Which nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backwoodsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to take a nitrox course and was wondering which agency's course would be the best. The only two local LDS's are affiliated with PADI and SSI. If there are any quality issues with these, I wouldn't be opposed to traveling to a better agency. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Randy

Backwoodsdiver:
I would like to take a nitrox course and was wondering which agency's course would be the best. The only two local LDS's are affiliated with PADI and SSI. If there are any quality issues with these, I wouldn't be opposed to traveling to a better agency. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy,

Not sure if this agency is available in your area but I just took a Nitrox course through TDI (Technical Diving International) Canada. Be safe, dive safe.

JAK

Backwoodsdiver:

Thanks,
Randy

If you didn't have any issues with your instuctor or LDS that you started with, stay with them.

Backwoodsdiver:

Thanks,
Randy

I'm going to recommend PADI. The Nitrox course isn't rocket science. PADI's materials are good and their Nitrox course involves some swimming. There is at least one agency that does Nitrox without any practical experience and I would stay away from that. IIRC it was SDI but get verification before you quote me.

R..

Agree with Diver0001, the nitrox class is fairly simple and hard to screw up too badly. Again, the instructor makes more difference than the agency, so I wouldn't go to any great lengths unless the locals are not good.

MD

I will 'third' the motion. Go to whoever is closest/cheapest. Go through the book, learn your tables, do your dives. It ain't rocket science.

I did PADI's course. I know the LDS operator quite well (so he knew I was smarter than the average bear). I had read the book and worked all the problems before going to the shop. We spent <2 hours there going through the book together and I took the test and was done except for the two open water dives that we did later that week.

NEWreckDiver:
If you didn't have any issues with your instuctor or LDS that you started with, stay with them.

I wish I could, but the LDS I used for all my other training closed down about four years ago. I havn't done much diving in the past six years so I don't really know anyone at the other two shops. I would love to find the instructor who taught my cavern course but I don't think he lives in this area anymore. Are there any differences between each agency's tables or are they basically identical?

partly because they didn't require checkout dives. Also because I'm very interested in the more advanced courses (advanced nitrox, deco procedures, possibly trimix) and basic nitrox is the first step. No regrets - they covered eveything that I wanted.

Backwoodsdiver:
Are there any differences between each agency's tables or are they basically identical?
Well, the tables are somewhat different, though. The standard student crew pack for the PADI Enriched Air course includes PADI's RDP for 32% and 36% as well as their oxygen exposure table. You would need access to the PADI air RDP for working out a few of the problems.

I'm not sure exactly what course materials the SSI course uses. I assume a book, and possibly tables of some sort.

The PADI course requires 2 dives. IIFC, the SSI course does not require dives, though I've heard of SSI instructors including dive(s) in the course.

If you have nothing else to base your decision upon, try shop 'A' for enriched air, and try shop 'B' for some other specialty course. It could give you a means of comparison upon which to base future course decisions.

Backwoodsdiver:
I wish I could, but the LDS I used for all my other training closed down about four years ago. I havn't done much diving in the past six years so I don't really know anyone at the other two shops. I would love to find the instructor who taught my cavern course but I don't think he lives in this area anymore. Are there any differences between each agency's tables or are they basically identical?

Well that is to bad. I have taken the PADI course and I found to be good. Looking back even now, it is good. I can not comment on SSI, because I have never taken or seen any of their courses.

However a bad instructor can make even the best laid out course bad. Spend a little time talking to the instuctors from both agencies and base you decision on that.

I think this is the best anyone can offer you.

Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom