Who in Texas is diving a dry suit.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a DUI CLXse. Let's me dive all year round anywhere on the planet. I dove in Antarctica in 30F water for nearly an hour. Anyone want take my ice diving class in Feb 19-22? (Yes it is real ice thick enough to drive your truck on)

In that kind of temperature that's my swollen lips that's going to be a limiting factor - not the dry suit :D But having a full face mask will definitely help :)

...my 5/3 shrank on me over the summer.

I'm VERY interested in the White's Fusion, let me know how you like it! Which skin did you get with it?

The only Fusion I have seen in person is peppermintpaddi's. She has the tech skin in a S-M. She graciously allowed me to try it on, and it was a little short in the crotch. Warren over at Tom's ordered a demo, since he doesn't have any in stock.
I ordered the next size up with the LE skin, MK3 undies, and the new Fusion boots that velcro on. There was a problem with the initial order that caused a delay. It should be in next week.
Let me know if you want to see it.
Carrie

Last edited:
I definitely do! Keep me posted with your thoughts for sure when you get your first dive with it too. :)

This year we will be going back to Lake Okoboji, IA. (it is about 8 miles south of the IA/MN border)

I am currently investigating doing an ice diving trip to Colorado, but don't have all of the arrangements figured out yet.

I use a Henderson Ice cap that actually has just enough coverage on the lip to keep the searing cold away. The ice cap is a 2mm hood that you wear under your regular hood and it has a strip that runs over the top lip so the only thing exposed is the edge of your lips.

I nearly always find that it is my hands that are the limiting factor. I have dove with wet gloves (dumping hot water in them) and dry gloves, and it doesn't seem to matter, it is always the hands (sometimes feet) that eventually get cold and limit my dive time. (unless I run low on air of course)

If you are using a full face mask, what do you do if the first stage freezes up and you have to switch to the backup regulator? It seems to me that if you are using a full face mask and have to switch to backup then you lose both the reg and a mask? (unless there is a way to dual connect regulators some how?)

Hey Randy,

If the first stage freezes (yucko)

Yes, all units I have dove have usually a primary port and two accessory ports.
The accessory ports can be used for communications, surface valve or extra regulators.
For second breathing sources we usually use a slide stop to keep the gas from entering into the breathing loop. This is mainly if the secondary gas is a decompression breathing gas.
The only thing to watch for is if the front of the mask has an oral cup for breathing or if the regulator actually comes through and you are using the regulator into your mouth.
This is very important because the side (extra) regulators will not have a direct feed into your mouth and Co2 can build up in the oral cup area. However, it can stop you from removing the mask underwater.
Most people hang a second stage around their neck for bailout if they are not using an extra port. In your situation you would want the second stage to be run from a secondary air supply.

Scubapro has the cheapest FFM mask, but the Drager FFM seems very popular.
A lot depends on design and cost.
If you are looking at this I would talk to Ocean Technology, they have just brought out the new Guardian FFM. Plus, they sell to military and commerical.
link- Underwater Communications by Ocean Technology Systems, Buddy Phone, Aquacom, Scubacom, Buddy Line, full face mask, AGA.

I currently have a OTS MKI mask that I am rebuilding to dive underwater.
Hope that your family is well Randy.
Regards, Andrew

I doubt a dry suit is in the cards for me this winter, but maybe soon! We're building our house very soon (hopefully start something going in the next couple of weeks!) so keeping a tighter eye on finances while getting it started. Want to put as much down as possible.

Will wear my 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch when we make our annual Christmas vacation trek to Aquarena/Comal. It's great in 72 degree water, and I also wear hood and gloves. Dry suit someday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom