Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

Here's where I sit; Rescue Diver and another dozen or so c-cards, 112 logged dives, will be starting DM training this year, mid 50s. Still consider myself a new diver with a lot to learn and see.
Here's my opinion; it didn't take me too long to figure out which people posting were worth paying attention to and which needed the dose of salt. Even though I intend to begin coaching, I've already figured out there are areas that I disagree with the agency I'll be certified through. Figure most of the instructors I've had were the same based on how they taught and how they answered some questions.
As to whether someone is or was a pro and therefore their opinions on a forum such as this should carry more weight? Guess I don't see it that way. Based on the amount of education I've paid for vs my brother, someone could say my opinion is more worthy than his. But he gets to dive several times a week, year round, and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-700 dives. He has a LOT more practical experience than I.
I do glance at how many dives someone listed, based on their post, but not to determine if the opinion is worth heeding, but to have an idea of how long they've been enjoying this great sport.
Always enjoy a good debate. Never like seeing one degrade into a personal thing. Especially when it's obvious both know what they're talking about and probably agree about a lot more than they disagree about.
Look forward to learning a bunch from SB....

As a mod on a motorcycle site for the past decade, one mod cannot place another on ignore...:) I sure would like too, but I just ignore their posts....or I reply to piss them off. It's the Internet way of making friends :)

Pm me if...
Whoa... generally speaking for threads that seem to turn into sort of fights between great guys that just happen to not be diving on the same weekend .... what a concept! It's like washing dirty laundry at home ... Mind blown...

Edit /Addendum: And why does it always appear to be the guys that need to go on until both feel they actually had the last word...
That"s sort of a hard outcome to achieve, so why go for that? I mean that's all that's left if we do not talk to, but past or about each other and no one backs down...

Last edited:
...//... Always enjoy a good debate. Never like seeing one degrade into a personal thing. ...
First, I would like to say that I really appreciate your fresh input in this thread. I remember when I first started on this board and felt totally frustrated that I was being ignored. Throwing all my best stuff and nothin'. Frustrating beyond words.

The bonehead option is to try to take out one of the 'known' ones to gain the respect of the others. Don't go there, just makes you look foolish. No worries, you haven't, just some friendly advice. While I'm in the rare mood of giving advice, learn to acknowledge and take a hit. Builds character.

As for 'degrading into a personal thing'. Hasn't happened, not even close. Several old bulls are enjoying butting heads, sit back and enjoy. There are no hard feelings.

I started this thread, but I no longer own it. I love it when that happens...

Whoa... generally speaking for threads that seem to turn into sort of fights between great guys that just happen to not be diving on the same weekend .... what a concept! It's like washing dirty laundry at home ... Mind blown...

Edit /Addendum: And why does it always appear to be the guys that need to go on until both feel they actually had the last word...
That"s sort of a hard outcome to achieve, so why go for that? I mean that's all that's left if we do not talk to, but past or about each other and no one backs down...

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not, and haven't been, arguing with anyone on this thread...

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not, and haven't been, arguing with anyone on this thread...
Reading the thread, to me it sure looks like some do argue and it sure looks like over stuff that an early PM could have helped settling much faster. It looks like that to me anyway.
Hence my post which was meant as a compliment to your PM suggestion and a pun at it generally maybe being a tool not frequently enough used. My post was not meant as a specific reply to your specific post, except for me thinking that a PM here and there generally might help.
That's all I meant to express.

Reading the thread, to me it sure looks like some do argue and it sure looks like over stuff that an early PM could have helped settling much faster. It looks like that to me anyway.
Hence my post which was meant as a compliment to your PM suggestion and a pun at it generally maybe being a tool not frequently enough used. My post was not meant as a specific reply to your specific post, except for me thinking that a PM here and there generally might help.
That's all I meant to express.

Gotcha. I agree.

My post was not meant as a specific reply to your specific post, except for me thinking that a PM here and there generally might help.
Good advice. Avoid drama where possible.

Here's where I sit; Rescue Diver and another dozen or so c-cards, 112 logged dives, will be starting DM training this year, mid 50s. Still consider myself a new diver with a lot to learn and see.
Here's my opinion; it didn't take me too long to figure out which people posting were worth paying attention to and which needed the dose of salt. Even though I intend to begin coaching, I've already figured out there are areas that I disagree with the agency I'll be certified through. Figure most of the instructors I've had were the same based on how they taught and how they answered some questions.
As to whether someone is or was a pro and therefore their opinions on a forum such as this should carry more weight? Guess I don't see it that way. Based on the amount of education I've paid for vs my brother, someone could say my opinion is more worthy than his. But he gets to dive several times a week, year round, and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-700 dives. He has a LOT more practical experience than I.
I do glance at how many dives someone listed, based on their post, but not to determine if the opinion is worth heeding, but to have an idea of how long they've been enjoying this great sport.
Always enjoy a good debate. Never like seeing one degrade into a personal thing. Especially when it's obvious both know what they're talking about and probably agree about a lot more than they disagree about.
Look forward to learning a bunch from SB....
You hit the nail on the head. I too have 700+ dives, but at least 2/3 of them were shallow shore dives max of 30' (including, of course, the classes I assisted on). Where does that put me?
My detailed profile lists DM and number of dives ("500-999"). One could ask should I also add the % of them that were so shallow?
Then again, if someone needs advice on shallow cold ocean diving with rocky entrances at times with surf, surge and low viz, I'm probably the one to ask.

Last edited:
First, I would like to say that I really appreciate your fresh input in this thread. I remember when I first started on this board and felt totally frustrated that I was being ignored. Throwing all my best stuff and nothin'. Frustrating beyond words.

The bonehead option is to try to take out one of the 'known' ones to gain the respect of the others. Don't go there, just makes you look foolish. No worries, you haven't, just some friendly advice. While I'm in the rare mood of giving advice, learn to acknowledge and take a hit. Builds character.

As for 'degrading into a personal thing'. Hasn't happened, not even close. Several old bulls are enjoying butting heads, sit back and enjoy. There are no hard feelings.

I started this thread, but I no longer own it. I love it when that happens...

Appreciate the advice. And agree with the character building aspect. Get to deal with some other old bulls in another organization; looks very similar but in a completely different subject...
Overall, I've found a wealth of good info here. Appreciate the time everyone puts in discussing the wide variety of topics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom