While on Vacation, Why don't u like other people changin your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman:
I've only done half a dozen trips, but it's never come up as an issue--I've always set up my own gear, have never even seen a DM try to do it.

You're right. It's really not an issue. In resort areas, it's quite common for the crew to offer. I've never had anyone try to tell me I had no choice.

I know. If it's too rough for me to set up my gear, it's too rough for the crew to set up their gear. If it's that rough, I'm not going out.

You are losing me here. You mean to tell me you have never been on a dive boat where swells or change in weather in between dives caused a boat to become rather unstable?

I doubt someone is going to tell you that you cant change out your gear but enough "Walters" on a boat insisting on changing out their own tanks in rough seas is a nightmare.

Funnily enough, at my local LDS the rule is that the DM is not allowed to touch the customer's gear without their permission. But they happily schlep gear if asked.

Rhone Man:
Funnily enough, at my local LDS the rule is that the DM is not allowed to touch the customer's gear without their permission. But they happily schlep gear if asked.

As it should be (and usually is).

When I worked in the islands, the staff always changed tanks during the SI while the customers enjoyed the sun. In most cases people preferred this, but if someone did not want the staff to do this we respected their request. We changed tanks as a customer service deal, plus it was quicker and easier for the staff to do it. Most people liked it when we changed their tanks.

When I first started diving I was adamant about changing over my own tank. I was taught to do it myself. But after working in the islands and changing hundreds of tanks, I now rather enjoy sitting back and letting someone else do it. Especially if I paid for the trip. That being said, I still double check to make sure it is hooked up correctly and how I want it. Ultimately, it is my responsibility to ensure my gear is set up properly.

To answer the original question, there is nothing wrong with allowing the staff to change over your tank. However, it is your responsibility to ensure your gear is set up correctly. I must also emphasize that every certified diver should know how to set up their scuba unit on their own. If you are allowing the staff/crew to change over your tank because you don't remember how, then it isn't right.

Interesting discussion.

I have always felt quite strongly about setting up my own gear, thankfully, in my local SoCal diving, that's the norm on the boats here, so there's never been an iota of conflict on that.

During my recent trip to Bali, however, I had to adjust my hardline stance on the matter. The locals set up the gear and carry it for you as part of the service, and this is actually how they make their money. Disallowing it would actually be something of a major breach of local custom and would have made me a very unpopular tourist. Some flexibility is not a bad thing.

So eventually, I relaxed into letting them set up my gear as was their wont, and simply resigned myself to the fact that I would be readjusting everything myself once we arrived at the dive site. They never did get the placement of my cam bands and straps right, in nearly 30 gear setups, but frankly, many things they did just fine.

Realistically, however, while I always kept a close watch on them, they weren't likely to actually harm my gear, just by setting it up. This part of their job, simple assembly of things and then carrying them, they knew how to do quite well. The subtleties of a DIR long hose rig were simply outside of what they really knew how to handle, but again, nothing they did was actually harmful as long as I went over everything carefully before getting in the water... which everyone should do anyway. They did learn my preference for DIN (only one in my group) and were kind enough to make sure the few pro valves in their collection always went to me, and they took the extra time to remove the donut and get that aspect set up for me. For the first few dives that was always a bit of a cluster, so I'm glad that part worked out.

One reason is if you hold a PADI Vacation Diver certification. It is clearly identified in the manual that VD card holders should never set up their own gear because it is an affront to the staff on the boat and dangerous for someone who only sees or uses scuba gear once a year. :D

Don't think "vacation diver certified" (what a foolish certification :shakehead: - to me like being a little pregnant - but I digress) is the theme or the intent of this thread, but will agree with you that all divers should dive to their experience, training and certification :D

And once again, the maniacs pevail.

Anyone want to comment on the very rational theory that A) letting the boat crew do the initial setup and then having you AND your buddy check it might actually be SAFER than setting it up yourself, or B) that 15 divers setting up their own gear on a moving, rolling boat might actually be the CAUSE of injuries?

There are reasons the boat crew would PREFER (I've never seen one insist) to setup the gear and let you check it after.

Walter, folks like you and Thalassamania obviously have way too much free time and are the kind of know-it-alls that actually discourage new divers with your attitude. If only 1% of divers belong to SB, it's got to be the 1% that lives to tell the other 99% what we're all doing wrong.

Dude, it IS the instructor, not the agency.

You may not have much experience diving SE FL, where we get a fair number of vacationers, especially in the winter - I'm unaware of any dive op that sets up tanks - not saying they don't exist, but in 30 years of living down here, and diving with quite a few, can't think of one. You are expected to set up both your tanks, even in winter, when the conditions can be on the choppy side.

Last time I let a crew set up my gear (which will be hte last time I ever do it) they dropped MY tank, broke the handle on the pillar valve, and lost half my air. It was a smaller boat, they had no extra DIN tanks, and no ability to fill a tank.

How do I replace half my air in a few minutes? I've been told I'm full of hot air, but I didn't have a connector.

Their mistake, but it becomes your problem - anyone can have an accident, but if it happens, I want it to be my doing, not the crews.

I know these places are trying to be helpful, and to most vacation divers they probably are. But this site is the more hardcore diving fans who would dive in an infested swamp if it was their only option :), and those type of divers are probably much more likely to be independent and want to do their own thing. It seems 90% of people on here want to set up their own gear, although this probably isn't representative of divers in these locations overall.

It seems to me that ~90% of the members who are participating in this thread want to set up their own gear, not 90% of SB's members. Quite a few of this thread's 90 percentile also love to chime in on the tipping threads, about how all they need is a ride to the site and a Captain with rescue training.

This is the New Diver forum, not the Infested Swamp Hardcore Divers forum. There are plenty of divers on SB who post frequently and have no desire to even dive in waters below 70 degrees or vis less than 40'. You folks really seem to get hot under the collar when it seems the truth hurts.

I doubt there are many dive boat crew that are setting up and changing tanks because they think it's the thing to do. We do it because the Boss tells us that is part of our job. If I was not doing the job my employer demands from me I would not have this job. If I was exuding attitude that generated customer complaints I would not have this job. If I was hurting the tips for the days I worked my coworkers would tell the boss to get rid of me. I don't care if a guest demands to set up their own gear, but all of the small number of such divers I've encountered have been unpleasant people to interact with. Good to hear that there are possibly pleasant divers who demand the crew not touch their precious gear!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

It seems to me that ~90% of the members who are participating in this thread want to set up their own gear, not 90% of SB's members. Quite a few of this thread's 90 percentile also love to chime in on the tipping threads, about how all they need is a ride to the site and a Captain with rescue training.

This is the New Diver forum, not the Infested Swamp Hardcore Divers forum. There are plenty of divers on SB who post frequently and have no desire to even dive in waters below 70 degrees or vis less than 40'. You folks really seem to get hot under the collar when it seems the truth hurts.

I doubt there are many dive boat crew that are setting up and changing tanks because they think it's the thing to do. We do it because the Boss tells us that is part of our job. If I was not doing the job my employer demands from me I would not have this job. If I was exuding attitude that generated customer complaints I would not have this job. If I was hurting the tips for the days I worked my coworkers would tell the boss to get rid of me. I don't care if a guest demands to set up their own gear, but all of the small number of such divers I've encountered have been unpleasant people to interact with. Good to hear that there are possibly pleasant divers who demand the crew not touch their precious gear!

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Maybe your attitude is the problem and not theirs. Youve decided that people who insist on setting up their own tank is unpleasant and people tend to pick such things up rather quickly, conciously or not..

I don't really like other divers setting up my gear !!! I won't turn purple or anything, but my gear is hand-off !!! I want to be the only one responsible if anything goes wrong during the dive ... :wink:

And I have a story on that case: Last year while in Jamaica, during SI between 2 dives, the DM was quite busy taking care of 5 or 6 new divers, setting up their gear, hauling tanks ... etc. I grab a tank for me, set it up on my BC, etc ... ( usual gearing up between dives ). I'm the first all geared up so I grab a tank for the DM, and slip his BC on it. I don't hook up the reg.

DM gets on the boat, sees I install a new tank on his BC, thanks me, but asks me why I didn't hook up the regs ? I replied that no one sets up my gear, so I don't set up anybody elses gear .... UNLESS THEY ASK ME TO !!!!

Back
Top Bottom