I've made and subsequently upgraded from, and I take pride in the things I got right the first time and hope to keep forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom