Which zip line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand there are four different ziplines there. Which one did you like the best and why? Thx in advance

Understanding that this is a scuba forum, I would still like to hear any responses to this question as well. I know most of you are die hard scuba fans, but ocassionally some of us like to take a very brief time to do other activities we have not encountered before. Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure someone here has done the ziplines.

We have used South Shore Canopy Zip lines 3 times now. Been very satisfied with them, and their prices were better than Gumbala Park.

Reprinted and purloined from the nets (Roatan on-line) with absolutely no idea (or any real concern) as to whether it's accurate.....

Roatan has four zip line canopy tours: South Shore Canopy Tour and Gumbalimba Park, both at West Bay Beach, and two centrally-located near Fantasy Island and Palmetto Hill.

Palmetto Bay Hill: biggest on the island, with 20 platforms, including swing bridges and a climbing wall. Once you arrive at the tour, your guide will equip you with a harness and safety equipment and you will be guided through the jungle, from platform-to-platform. There are 20 rides from the top of the hill through the jungle, and these include zip lines, where you glide through the jungle attached to a safety cable and harness, swing bridge walks in the tops of the trees, and a small climbing wall. Guests will be able to able to have fun with this activity; children should be at least 1.3 meters (4 feet) tall.

Things to bring with you: Sneakers or sandals with back straps, sunscreen and insect repellent, shorts or trousers and don't forget your camera!! This is a moderate-level activity.

Tickets and transportation for the Palmetto Ridge Canopy Tour can be purchased through Tropicalrez.com.

West Bay Pirate's of the Caribbean Canopy Tour

Murphy's Roatan Tours offers beginning and advanced zip line tours.

West Bay Beach: Tour buses stop at the Canopy Tour entrance; if you're driving, you'll see the Park entrance on the right a little past, on the road to West Bay Beach. The canopy tour consists of 11 platforms with two short walks. After gearing up and listening to a brief explanation of safety features and techniques, adventurers take off from the briefing station to the first tree platform, about 60 feet high. The tour lasts about one hour.

NOTE to Cruise ship visitors: There seems to be some sort of arrangement whereby your gate charge may be the same rate for Gumbalimba as if you had booked through the cruise ship -- please check this out.

These adventures are tree top canopy "cable slide" rides for thrill seekers. The canopy tours are located at the Tabyana Beach Gumbalimba Park, Memba Zipline near Coxen Hole along the main road, Roatan South Shore (www.southshorecanopy.com), Pirates of the Caribbean (www.roatanpiratescanopy.com 455-7576 or 9990-4973) and in Palmetto Ridge Canopy Tour. Tickets and transportation for the Palmetto Ridge Canopy Tour can be purchased through Tropicalrez.com. Please note that this activity can be very dangerous and can result in serious injury or death.

http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanCanopyZipline.html
http://www.roatanpiratescanopy.com/index.htm
http://www.clipnziproatan.com/en/index.html
http://www.boddentours.com/zipndip.htm

roatanman, what can you tell us about the Pirates of the caribbean zipline? i thought i read somewhere that this one has maybe the highest, or longest zipline or something. we're only going to go to one of the four, and are trying to make a choice. thanks.

roatanman, what can you tell us about the Pirates of the caribbean zipline? i thought i read somewhere that this one has maybe the highest, or longest zipline or something. we're only going to go to one of the four, and are trying to make a choice. thanks.

I can't tell you much.

I go to dive. I used to do much crazier stuff than zip lining, and because of that, I am thrilled to be underwater... total freedom, not bound by gravity and my wretched bones.

I do know this: I have seen posters hung about on Roatan that chart out the statistics of each of the zip line offerings. Anybody there right now to copy one out for us? I know there's one hanging at Cocoview.

We have only done the gumbalimba park one. We did it in 2008 with 3 adults and 2 3.5 year olds (they were attached to guides). We went on a non-cruise day. It was great. We had the whole park to our selves. We had 3 guides and a photographer to ourselves. The photographer took about 70 pictures for us. We bought the whole CD of pictures for $40. We stayed at the park and used the pool/beach, saw the monkeys etc the rest of the day.

Because we went there and had a good experience and we knew they would take our kids (now 6 years old) we went there again a few days ago. We booked through a guy named Jimmy (we used him in 2008 too...across the street from the beach house in west end). $45 per person included the zip line and park admission (if you call gumbalimba directly the combo is $55 per person). While we had a great time again, we were a little disappointed this time for two reasons. They used to have 18 zip lines. Somewhere in the middle you had to walk up the hill about 50-100 ft to get to the next platform. Apparently, people complained about this so then eliminated some lines so people did not have to walk. This eliminated 5 lines, so they now only have 13 lines. Second, we asked several times if the photographer was going down with us. They said yes, so we did not take our camera. Of course, he did not come for some reason. One of the guides took some pictures with his phone and said he would e-mail them to me. Hopefully he does.

Donnad:

We ziplined at 2 different places last month while on Roatan. Here is the report that my wife posted on Trip Advisor:

"Ziplining: We zip lined with South Shore Canopy and did the Gumbalimba Park/Zipline package. Both were $45 pp. They were similar in number of lines. We give a slight advantage to South Shore Canopy, maybe because it was our first time, it seemed more exciting. However, Gumbalimba did have an extra security cable that we were clipped to at all times, and that makes a mom happy!

Gumbalimba Park:Buying the park/zipline package through Gumbalimba gives you the park entrance for $10 instead of $20. We weren't sure about doing this; the reviews are mixed as to whether or not it's worth it. But spending time with the White-faced Capuchin monkeys turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip!

Our guide, Ryan, was very nice and knowledgeable and showed us the iguanas, the monkey la-la's, the scarlet macaws and parrots. We were the only ones in the park (it was sort of gray and drizzly) and so we got to spend as much time as we wanted with the monkeys. They were so fun! This was the kids' favorite part of the vacation! We spent about 30 minutes with monkeys. When we finally left, our guide told us we could go back on our own to spend more time with the monkeys if we wanted. Also, we were told that with our wristband, we could return the next day if we wished."

For way more detail that you probably wanted, you can read the entire post here:

Family Trip Report, July 1-11 - Roatan Forum - TripAdvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom