which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given your suggestions I like the Transpac but I have switched to the WTX Harness as I think it is significantly more versatile.

wtx_harness.jpg

Here is mine witha DiveRite Venture wing.
DSC03114_Medium_.JPG

Dave, your garage really needs a good straightening up.:D
Only saying it as a friend:lotsalove:.

And I don't even wanna KNOW what the chain is for!

thanks everyone, i think im staring to understand more about bp/w set up.

any suggestions for a good bp/w set up that would work for a new diver?

There are several!

For starters, you would probably prefer a wing with between 30 and 40 pounds of lift, as any more would make the wing to big and floppy, and would do its best to put your face down in the surface when fully inflated.

It should be a wing designated for single tanks (relatively narrow), which means you will need another wing when you decide to dive large twinsets (small twinset may work well with a singles wing)
The wing should not have any bungees, as those are really bad if it should start to leak.

I prefer circular wings, and have been using the Halcyon Eclipse 30# quite a bit, and enjoying it very much! I also have a GolemGear Ring-wing, which I unfortunately have never dived (long story), but it looks really nice, and is perfect if you get a backplate with an integrated single tank adapter such as Golem Stream (which unfortunately is not very suitable for twinsets)

The brands I personally can recommend is: Halcyon, Oxycheq, DTD/DirZone, GolemGear and Agir. This applies to wings, backplates and single-tank-adaptors (STA).

The type of harness is another matter. I use a Hogarthian setup, which is a single-length webbing without any quickreleases, almost like a backpack, but this is a matter of what you prefer, unless you plan to do a course with GUE, then it is a requirement. Still, I like not having any weak points...

thanks everyone, i think im staring to understand more about bp/w set up.

any suggestions for a good bp/w set up that would work for a new diver?

DiveRite plate, either aluminum or steel depending on your preference. I have one of each. I use the steel for salt water locally and the aluminum for fresh water and travel.

A DiveRite Ventur EXP is a good starging wing. It is very stable, has all the lift you should need for even the largest single tanks. When you start diving doubles you can move to a wing with a big more lift.

Jeff

try the oms aluminum or steel bp withe 32lb lift wing

I dive and heartily recommend Deep Sea Supply. Service is second to none, value is superb, and I like they way they do business. If you were to call Tobin (Coolhardware52 here on the board) he will spend an hour with you on the phone determing your needs, discussing your options, and giving you solid advice. In addition even though it is a great name in BPW set ups you are not paying for that. You are paying for quality, service, and value. Go to www.deepseasupply.com and check them out. If you want more specific info contact me through my website at Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

I not only dive, but recommend and sell DSS products to my students because they work. Nothing against Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, and the others mentioned they are all great products. I just like DSS's line and their staff.

If I had to recommend a starter set up for new PA diver for single tanks it would be the DSS Single tank Rig with LCD 30 wing and Hogarthian harness. If ya want specifics on that set up email or call me. Info is on my website. Last call I got about a DSS setup came from upstate NY. I was the only person who responded out of several shops the guy emailed asking for advice on BPW setup. I don't even have a shop but I believe in taking time with everyone who asks. THey may be my next student or one of their friends or relatives could be. Be happy to talk with ya Sea Spartan. Where is Shipp PA. If it's close enough I'd even dive with ya to help you get used to your new setup!

DUH! Could it be Shippensburg? Google is my friend.

And I don't even wanna KNOW what the chain is for!

My guess it's for smartasses that tell him his garage is a mess! I mean a diver with a chain like that! Like I told the skanky little bimbo my son was messing around with a few years ago- " Darlin' , I'm Italian and a diver. You hurt my son and we could have a real problem. I know where and how to hide the bodies where nobody will ever find em!":shocked2: They broke up very shortly after:D. Fancy that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom