White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's only backwards if the shop is having a hard time getting DMs or instructors under those conditions. Looks like a simple question of supply and demand.

My favorite one was when my LDS told me that a dry suit worked just like a wet suit only it kept you dry and warm and that's why it was more a little more expensive - it was the guy working the galley on the dive boat that explained to me how a dry suit actually worked and how to get the air out of my dry suit. I could have ended up a human puffer...

But later, let's factor in the 40 bucks (x2 = 80) for equipment rental for checkouts, the "checkout fee" of ~100+, and two entries into the quarry (2x19=38).

So make that $120 + books (another 40-50), + ~218 for the certification. I'm wondering what the AOW I've put off for a few years is going to cost in "extras" this spring. I have the gear and the book, and I know what entry into the quarry will cost, but am wondering what the "checkout fees" will total this time around.

Scubatooth once bubbled...

well when i get people who give me a hard time about them i tell them to put there money were there mouth is in a distance and air consumption test, that stops most of them but the hard headed ones just learn the hard way, they learn that very quickly when i put my fins on and walk down to the water and get in and go and then have to wait 5 mins for htem to get in the water and with there fins on.

FWIW

If it takes them 5 mins to put their fins on they should have their c cards revoked. =-)

The best one I've heard is that scuba diving is only expensive on your initial investment. I don't know about you guys but I'm always finding something else I "need".:D

had to stay with PADI for all of my additional coursework. They justified that by telling me that some dive sites will not let you dive unless you are certified through PADI.

They've also told me that I must buy my equipment through a LDS, and never buy used equipment. (I guess they wouldn't make any money that way??)

I've only been there a couple of times. Other than that I avoid the place and I get all the information I need from SB. LOL

Scubatooth once bubbled...
they are struggling to keep up with me

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen. If that is true then you must be diving with people in leg casts.

WW

Well, it was *nearly* a white lie - an inadvertent one, though. They came in half an hour before I *had* to finish packing the car...

Wahoo! She's got regs... and she knows how to use them

Catch y'all when I next find an ethernet cable 'cause I'm off on one heckuva road trip - gonna be a Superior Girl for the next little while :kitty:

If they want you to work there and use the gear they sell, then THEY need to buy it for you. I wouldn't waste money on some BC I didn't really want just to get a job at the dive shop. Trust me, working at a dive shop generally sucks anyway.

If a dive shop does not allow you to use the gear you feel comfortable with, you don't need to work for them.

runvus4 once bubbled...
My dive shops were pretty good, only "white lie" that I can remember them telling me was "Diving is not an expensive sport"

Obviously not a PADI shop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom