Which Oly camera is best for a newbie ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agnies03

Registered
Reaction score
Need help! I'm new to diving and never had an Oly camera.. I'm interested in buying a decent and affordable one (as I'm not ready and qualified for the high end stuff) from ebay or elsewhere, currently hesitating between Stylus (400, 410) or a C-5000. Thinking about an Oly housing to start with.

I've never done underwater photography and I'm still quite lost with all the technical terms; read some great posts here but would like some opinions regarding the stylus vs the c-series considering that I'd like a decent quality and easy to use camera but that would last for a while, and that would be used mostly in the Caribbean (Cozumel, Bonaire, Honduras...), giving decent pics with the flash since I cannot afford a strobe yet.
As for the Oly housings, can all the functions be adjusted on the camera underwater, and can a flooding guarantee be purchased ? I'm really afraid that it'll flood; what's the best way to prevent it and to do maintenance on housings ? Sorry for my ignorance here.

Thanks a lot in advance !

I think you first need to define you budget and price point and then research the camera's in that range.

If it were me, I would go with a used C5060 with PT020 housing. The internal strobe is pretty good for close up work. If you're looking for use of a strobe beyond a couple of feet, you would need to go with an external strobe. The PT020 housing are very cheap. In fact, I was looking to buy some spare o-rings for my pt020 housing when I figured that I could buy a brand new housing for just a little more than the o-rings. I paid $63.55 shipped from an authorized Oly dealer for a Brand New housing. Besides this setup will grow with your needs. You can always add a tray, strobe, macro or wide angle lens in the future as you talents/budget allow.
As for flooding, if you take the time to ensure the o-rings are cleaned, greased and sitting properly in their grooves, you should have no issues with flooding. I always do a pre-inspection before I take the housing on a dive with me. As for functions on the camera, my pt020 housing allows me use of the camera's functions. As for maintenance, clean the o-rings after each day of diving, soak/rinse the housing in fresh water after each day of diving and add some liquid silicone to the buttons to allow for smooth operation.
Just my biased opinion, as I enjoy my 5060.

Good luck with your decision.

Look at your budget and maybe consider results as part of it. I've had the old d-40 (c-40) and have had friends with the stylus series. Good results can be had with all of those cameras, but it's not without a bunch of tweaking, or looking into suggested settings that you will have to set yourself. I've seen a LOT of bad photos come out of those cameras, that can happen with any camera.

Pretty much all the Oly housings allow for using all the features of the camera. Floods can happen, there is insurance available if you want. We're looking into getting DEPP insurance for our cameras and a set of gear or two.

I picked up the sp-350, case and a gig of memory for about $450. I took it down and decided to just shoot nothing but it's auto "Underwater macro" setting for about 20 minutes the other day and nearly every shot between "9 and 20" or so was good - on the money focus, properly exposed, etc. I never had that consistantly good results with the old d-40. The ones that were 2-3 feet + were still OK except for lighting being a bit lacking. This was clear water likely comparable to the type of diving you are looking to do. If results continue with the same amount of success in future dives, for simple point and shoot at close range this can't be beat as it does all the settings for you. I'll be getting a lot more practice with the camera in the next couple of weeks and have a better idea of it's capabilities and drawbacks, but so far I'm impressed.

I tried one of the auto "underwater wide angle" settings for maybe two shots, but didn't really give it enough attention to know if I'd use them. I don't know how those setting compare to results with a manual white balance. At least this camera can grow into nearly everything I need 'til I'm ready for a DSLR.... I've got a c-8080 and housing and I may be using the little sp-350 just as often, maybe more often, from here on.

I'm not sure if the stylus series cameras have a manual white balance option, but if you want to take pictures of divers, big stuff or regular wide angle photos underwater, you will really miss the potential of a manual white balance IF they don't have it. That may be a plus for the c and sp series.

Take a look at your budget and how much you want to put into it. If you're planning to spend less than $300 your options are limited somewhat. I'd personally get that c-5000 over the stylus series if it can be had for that kind of money. If $500 is within the range, you won't need to skimp but can pick up a camera with more or less automatic underwater features and you can grow into using other features if you wish.

Good luck.

Welcome to the board.
If I read your post correctly you are a new diver. I understand your desire to take photos of the underwater world but may I make a suggestion? Take some time and just dive. From a diving perspective underwater photography is a lot more difficult than it may seem. Your buoyancy, buddy and overall dive skills need to be dead on and instinctive before you take on the extra task load of a camera. Do 50 to 100 dives first and sharpen your skills, then find a camera. Your pictures will come out a lot better and you will be a lot safer. The fish will still be there.

I'll second what Herman said. When you get the camera in your hand, you tend to forget about other stuff. Also, you have one less hand available for finding your reg, adjusting your bouyancy, holding your light, etc. That said, I wouldn't discourage you from taking the pictures. Get a camera that can be used in auto or manual modes, so that you can start the easy way and adapt when you get better at it. In the Oly line, the best choice for that is the SP-350. It takes quite decent pictures in the UW scene modes, which are just point it and shoot it as you would topside. When you've become better at diving and shooting, you can adjust it like a DSLR and edit your pictures in RAW format. I suggest you get the camera now and use it a lot topside in all configurations. Really get comfortable with it. Then, when you are more comfortable underwater, you will have an easier time and less to think about as you will already be very familiar with the camera and its settings. When you get really good at taking basic shots from various distances, you'll probably want to add a strobe and a couple of lenses-macro and wide angle. Then, it will be time for a DSLR, a whole new set of skills, a big bank account...Oh, never mind.

What Herman and Larry said, get real comfortable with your diving before you take a camera with you.

Linda, I talked with Allison this afternoon. She wants to get in the pool soon and play with some of her gear. You interested in joining us?

Hi again,

I'm so glad I found this amazing board ! Thank you all so much for the great info; I just got certified two months ago and am in fact going to do a few dives before bringing the camera to work on my diving skills..I'm just so impatient to save some memories of my dives !

My budget is indeed limited right now, I was hoping to spend under 300$ for the camera and housing..but I'll consider the sp-350.
From what I hear manual white balance is a big plus..on the specs of the Stylus 410 and C-5000 it's said that they have a 'pre-set manual white balance'; is it comparable to the manual white balance of the sp-350 ?

Thanks!

for what it's worth after months of research and debating of different brands/models, I finally got an SP-350, and I mean just got it delivered today, all I've done is take it out of the box and play with it a little. Also if you buy from an authorized dealer before the 30th, there is a $50 mail-in rebate on the SP-350 right now, I got the camera for $209 [after rebate], with housing, 1gb xD card, crv3 x2 with charger for just about $450 pending rebate, everything except batteries from B&H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom