Who is the oldest active diver on SCUBA BOARD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Osvidar

Reaction score
Colorado - too far from salt water not counting Gr
# of dives
200 - 499
The Sea Hunt threads are a nostalgia trip for me. I watched it religiously in high school (1964 grad).
At 61 I doubt I'm the old man of the sea but it'd be interesting to see who is out there.
Are you more ancient than me?
An LA County Instructor, I am a graduate of LA County 20 UICC. I went to off to fly Phantoms and haven't had a student since 1973. I taught at San Diego State Univ. (NAUI).
With the USAF I learned SCUBA in Tampa, Florida, got certified in Okinawa, with NAUI in 1968. Dove S. California from '69 - '75. Did some in Spain and Turkey in the late 70s. Palawan in the PI in '81. Then a long dry spell until my 17 year old got interested (Key Largo in 2006). We celebrated his certificationin Cozumel last Thanksgiving.
Any MacDill or Kadena 'Reef Rovers' out there?

I don't think Sam still actually dives though

64 and counting

Dr. Bill has to be on the list as an older, active diver.

I don't think Sam still actually dives though

yeah... I don't know that sam actually dives... or just reminisces about it :)

Doc Dockery might be a candidate. I'm not sure if/how much he dive anymore either though.

Doc is old as dirt and the supposed inventor of the Dive Flag and the past owner of Vortex Springs (Before the management change of last year). He still resides (at least part time) at the house at the springs. A quick google search shows he invented the flag in the 50's and was in the Navy in the 40's, so that puts him in the "older than dirt category".

his SB profile says he's 78 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/docdockery.html

question is whether he's still diving or not.

I think Sam still dives with his son. I don't mind being mentioned as a geezer since it's true, but I'm still a youngster (61) compared to some of the other Grumpy Old Divers (GODs).

I just turned 60. A guy I work on a ship with came down from Sebastian FL monday. His next door neighbor, age 60, 40 years diving experience, died the day before, while diving for lobsters. He was "healthy" according to my buddy. If you haven't had a physical in awhile, it might be time. If you die, you are ineligible for becoming the oldest active diver.

Back
Top Bottom