Who is going to Haigh Opening day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just seeing who will be going to Haigh March 4th Opening day?
If Its not Iced over, Seems like the Haigh web site is down for service, But I will call Tina as the date nears to see if conditions will let it open to the public.
Brad

I'm a wuss, when does Haigh usually get warm enough for us wet divers to go semi-comfortably? In 7mm w/ hood?

When does it get above 65 at the surface and above 55 at depth?

I was there at the end of Sept last year and it was great. When I did my checkout dives at the end of Oct a few years back I said I'd never go there again (it was that cold)!

I hope to buy a properly fitting wetsuit soon, hopefully that'll help instead of the luck of the draw rentals I've been using...

Brad, I will be there on two conditions:
1. My drysuit has arrived
2. It is not iced over.

I don't plan on ice diving at this point! Would love to open the place up though. I do plan on being there at some time in March for sure, conditions above pending.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get out to Haigh early March as well but that also depends on the arrival of my drysuit and arranging formal vs. informal training.

O'Malley:
Yeah, I'm hoping to get out to Haigh early March as well but that also depends on the arrival of my drysuit and arranging formal vs. informal training.

You should take a class for sure and do a little pool work when you get your suit. Bouancy IS different, and first time in the water, you might find yourself sliding all over the place. Weighting will change. You need to get used to working the new valves and practice manuvers in case you find yourself shooting up to the surface feet first!

I agree with Dean. It's always best to try somthing like that out with someone who knows what they are doing. Doing it in a controlled environment like a pool first is a good idea. Of course I would never take my dry suit into a pool. :)

DJ

Dean810:
You should take a class for sure and do a little pool work when you get your suit. Bouancy IS different, and first time in the water, you might find yourself sliding all over the place. Weighting will change. You need to get used to working the new valves and practice manuvers in case you find yourself shooting up to the surface feet first!

I don't see much difference between using a pool or playing around in 15ft of water over a platform on the shallow side. I'd be happy to hang around while you sort out your buoyancy, weighting etc.
Besides, a PADI class will teach you to use your suit for buoyancy, and then you'll have to learn how to use the suit correctly after the class anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom