Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

Well, that's a problem.

If you go to your profile you will see # of Logged Dives. I don't log dives anymore, so, get used to seeing my dive count. It is real and meets all stated standards.

I was more talking about the working divemasters that say "25-49 dives" I don't get it. But that probably just comes with my OCD.

I was more talking about the working divemasters that say "25-49 dives" I don't get it. But that probably just comes with my OCD.
Could be they just forgot to increase their # on the profile--I've seen it happen. I think PADI requires more than 49 dives when you complete the DM course to get certified--they changed those requirements a few years ago.
But good point. As I mentioned last page, under my picture to the left it says DM, 500-999 dives--not that 2/3 of them were 30' or shallower, nor that I'm "inactive" since 2015 (retired, etc.).

But that does not make number 1 and 2 good teachers. Do they pay attention to where the student is at. Do they try to make sure the student understands the important ideas in their own terms. If they see the student is having trouble with an idea do they go back and try to reinforce it. A good presentation can be no more than playing a video tape. A good teacher will work with the student and guide them and work from where the student is at. That may mean going through parts of the material more slowly than planned. It may involve repeating it again a few times.

Personally I think it is more in coaching and guiding and helping develop skills and knowledge than lecturing.
I agree with all that.
They need to be good speakers so as not to become distracting and to be able to keep a smooth flow going. They need to be friendly and likable so the students can approach them and feel welcome and comfortable. If that happens the info tranfers very nicely.
An instructor needs to be a very skilled diver themselves so they can also teach by example, not just in theory.
They need to be aware and conscious of students’ individual learning needs. They need to be patient, some students need three or four times before they get it. Real world practical experience really helps too to reinforce a point when story telling. At the risk of seeming too new age or femme, they also need to provide a nurturing environment, not a hostile competitive environment like the “good old days”.
If an instructor became an instructor just because they are on some kind of “trip” (whatever it may be) then maybe they need to rethink their intentions, it’s not fair to people who paid money to learn something.
And last, a good instructor knows that passing someone who really shouldn’t get a pass does no one any favors. They also need to be thorough and teach everything by the book as it was written and intended. That’s what people pay for and that’s what they should get.
If you can get all those things from an instructor, then I’d say you found a great instructor.

I was more talking about the working divemasters that say "25-49 dives" I don't get it. ...//...
Yeah, I get it. But let's go all the way down to the Zen of being able to let go of a thought.

Like this thread, I just wanted a way to judge where a poster's "head" is before I open my mouth. Professional (in the spirit of this thread) means nothing to me other than "does the object of my intended post consider him/herself to be a professional?" That modifies my thought process as to answering. it would be nice to have that flagged by the person of interest. The message didn't seem to get across. Oh well.

Back to the chase.

Nothing wrong with considering oneself a professional either, I seek out and pay money to professionals. I also use this board to vet them. I've been pleasantly surprised with this approach.

@Eric Sedletzky I see "Professionals" in threes. One who just made it to professional and wants you to experience the glow too. You gonna get a card as it ups the count. Second, one who is a 'Name' and is willing to assess you to his/her standards granting you a most valuable plastic card with a NAME on it and finally, a NAME instructor who realizes that you are not anywhere close to where you should be, tosses all the stuff aside, and attempts to rehabilitate you. (Editors aside: Sincere thanks, Edd)

@boat sju Hang on, keep the faith. The ride is so worth it...

Don't forget you need a professional who will get you in the water and finish class.

HA!!!!

Sweet Jesus! There is no place to hide. :)

I currently have serious issues with a nerve bundle out of C6. No can do at the moment.

So DYING to finish, but only if you bring your diver doll to show me what I should look like. :)

I've met far too many DMs and instructors who had far less experience than a number of the divers on this board. I had one instructor who couldn't attach her mask strap and put her BCD on her tank 90 degrees off (and said that was the way she'd always done it). I've met young instructors who weren't even born when I started diving (nor were their parents). Of course most of the dive professionals I know are wonderful and very knowledgeable people.
This reminds me of something: Many instructor pilots have been pilots relatively fresh out of Flight School themselves.

They were not there to pass on their great wisdom of flying, or because they had mastered the art, but to teach a set of skills that they had demonstrated proficiency at. Likewise it is with Divers. There are Divers with decades of experience, and wisdom to pass on, who know far more about diving than some Course Directors do, and there are instructors who know how to teach a set of skills. Being an instructor does not mean you are the end-all authority on diving, but that they are a person certified to teach a set of skills. Some may have more wisdom to pass on, and some may not.

A smart person listens to experience, not credentials.

Last edited:
A good post intended to share information will be respectful and will communicate the thought as well for a newbie, an instructor or a legend of scuba. If a person that is secure in their own self image is respectfully told something that is, for them, obvious and elementary, they can simply add to it from their own perspective. This develops a friendly discussion that stays on topic.

If someone feels they have to be more careful how they say something to a pro because they may upset them or be made to look foolish then perhaps they are not giving everyone the respect that they deserve.

I am very knowledgeable about building science and I teach and deliver lectures informally on the subject. I often don’t know the depth of knowledge of the person I am talking to. Often they are brilliant in the construction or engineering field. Sometimes they are physicists and sometimes they are experts in the field and know more than I do about parts of it but may have no construction background. I always present the material as if they are keenly intelligent but lacking in knowledge. I don’t want to leave them behind by assuming they know physics. The discussion will inform me of where to go and what they know. The important thing to remember is that they are deserving of my respect and if I stay humble then I will not risk being humiliated.

Mature and respectful sharing of knowledge is a true gift. Good mental health is a great asset in being able to take part.

You gonna get a card as it ups the count.
That is seriously demeaning and objectionable. It make you sound like a jerk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom