Who has NEVER had something stolen in Bonaire?

Have you ever had something stolen in Bonaire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

been twice, kiteboarded mostly- nothing stolen. Use common sense and you will have a great time. By the way, this topic has really been beaten to death. Travel is an adventure, if you want to be assured you will not have any problems, keep diving the lakes and quarries at home.

People do it here in Florida, too. They leave wallets, keys, cameras... on the beach or in cars and are surprised at there disappearance. Only bring what you will use, credit cards, money, keys are waterproof. leave the windows down and doors unlocked, and no one will touch it. "They" are always watching.

We just got back from our second trip and have never had anything stolen. Our hotel had 24-hour staff or security and seemed very safe. We did not take many precautions on premises - left gear and stuff on balconies, in the unlocked truck - probably more lax than we should have been. A lax attitude and easy pickings helps tempt the borderline elements in society to stray.

We were more cautious in town and at the dive sites. Never left anything while at the dive site. But we did leave petty stuff in the back of the truck around town - weights, weight belts, tanks, books, without have anything taken.

Honestly my biggest concern about personal loss in Bonaire was getting dinged by a car rental agency for some sort of incidental damages. It's the only place in the world I've ever automatically taken the CDW (although this time I used the AMEX additional car rental protection program). The rental agency went over this beat-up truck with a fine-tooth comb when I picked it up, marking up every one of the 100 dings, scratches, and dents bigger than an ant accumulated over the years. Funnily when I returned it completely dust and mud-caked, you really couldn't tell whether I'd added a scratch or dent (I don't think think I did FWIW) unless you really washed the car. Since I'm sure they're really just interested in major dinner-plate sized damage, why don't they save the half-hour of their and my time doing a military inspection of a beat-up truck?

Back
Top Bottom