Who is the oldest active diver on SCUBA BOARD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I began my career in 1943 as a result of a very serious eye infection contracted by swimming almost daily in a poorly chlorinated YMCA pool --I became a "Goggler."

In 1948 read the "Last of the men fish" (--or was it the First of the men fish?) by James Dougan--still have the torn copy, same year tried to make a diving unit...a few years later made a re breather-- both worked but very dangerous.

By 1950 I had aquired a set of Churchills and a Sea Net

First SCUBA dive May 31 1950 or 1951- can't pin the date down.

Pioneer diving instructor...2 digits in LA county & NAUI and equally low numbers in the rest of the instructional alphabet

Featured in a number of diving books, authored and published diving articles in national and international periodicals , including the first guest editor of Skin Diver Magazine- almost 50 years ago.

Numerous local, national and a few international awards and honors.

For additional information please consult my SCUBA board profile or check Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry "Legends of Diving"

Thank You
dr sam,111
How many dives did you do since 1951?

yeah... I don't know that sam actually dives... or just reminisces about it :)

Doc Dockery might be a candidate. I'm not sure if/how much he dive anymore either though.

Doc is old as dirt and the supposed inventor of the Dive Flag and the past owner of Vortex Springs (Before the management change of last year). He still resides (at least part time) at the house at the springs. A quick google search shows he invented the flag in the 50's and was in the Navy in the 40's, so that puts him in the "older than dirt category".

his SB profile says he's 78 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/docdockery.html

question is whether he's still diving or not.
Sam: This is Doc. Yes I do still dive but I'm naturely not as active as I once was. I will be 79 on June 2, of this year and will return to our Life Estate Residence at Vortex Spring in early April. Each year I do Periodic controlled Oxygen diving for about one month in less than 30 ft. of water for health reasons and mostly off the end of the dock at my home. My wife and I just returned from an Eastern Caribian Cruise where I did manage some great snorkle dives. Stay active. Thanks, Doc Dockery

Mike S: I posted a quick reply to Sam confirming my age and diving status. Thanks for the mention and I'll see you in the Spring at the Spring (Vortex). Doc Dockery

Originally Posted by captain 64 and counting.

*** One of my dear friends whom I have known, admired and above all respected for a long time. (except when LSU plays USC) It is devastating to me to realize that I began diving (goggling) 2 years prior to the Captain's birth
Thank You
dr sam,111

Sam, you beat me by 15 years goggling but only about 7 with SCUBA.

The divers who began diving after the 1970's don't have much knowledge of the evolution of diving and the people who were the movers and shakers of diving who started diving on the way to where it is today.
Here is a good history, I can't vouch for it's total accuracy maybe Sam can.

Chronology of the Recreational Diving Industry

Sam and I at Portage Quarry

Attachments

• Sam & I.jpg
    Sam & I.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 181
Dave

I miss those golden days of yesteryear when we often did verbal battle with no winners and no losers-but had fun!--and concurrently thrilled a portion of the readers and bored a portion of the readers --

Recalling a phrase from one of my long forgotten articles
"Them wz th Daz!"

Maybe some day we will both be honored to meet up close and personal,

sdm

Thanks Sam, I would enjoy and am looking forward to it.

Don't think I am the oldest one around, but I am still diving even though I started late - Just turned 70 and got my open water certificate five years ago. Completed the course during the preceding year. It was one of the items on my to-do list after retirement. Haven't dived in more than a year, but am planning a trip for some time in the next few months. Only 40 logged dives and they are spread out over several sites (Great Barrier Reef, Nanaimo, Lake Ontario, Belize). Had cardiac by-pass surgery (3xCABG) about 11 years ago - maybe celebrate this year with a dive on the anniversary of having my chest cracked. Re: post of DenisS - just finished cardiac stress test, and then angiogram - I wanted to make sure I could handle a trek in Nepal where I would be exposed to altitudes of 20,000 feet. The results also make me feel a little more confident about diving - but I prefer to err on the side of being a wimp. Too much still to be seen and done.

Just got back Saturday from Belize 12 dives over 6 days incluing an awsome 143 feet in the great Blue Hole - I too hail from Lloyd Bridges and Sea Hunt Days - need those adventures on DVD to see what I really missedd and can laugh at.
Learned in 1960 from a former Navy Diver in Marietta, GA went on to Instructor in Atlanta with Vince Fezanni (Sp?) and Doug Baker then later while in USAF at Plattsburgh traveled to Rochester to do YMCA Leader Examiner and Scuba Instructor and in 1965 crossed certified with PADI and got number OWSI 451 -Dove in Maine and taught until out of active AF in NY and MO until 1975 then kept diving Florida (inland, panhandle, keys, and both coasts) and Gulf Shores, AL - have hit the Oriskany twice - too bad it is sinking further.
Great trips inclued Bonaire and Cancun(including the cenotes) with my son - certified nearly 20 years now, , Cozumel (including C-53), and a Blackbeard Cruise where I did 17 dives in 6 days (more than onyone else)them young studly whipper-snappers can't make it up for the morning dive.
Looking for a buddy to go to V I, Dominican Republic, or other exotic caribbean spot with bigger and closer sea life for UW Photography - so far Bonaire has been the best

62 years young.. I Dive 3-4 times a month since 1960. Started with Spirotechnique gear and canvas suit in Geat Lakes. I took my grandson diving at Deans Blue Hole in January, 2009. Flying since 1965. Took my grandaughter flying last November, 2008. Not even close to oldest but often grumpy.

Last edited:
I am still a youngster, but my wife got certified in April in Maui. She was 74 at that time and is now 75. We went to Catalina for Mother's Day weekend and will be in Akumal, Mexico for 2 weeks in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom