Who has travel plans for the August 21 Total Solar Eclipse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driving from Chicago down to Carbondale. Staying in the college dorms. Not as cheap as it should be but it was available, and we're sharing the suite with friends.
Traffic will be a nightmare coming home, that's a given, but it'll be fun.

I noticed that the path covers Lake Jocassee, SC, where I often dive. If only there were a hotel room available.

Driving from Chicago down to Carbondale.
That little town has really promoted the eclipse. Their website says "Scientists are predicting the weather will be clear skies with highs in the 90s," as if they have any idea what the weather will be like. o_O They also get the April 8, 2024 Total eclipse. :crafty:

I noticed that the path covers Lake Jocassee, SC, where I often dive. If only there were a hotel room available.
Kayak shows Motel 6 in Greenville for $68 that Sunday night.

Last edited:
My first eclipse was Curacao in 1998. It was our annual family dive trip to Bonaire when my then high school son mentioned there was a total eclipse in the far north of Bonaire while we were there. After a bit of research, finding that totality would be a mere 9 seconds somewhere in Slagabai I decided to book a morning flight to Curacao with a return in the afternoon. We left a beautiful Bonaire to arrive in the driving rain in Curacao. I had booked a rental car and went to the desk and heard one person being turned away. But they had our car. We got in the car and drove north, having no idea where we were going, just north. The clouds cleared. We saw a bunch of cars parked by the side of the road. So we parked and walked to a tiny bay. The hillside was filled with geeks with big cameras and telescopes. We played in the water and watched as a cloud covered the sun just before totality. But (as actually has happened to me several times) the cloud disappeared and we saw totality. And heard the hush just before the corona magically appears and the shouts as it suddenly does appear. I was hooked. This will be 8. I can't wait. I'll be in SC cause I have family nearby that I have been trying to persuade to join me. Mostly I get a what crazy thing is she talking about now. 2024--my front yard on Lake Erie. My life in retirement is planned around dive trips and total eclipses.

Got a camp site from an airbnb property very close to Painted Hills, Oregon for Saturday and Sunday night. So if there is absolutely gridlock between the tent site and the national monument (as I expect it to be madness), then I'll still be able to photograph the solar eclipse.
Painted Hills are amazing- Couldn't imagine a better place to watch the eclipse! Good for you!

I'm flying to Nashville and then driving about an hour north. I'm using it as an excuse to visit an old friend. Two pairs of friends will be traveling to Idaho for the eclipse.

My first eclipse was Curacao in 1998. It was our annual family dive trip to Bonaire when my then high school son mentioned there was a total eclipse in the far north of Bonaire while we were there.
This one: NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 1998 Feb 26

2024--my front yard on Lake Erie.
That does look like a good spot.

The Annular in 2023 won't attract much attention I don't guess, but I will probably head towards a dune park just over the line in New Mexicco. The Total in 2024 may get a lot of coverage tho, especially in Texas as it'll be total in San Antonio, Austin, Waco, Dallas, Fort Worth, etc. Traffic could be horrible so I am thinking (it's less than 7 years away) of stopping short of the center line at an ancestral cemetery I like to visit anyway, where they will get over 4 minutes of totality.

Last edited:
Viewing it from the comfort of my own home in Oregon!

Just be careful out there driving. Millions are expected to travel to the path of totality, so emergency services could be limited. Be safe :)

Viewing it from the comfort of my own home in Oregon!

Just be careful out there driving. Millions are expected to travel to the path of totality, so emergency services could be limited. Be safe :)

Unfortunately, Eugene isn't in the path of totality. You'll have to hit to join the masses on I-5 up to Salem if you want to catch the real show.

Unfortunately, Eugene isn't in the path of totality. You'll have to hit to join the masses on I-5 up to Salem if you want to catch the real show.
99% just wouldn't be the same, would it? Pioneer Villa truck plaza is only 25 miles north, gets 100% for 48 seconds, and someone posted earlier here about the dramatic effects of being just barely inside the path of totality. Albany is 45 miles north of Eugene and gets 1 minute 52 seconds of totality, about half the distance as Salem with about the same amount. The center line crosses I-5 near Akeny Wilflife Refuge 54 miles north but I wouldn't want to be on the interstate if I could avoid it. She could take exit 243 to the refuge and actually watch it from a road passing thru it, if safe parking exists.

upload_2017-8-6_18-50-46.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom