Which wing for Transpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....I now have my new toys, and can't wait to use it though.

A couple of questions for you

Did you trim the spare belt length on the right hand side ? (sorry if you have seen the same question in another thread)

Also do you remove the back padding for singles as suggested in the manual?

Way to go!! Good Purchase.

I have had my TPII for a couple of months now. I have not removed the backpad when diving a single. There's a little boyancy that goes with leaving it in, but it's minor. I would say that you probably don't need it, but it's not going to hurt much to leave it in.

I removed a few inches off my waist strap leaving plenty on in case I manage to gain a few hundred pounds this year :D . I can't belive how much material was there, I guess they cut the length to fit all.

Jimi

The waist belt on my TP2 was 60" long. Be careful on cutting it, especially on the buckle side.

I use the back pad all the time. Once it is soaked, the entire rig is neutrally bouyant to slightly negative. The pad contributes greatly to comfort and the friction that it provides makes it unnecessary to use a crotch strap with the "resort" AL 80's that I dive. The pad does take a while to dry in humid conditions, squeeze the water out, it helps.

Keep the top cam band even with the crown of the tank for best results. I use the plastic friction pad only on the lower strap.

thanks for the tips, not just this but in the other posts, it help me decide and I know I have got the right solution for me now.

I am consisering triming the right hand side of the belt to a length of about 8 inches beyond the buckle (which is already as far left as it will go), or to the left hand Dring which ever is longer. Does this sound like a suitable length ? Bearing in mind I may end up wearing it with a dry suit in the future.

Also, any tips on Octopus holders ? should I buy one, or just rig one up myself ?

and see if it is in the way. You can always cut off more later, but you can not put any back. Someone around here has the signature "dive the problem". That is probably appropriate here.

I have a Scubapro octopus holder hanging off my right shoulder d-ring. It came with the octopus, so I use it. I have seen divers make octopus holders out of bungee cord or surgical tubing (other than the DIR style necklace) and zip ties. No reason why you can't do that if you have easy access to the materials. Just make sure that a reasonable pull will free the octopus without fooling with clips or velcro. None of this is a big deal, of course.

Get in the water, escape this goofed up world.

I'm currently planning two weeks in the Red Sea, but that is unfortunately two months away ;-0 . So I'm trying to get everything up to 'best guess level' in the mean time as I won't be able to dive it until then, and don't want to spend too much of the time changing my equipment, as I probably won't be able to find the bits and bobs while I'm out there.

I just love the UK.

So... just take a pair of sissors and a book of matches. In a pinch find a pool. I know how you feel. Actually, I took my TP2 to a local nasty lake for a shakedown before I left for Oz last October. Fortunately, around here the lakes are reasonably warm that time of year, just minimal visibility. Of course, weighting was off due to fresh vs salt water.

After over 50 dives with the TP2 I am still playing around with trim weights and such. Experimentation has shown that 3# or 1.5 kg is the most to go on the center of the upper tank band. Any more and things get a bit tippy. I am going to try threading one 2# on the tank band directly and the other 2# in a Halcyon trim pouch, on opposite sides of the tank near my back and see how that works, and will also try a single 2# in the center. I will be in salt water again on March 9. I have pretty much settled on keeping one Halcyon trim pocket on the buckle side of the belt and a weight threaded directly onto the other side of the belt.

Whild I was down in Belize our divemaster dove without any weight at all with an aluminum 80. No wetsuit either, in 79 f water. Kind of gives a new meaning to minimalism.

Been using the REC wing for over a year with singles either an AL80 or a steel 95 and it's worked perfectly.

It is NOT acceptable for doubles of any kind, for me at least. I'm 6'5" 220lbs though.

Anyhow.... I think the REC wing is the best all round performer for MOST people. The travel wing is useless in my opinion. If you were doing tropical diving with little or no gear then it would be o.k., but I honestly think that if your buying a TPII, why on earth would you use it for such an application?

Just my 2cents.... I'd go REC wing.... I now own a rec and a dual REC for doubles.

Good Luck :D

wheezy once bubbled...

Anyhow.... I think the REC wing is the best all round performer for MOST people. The travel wing is useless in my opinion. If you were doing tropical diving with little or no gear then it would be o.k., but I honestly think that if your buying a TPII, why on earth would you use it for such an application?

Good Luck :D

The answer is that the TPII travel wing combination works so well in warm and the upper ranges of temperate water. Very streamlined, secure tank mounting, lots of adjustability, comfortable, easy to manage air in wing, packs small. What else would you want?

It's not all that streamlined.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the TPII... but there are MUCH better choices for tropical diving. Even the balance from SeaQuest is a better Choice.

Buying a TPII for tropical diving is just overkill in my opinion.

To each his own... :D

Back
Top Bottom