Which springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyRubberDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My buddy and I are looking to dive some springs that are open. We are both OW. We don't want to spend a lot of money as we are poor college students. What would you recommend from Orlando? I would prefer not to dive something with light restrictions. I know I am only OW but I know when to turn around even if I am allowed a light. Something with OW capable cavern would be nice. I was thinking about manatee or kings spring.

Thanks

Neil

There is hospital Hole its about 45 min south of Crystal river which is free if you swim/walk in the river. or you could rent a canoe.

Paradise springs, Blue grotto, Devils den,and Ginnie springs are all 30+ to dive.

Troy and peacock/orange grove are light restricted but are 10 dollars each.

Blue Spring is closed until March but Alexander Springs is fairly close. Manatee is about a 3 hour drive from O-town but is a nice dive. I was at both of these springs within the past few weeks and had great dives. One thing about Alexander... expect to get sand EVERYWHERE!

I only dove the main spring at Manatee because Catfish Hotel is covered in duckweed, which I'm guessing blocks all the light... and I like light. Manatee is a state park and you can get a family annual pass (good for all the state parks) for $80, an individual annual pass for $40 or pay $10/diver each time. I think Alexander is part of the National Park system, but it was only $10/diver as well.

Ken

Manatee doesn't allow OW divers to have lights in Catfish and you don't need one in the main spring, since there's no cavern zone, just a big 25' deep bowl w/ a spring vent on one side.

Kings Spring has very poor visibility typically.

There's really minimal choices if you are looking for a cheap, no light restriction, "cavern-like" dive.

Alexander Springs is a neat dive, lots of fish variety even in the shallows. Wear a hood of some sort if you don't like spending days digging sand out of your scalp.

The duckweed at Catfish doesn't block the light it filters it and you get this really cool green effect. Your exhaust bubbles push the duckweed around and open a hole above you so even more light comes in. Make sure to clear the area above by purging your octo as before you reach the surface if it's not already clear. Getting duckweed off you and your gear is a PAIN!
Ber :lilbunny:

Alexander is pretty close to Orlando. Not a very large area to dive and can get pretty crowded on week ends. Still its worth a look at due to the wildlife Ive encountered there. Manatee is about 2 hours away from Alexander but has two areas to dive. Though not very large the spring head is clear and worth a dive. Catfish sink on the other side is not as bad as it sounds, as you enter the green gunk on top moves away from the entrance and some sunlight does penetrate, not much too see if your not certified to go into the tunnels. Both of these are fairly inexpensive and there is also more to see than just diving. King springs is free. the water is a bit darker especially if there is run off from a recent rain or vessel traffic, it is also a larger area to goof around in. These were taken at alexander a while back.

Attachments

• AlexSprings.jpg
    AlexSprings.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 42
  • AlexSprings2.jpg
    AlexSprings2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 37
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 42
Like others have said... Alexander is not too far, and is a really cool dive. I was there a couple of weeks ago. I saw tons of fish, especially when my buddy started feeding hotdogs to them, they came out of no where... an otter (pretty cool)... there is a couple of caverns/overheads there, I poked my head in, but stayed out as I am OW only. Very nice dive, worth the drive, and price of $10/diver. :blinking:

I've done Blue Grotto, which was fun, just a bit pricey at $40/diver. :shakehead:

I went to Manatee Springs just this last week, and it was pretty fun. I saw a snapping turtle (don't touch:no:), flounder (way cool) and the smallest little flounder that was maybe an inch long... the flow is strong, and was way cool to play with... there's a log that has fallen in just the right place that you can hold on and feel like you are flying... :D

There's also Troy, which is supposed to be opened again, I haven't been there yet... but it's on my list of to do springs... then there's Blue Springs in Orange City, but it's still closed to diving because of the manatee.

Have fun wherever you go...

You might try Devil's Den

Ok. So Kings spring is free and has no light restrictions? I can take my g/f mazda so gas wont be expensive. Aren't there other springs right around there also?

king spring and three sisters springs are in the same area.

alittle south about 45 min is hospital hole and a little more south is hudson grotto all of them allow lights. hospital hole and hudson grotto both had a hydrogen sulfide layer at around 80 or 90 feet and is not wise for OW divers to go into.

the dives you are saying you wwant to do fall into the 30 dollars per person range and are blue grotto, ginnie springs, paradise springs.

if you want free I would say crystal river and hospital hole

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom