While on Vacation, Why don't u like other people changin your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not read this entire thread, but it's worth mentioning that part of the reason for some of the Cozumel DMs practice of setting up customer gear is because the boats are tiny and rocking quite a bit, and it's not safe to have customers moving around the boat or even standing up. I've been on several boats where this would be a major problem. I usually try to get on the boat a few minutes early and set up my gear before the boat leaves. If not, and the DM wants to attach my BC and reg, I let him, but of course I check it before diving, as any prudent diver would. I almost always end up adjusting the height of the tank. It's really no big deal.

These guys set up BCs and regs all day every day. It's not rocket science.

What he is referring to are not the divers who graciously decline the assistance of the boat crew in setting up their gear, but rather the ones who act like whiny petulant children who throw a tantrum when the other little boys and girls want to play with their toys too.

There is a difference between someone who acts like an adult in this situation and someone whose actions leave much to be desired (for boat crew and fellow divers both) and I think that he's seen too many divers of the first persuasion which is why he brought the subject up.
I hope you are right and I am misconstruing what he meant when he said:

Independence is important but do listen to instructions - you wouldn't ignore a pre-dive briefing so why be obstructive and belligerent about setup?

I'm not sure that instruction leaves room for a simple "no thank you, I've got it." Because the only thing at issue here is the setup of dive gear, so either he's issuing instructions that the crew sets up the gear or that's a complete non sequitur.

I agree with you that the sit down, shut up, and do as you're told mentality makes for a less than fun dive, but that wasn't the position being taken. It is possible to politely refuse assistance with your gear and maintain order rather then being so offended at the thought that ANYONE touch your rig that you effectively shut down operations while you "explain" why no one touches your gear but you. A simple "no thank you; I've got it" should be all that is required. However, if the crew does not respect your wishes after being informed of them then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Jason
You and I agree completely. But I would venture to say that even the most strident poster in the "hands off my equipment" camp here on the ScubaBoard is probably pretty polite about it on a dive boat. I have never witnessed anybody kicking up a fuss over the issue on any dive boat I've been on.

[I admit I have not read all the posts so please forgive me if this is totally redundant.]

I don't want the boat crew to handle my gear -- primarily because it is not "standard" recreational gear and too often it has been mis-handled by boat crew. HOWEVER, what REALLY ticks me off is when I say to the crew, "Please do not change out my tank, I'll do it myself" and then they go ahead and do it -- AND DO IT WRONG -- which means I must do it over and also check to see what else may have gotten screwed up.

I suppose I understand why some boat crew on "typical vacation boats" ignore their customers but, at least to me, that is NOT the way to earn my gratitude and respect. IF I want, or need, help in moving tanks, I'll graciously (I hope) request or accept the assistance. But please, do not pick up my gear in a way that pulls it apart -- let me do it myself. And yes, I really have the training to do that.

BTW, I just finished a trip on a "cattle boat" with 22 divers. The crew was fabulous and assisted the divers but did NOT attempt to get in our way. They expected us to know what we wanted and to be able to handle our own gear except when we needed, or asked, for help (and we did). Every one of the 13 dives over 2 1/2 days looked like a ballet as we all geared up, got in the water, had cameras & scooters handed to us, crawled out of the water, had crew take our fins off, etc. EVERYONE had fun and it didn't require the crew to do anything more than they needed -- even in some "heavy current."

I can see some points to the "hands off my gear" idea. But even when I change it myself on a boat after a dive I re-check it before the next dive. Just good practice. Many boat crew will move your gear to a full tank after dive #1. I still have to turn on my tank, check pressure and otherwise to the usual. Not to foget the pre-dive buddy check. Somewhere in there any isues should be noticed. So I really don't see the problem.

Even with my big camera set up the boat crew hands it from the tank to me a the start of the dive and puts it back in the tank at the end of the dive. I always check it as well. Don't see a big difference.

Now, if you are a tech diver with "confusing" gear to the non-techy then that is a different matter entirely. I know of no tech divers that will let just anyone fiddle with their gear. I do not dive techy but have had dive buddies geared that way. The pre-dive buddy check takes a bit of time. But I have noted their hoses out of synch and corrected some issues pre-dive. Still, I would not dream of switching a tech configuration to another tank. Of course usually they dive doubles and can do 3 dives on one fill when I need 3 tanks. And locally I dive 100 cf HP steel even.

The list of people I fell comfortable allowing to set up my gear is a bit shorter than the list I would allow to hold a loaded gun to my head (Not all of the people I trust implicitly are divers). It not so much a case of not trusting the boat crew to not do something dangerous, so much as not trusting them to read my mind and set it up exactly as I want it. It is easier for me to do it my way the first time than to double check, and reconfigure somebody elses work. And as a few others have pointed out, if I ever had a crew express any reservations about "allowing" me to set up my own gear (hasn't happened yet) I would not be diving with them.

BTW, I just finished a trip on a "cattle boat" with 22 divers. The crew was fabulous and assisted the divers but did NOT attempt to get in our way. They expected us to know what we wanted and to be able to handle our own gear except when we needed, or asked, for help (and we did). Every one of the 13 dives over 2 1/2 days looked like a ballet as we all geared up, got in the water, had cameras & scooters handed to us, crawled out of the water, had crew take our fins off, etc. EVERYONE had fun and it didn't require the crew to do anything more than they needed -- even in some "heavy current."

That's the typical SoCal dive boat experience. :wink:
We have our deck hands trained well.

I don't want the boat crew to handle my gear
Because you are ignorant about boat operations, no doubt. :D
I suppose I understand why some boat crew on "typical vacation boats" ignore their customers but, at least to me, that is NOT the way to earn my gratitude
I knew it--you stiffed the crew, you cheap bastard. :D
EVERYONE had fun and it didn't require the crew to do anything more than they needed -- even in some "heavy current."
You would have been the first to complain if you had been injured. :D

By the way, how does a guy like you afford a trip like that? :D

Last edited:
Personal preference like most others who have answered already. Prefer to check and set up my own. I trust myself with my gear and don't mind so much if someone has set it up but will be double checking afterwards.

I prefer to set up my own gear, and the gear of family members/loved ones diving with me. It's just a desire to live kinda obsession I have.

Here here, I always have set up my gear and my wife's, boat or shore. I am also a firm believer in owning not renting. If something goes wrong, which never has with my gear and my set up, been a diver since 1975, but who are you going to blame, especially if your dead? My daughter is now getting certified and she doesn't think she should buy her own gear and yet she tells me during her class one of the students primary regulator quit working and she had to go to her Octo. to continue. This is one of the largest most popular SCUBA stores in Houston,again rental gear and in the pool! What about OW, my god! I figure the current BC being maintained should last at least 10 years with a few dives a year, My regs. I have had since 1975, US Diver Conshelf series.:D

I am continually amazed at how Halemano will take every opportunity he sees to bang the drum for more or bigger tips. Give it a rest. As you say, the cheap bastards on Scubaboard don't dive in Maui anyway (I have, by the way--nice crater). Those of us who do tip get tired of the sense of entitlement among an ever-widening circle of tipees pleading for money every opportunity they get and abusing people who choose not to tip.

Outstanding post! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom