Which wing for Transpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
I was just about to buy my new transpac with travel wing and the shop was encouraging me to go with the rec wing instead. Any opinions ?

My type of diving is currently in far off shores with single cylinder and wet suit. I hope to get into more techy and UK dry suit diving in the future, and so will probably have doubles etc on the horizon.

Should I buy a travel wing now as it is ideal for single cylinders in warm water and travelling, and get another wing when the need arises ?
or should I buy a rec wing that can do singles and doubles but isn't the greatest at either or maybe bulkier for travelling ?

Thanks again

Conor

I bought the rec wing when I bought my transpac because I anticipated going into more technical diving. I have used the rec wing with a variety of cylinder configurations ranging from a single AL80 to double LP112's.

IMO, it has worked fine with every situation I have tried and I see no problem using it with single cylinders. Others have had differing experiences.

It is likely more a question of economics. If you can afford to buy the travel wing now, then upgrade to the rec wing later then I don't think you can go wrong. OTH, if your diving $$ is limited, I think the rec wing is the best way to go.

Conor once bubbled...
I was just about to buy my new transpac with travel wing and the shop was encouraging me to go with the rec wing instead. Any opinions ?

My type of diving is currently in far off shores with single cylinder and wet suit. I hope to get into more techy and UK dry suit diving in the future, and so will probably have doubles etc on the horizon.

Should I buy a travel wing now as it is ideal for single cylinders in warm water and travelling, and get another wing when the need arises ?
or should I buy a rec wing that can do singles and doubles but isn't the greatest at either or maybe bulkier for travelling ?

Thanks again

Conor

Hi Conor!!

I have and would recommend the travel wing as it is ideal for your application at the moment the Rec wing is a good wing but is more suitable for doubles I use the classic wing as this is the preferred style for doubles and has the correct lift, trim and stability in the water!! The Halcyon explorer wing is definately another good choice! I would not use the rec wing for singles as my first choice, you will love the travel wing for single tank diving and it is very compact and packs well.

Good Luck

len

I started with the Rec wing because at the time I could afford only one. It's performance with singles was, to me, unsatisfactory* and I bought the travel wing at the earliest opportunity.
Rick
*I do a lot of head down rolling around to get good positioning for taking pictures without touching the reef. I found that the Rec wing (and any "U" shaped wing) traps air on one side during this kind of maneuvering that makes it extremely irritating. The travel wing, because it can shunt air side-to-side in any position, doesn't have this problem and with the transpac is, in my opinion, about as perfect a single cylinder system as you can get.

I use a travel wing with singles. My diving is all warm water and usually aluminum 80's, sometimes smaller tanks. The travel wing is ideal. Both its narrow dimensions and the circular construction allow it to avoid air trapping. There is also very little of the pushing forward found in many back inflate BC's.

See this:

http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst1098.htm#wings

You reassured and convinced me, I am now the proud owner of a TPII with travel wing. I just placed an order for the bc, reg set and computer getting a nice discount for buying it all at once.

Thanks for you help, I just can't wait to get in the water

Conor

FYI Bud, Rec Wings are Over $270.00 msrp brand new. You should just get the one Rec wing. I dive with both the Travel and Rec Wings, and prefer the Recs.

Honestly, it was my first wing, I wasn't used to it at all. But after a few dives, and added some trim weight, I would never go the travel wings again. They are awesome wings.

Especially since you said you are getting into tech, you are going to need the Recs anyway. The travels wouldn't work for anything but singles. Plus if you needed the lift for hauling more gear you got it, it's just right not too little and not too much, you can still do singles with it, carry a camera or even a game bag. Or you can go do some tech, by taking the wings off the transpac and putting it on a backplate you can do doubles and carry a heck of a lot of gear. You can't do that with the travel wings except be easier for packing, and doing lots of dives with singles. Don't limit yourself.
:bonk: :wink:

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I started with the Rec wing because at the time I could afford only one. It's performance with singles was, to me, unsatisfactory* and I bought the travel wing at the earliest opportunity.
Rick
*I do a lot of head down rolling around to get good positioning for taking pictures without touching the reef. I found that the Rec wing (and any "U" shaped wing) traps air on one side during this kind of maneuvering that makes it extremely irritating. The travel wing, because it can shunt air side-to-side in any position, doesn't have this problem and with the transpac is, in my opinion, about as perfect a single cylinder system as you can get.

Rick you certainly nailed that one on the head!! Talk about a system that really feels like you are wearing nothing!!! I totally agree with you!

Len

I have the rec wing. I works for everything from summer diving in a 3-mm to drysuit diving in the winter. If you just dive warm weather, 3mm or less wetsuit, the travel will probably be fine. If you also dive up north or in the winter, I would recommend the rec wing for an all around choice. Enjoy the BC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom